Midweek links

Comrade X November 7, 2017 2:57 pm

I am sure taking guns or making them harder to get from/for law abiding citizens will be the one thing that can stop the violent slimeballs in the future.

2. Desertrat
    Desertrat November 7, 2017 3:43 pm

A datum from the 1993 yap-yap over the assault weapons ban: New York state homicides omitting “normal” long guns and handguns claimed that of some 2,400 other homicides, three were via assault weapons and the remainder via fists, feet, knives and clubs.

In the 1970s, FirstWife was secretary to the dean of the computer science department at UT-Austin. She was thus den-mother to quite a few grad students, many of whom were from India. The STEM-grad demographics is not new.

A friend of mine was somewhat startled to find so many foreign engineers and geologists in the offshore oil industry. He designed foundations for offshore rigs. (Chinese steel bad, Singapore steel good. And, “When you’re placing concrete in 5,000 feet of water, you really pay attention to weather forecasts.”)

3. Bill T
    Bill T November 7, 2017 7:54 pm

I listened to news reports on my work radio all day whining about not being able to get into his smart phone. And while I kind of get their point, the potential for abuse of any back door is to great for me to say well okay for law enforcement. Because let’s face it they would abuse the crap out of it and it will get into the wild.

4. E. Garrett Perry
    E. Garrett Perry November 7, 2017 10:53 pm

I dunno what the US editions were saying, but the version of CNN.com over here in Czechia had “Man Kept Shooting From Getting Much Worse” as the headline for much if the first 24hrs, BBC and Al Jazeera both mentioned it as well. I don’t read Czech well enough to follow local print media with any reliability, but none of my local friends have acted surprised. I suppose this is why the EU-untouchable Gun Rights amendment to the Constitution sailed through the legislature on first reading. Hardly surprising the US media won’t touch it, but an awful lot of Europeans seem to be shouting “Bravo that man!” in their nation’s very poshest accents.

5. larryarnold
    larryarnold November 7, 2017 11:13 pm

not being able to get into his smart phone

Actually, getting into his smart phone is absolutely vital to completing the federal investigation.

I mean, we have a dozen red-flag violent incidents, a communication glitch between USAF and NICS, four completed federal background checks, Texas successfully finding reason to deny a LTC, and civilians stopping the bad guy.

The killer’s phone is the last place the Federalies can hope to find ass-cover.

6. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran November 8, 2017 6:37 am

Pilgrim had a good post in the Cabal where he listed each of the ways the Air Force and other authorities failed in reporting about the violent slimeball! Typical governmental example of the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing!