Friday links

1. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran October 20, 2017 12:51 pm

The more a couple spends on their wedding the more likely they are to break up. No great surprise.

Ha! 🙂 When my wife and I got married back in 1982, we didn’t have a lot of money, but it was our reality, things were the way they were and we dealt with it accordingly. We lived in Aurora, CO and my wife’s family lived in Ohio and mine in Western NY State, so we didn’t get help from either of our families and we did our wedding on the cheap. We got married on a Friday by a JP, celebrated with lunch afterwords at a nice restaurant with her maid of honor (my wife’s sister) and her husband and with my best man and his wife. We had the reception the next day on Saturday. The apartment complex that we lived in and I worked for gave us use of the party room in the rec center as a wedding gift, where we could hold our reception. We did order a bakery wedding cake. It was nice but it wasn’t multi-tiered, just a single layer cake. We made up some appetizer trays, cheese and crackers and veggie and dip platters. There was a place nearby that sold 6 foot long subs, so we ordered a few of those and sliced them up into individual sandwiches. We had chips and other munchies to go with the sandwiches. We also had spiked punch and a keg of beer. I set my stereo system up for music. I think the whole thing cost us less than $500 and everybody had a blast, it was a fun celebration of our marriage. Besides my wife’s sister and her husband and our baby nephew, it was just friends of ours who attended. Our marriage lasted 34 1/2 years and only ended when my wife died this past June 6. We almost made it to our 35th Anniversary, that’s coming up this Sunday, October 22.

Pat October 20, 2017 12:54 pm

I wonder if George Washington (of Centralia, born in VA) was born on George (1st President) Washington’s plantation, and if his mother was from that Washington family. Interesting.

3. Desertrat
    Desertrat October 20, 2017 8:04 pm

Math? I imagine the pay scale for competent mathematicians will be notably better than for the SJ finger-counters. “He can’t count beyond twenty without committing a social indecency.”

I was race chairman for several SCCA sports car races. I occasionally added special regulations to deal with past problems from previous races. I would let this year’s Iditarod problem slide for now. Next year? Drug use = disqualified. It’s up to the entrant to secure the food. Sad, but reality.

4. david
    david October 20, 2017 8:27 pm

Janet Reno said that the Waco massacre was ‘for the children’? I suppose that’s why she ordered the place burned to the ground with 50 women and their children inside. Where are the mass murder charges?

5. larryarnold
    larryarnold October 20, 2017 10:33 pm

I was race chairman for
    O.M.G. WHAT IS A “RACE CHAIRMAN” DOING HERE?
    several SCCA sports car races.
    Oh. That kind. I’m past cynical these days.

I’m guessing this new math doesn’t include a course in interpreting statistics, so you know when someone is blowing smoke up their arse.

The more a couple spends on their wedding…
    Could it be as simple as, people who spend $30,000 on a wedding haven’t been taught how to manage family economics?

In 1969 we had our wedding in San Antonio, at my wife’s Methodist church, and the reception in the Fellowship Hall. (Dry.) We spent our honeymoon in the Stagecoach Inn* in Salado, where it was originally built as a stagecoach stop along the Chisholm Trail. My wife helped me pick out a modest ring set. She’s still wearing hers, and I’m still wearing mine.

Tell your dog that she…
    Reminds me of a Ben Franklin quote:

One good Husband is worth two good Wives; for the scarcer things are, the more they’re valued.

* https://www.stagecoachsalado.com/

6. Arthuir Murray
    Arthuir Murray October 20, 2017 11:15 pm

RE: SJWs and math.

Not at all surprising; anyone who has observed the error laden math of any modern mainstream publication is well aware of the antipathy lefties have for arabic numerals. (One can only assume that leftists also fail to comprehend that not every society, especially Asian ones, share their revulsion to maths.)

It’ll take a while – a decade or two, probably – but I foresee a societal bifurcation in the making. We’ll know it’s arrived by the increase in bridge deaths in bluer regions. In the meantime, there will be benefit to knowing who actually designed and manufactured the mechanical (and electroniic) odds and ends we use for reducing the friction of everyday life.

Buckle up, Buttercup, it’s gonna get interesting.

7. Jim Brook
    Jim Brook October 21, 2017 8:47 am

Pecksniff – someone “hypocritically and unctuously affecting benevolence or high moral principles.” I was curious, so I looked it up in dictionary.com. It appears to be a perfect word for the context – social justice pecksniffs. My vocabulary has just improved.

8. bud
    bud October 21, 2017 5:51 pm

A scientific explanation of why she has put up with me for 50+ years: our wedding cost had to be less than $300, including the rings.

There’s also a new SJW “camel’s nose” named “Engineering Education” which has zero engineering content, but a simple way to get the “math is hard” folks into administrative positions in the Engineerig School.

9. R. L. Wurdack
    R. L. Wurdack October 22, 2017 10:20 am

Once you understand math physics is free, but engineering still commands a price. Over my years in engineering I hired between 650 and 700 new graduate engineers. (ME, EE, AE . . . durable product types) The first thing I looked at in their transcripts was their math performance. Second was their senior project – had they created or built anything. Administrative engineers are best applied as bookends or doorstops.