Before the storm: random ruminations on a not-quite-rainy weekend

Yesterday came sunshine — a brief respite between cold-and-wet and windy-and-really-really-wet. Thank you, November, for the small break.

I took advantage of it to go meet a local who wanted to buy St. Guinefort the Greyhound. He’d seen it at the county fair and didn’t have much trouble tracking me down because — as it turns out — he’s one of the few locals who recognize my name from my writing. It also turned out (small town and all) that we have mutual acquaintances.

Best of all (aside from the fact that he bought me a nice lunch and will give Guinefort a loving home) was that he’s the only local I ever met who’s actually a free-market anarchist. Boy, did we have a lot in common.

——

He also told me that one of our mutual acquaintances — a square blue peg in our round red hole of a county — quit speaking to him after last year’s election. And he’s not even a Trumpist. I swear, the world, or at least the left side of it, has gone completely bonkers.

But we knew that, didn’t we?

—–

Of course many on the right-hand side of the universe aren’t the sanest, either. As Kit Perez relates in the latest tale of threeper (or threeper wannabe) folly.

—–

The other day it was Sean Parker. Now it’s Roger McNamee, yet another F*c*b**k founding father, who has turned on the monster he helped create, comparing FB officials to Edward Bernays, Josef Goebbels and Nazi propagandists in general.

Couldn’t happen to a more deserving outfit, either. I look forward to the day when FB fals to the level of its former rival, MySpace.

I only fear that by then there will be something worse.

—–

This morning I finished the first draft of a writing project that’s been deviling me. Much more to do, still. But that’s it for now. I have no further words in my today.

In addition to the writing itself being a more-than-usual brain burner, I haven’t had the right glasses, which makes computer time perilous. Since my much-loved skull frames broke, I’ve been using a 14-year-old pair and ending too-long computer sessions with double vision. Interesting. Scary. But it goes away. (BTW, I didn’t find new frames to fit the lenses, but between sales and coupons I did manage to order a new pair — sans skulls, alas — online for $98, including progressive lenses and photogray. How good they are or whether they make me look like a freak I’ll find out in a few days.)

I’ve got to take break from brainwork and go do some physical labor on the ceiling of the bedroom-to-be. So you folks who are waiting for the next RebelFire excerpt, answers to your emails, book-promotion blurbs, or anything else requiring my presence at the computer … please be patient. I badly need a small timeout and rest for my weary eyes.

—–

In the meantime, have six ordinary things that can reveal your deepest, darkest secrets. 🙂

1. brew
    brew November 11, 2017 12:25 pm

“I only fear that by then there will be something worse.”

I never thought of that…. I just assumed effbee would whither and die, but not about the monster that may rise from the grave….

Pat November 11, 2017 1:04 pm

Re double vision: Tired eyes will for sure cause double vision, but
    1) Do your old (or new) frames slip slightly out
    of place? That can give you double vision, if you’re looking through the wrong distance when close up.
    2) I’m assuming you’ve had your eyes checked recently, and are not just using the same lens prescription in new frames. Cataracts can cause double vision, especially with night-time computer use.

Glad to hear St. Guinefort the Greyhound found a decent, loving home.

Claire November 11, 2017 4:21 pm

Thanks, Pat. The glasses aren’t slipping, but the prescription I’m stuck using now is very old. The prescription for the incoming glasses isn’t brand spanking new, but it’s only a couple years old and much better than what I’m using now. I’ll have a new exam sometime next year — promise. 🙂

4. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran November 12, 2017 5:10 am

We got our first snow of the season in the overnight of this past Thursday/Friday. It’s been cold as well with overnight temperatures dipping into the teens.

But we knew that, didn’t we?

Yes, people are losing it over a damn election! I’m sure you heard about the scream at the sky events “commemorating” last year’s presidential election that Trump won and Hillary lost and the apoplectics continue! I’m doing my best to ignore it all and go on with my life.

5. fred
    fred November 12, 2017 8:41 am

Ive been happy with Zenni optical online,crazy good prices.

6. Shel
    Shel November 12, 2017 7:02 pm

Garden variety reading glasses might suffice unless there’s a problem such as astigmatism. I go to a local flea market where the prices are considerably cheaper than the drugstore. The larger the number, the greater the magnification and the shorter the distance at which the lenses focus. So a -1.25, for example, will focus at a longer distance than a -1.75. If you measure the distance you normally are from the screen and choose lenses that focus at that distance, the lenses might work reasonably well for you, especially if the vision in one eye isn’t drastically different from that of the other and if you take into account the angle at which you hold your head so the frames hold the lenses in the right place for you.

7. deLaune
    deLaune November 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Yes, we’ve also had a respite from the cold. It’s been in the low 80s for about a week. At the beginning of November the temperature dropped into the mid 60s at night. Brr.