Tuesday links

1. DistOne
    DistOne November 14, 2017 9:09 am

Thank you Claire. The yellowface post made my day. New jobs are kicking my butt so not posting but love your blog.

Claire November 14, 2017 9:27 am

Thank you, DistOne. I hope your jobs are going okay.

And RV, I had something like that same thought, but failed to write it out. 🙂

3. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran November 14, 2017 9:37 am

Claire wrote: And RV, I had something like that same though, but failed to write it out. 🙂

Great minds think alike, Claire! 😉

4. E. Garrett Perry
    E. Garrett Perry November 14, 2017 10:18 am

Archaeology and Anthropology are frequently a case of “follow the garbage” in any case, neat to see such a precise application of that kind of analysis! Amerindian trade routes have been reconstructed based on isotope analysis and technique-mapping of knapped tools, but this is the most detailed and ancient use of documentary evidence that I’ve seen.

Claire November 14, 2017 10:48 am

“The solution proposed to protect U.S. power in this new “post-primacy” environment is, however, more of the same: more surveillance, more propaganda (“strategic manipulation of perceptions”) and more military expansionism.”

Oh yeah. That’s juuuuuust what we need. Good (if depressing) link, Laird. Thanks.

6. He Who Fakes It Well
    He Who Fakes It Well November 14, 2017 11:17 am

Face ID: They both look like turtles to me.

Claire November 14, 2017 12:45 pm

Man, that’s some “rifle.” Mind-boggling bit of tech foolery there.

8. Jim Brook
    Jim Brook November 14, 2017 2:57 pm

On that Facebook story, I have an idea. It’s really radical, so just bear with me, and try to open your mind to it. Here it is: perhaps you should not take nude pictures of yourself, and not let other people take nude pictures of you. Nah, never mind, that’s too extreme.

Claire November 14, 2017 3:19 pm

LOL, Dr. Jim. What a wild-n-crazy notion!

Once long ago (VHS days!), I allowed some quite daring images to be taken. But by damn, I made sure I had the only copy of that tape. Now? When digital makes every indiscretion unlimited and undying? Not a chance (not even if I were young and gorgeous and incautious). It boggles my mind that anyone old enough to use a phone camera doesn’t already understand the possible consequences.

10. Jim Brook
    Jim Brook November 14, 2017 4:05 pm

Dignity is a word that many young people should study. The meaning seems to be lost on many of them.

11. larryarnold
    larryarnold November 14, 2017 5:57 pm

Old enough? My SIL found my (then) 4-year-old grandson selecting a movie, having unlocked the “password protected” TV remote. Granted, given his heritage, my grandson is going to be a brilliant prodigy, but… Four?

Claire November 14, 2017 7:10 pm

LOL, larryarnold, that kind of prodigy is going to be “interesting.” Don’t give him any books by Kevin Mitnick as he grows up.