Monday links

MamaLiberty November 20, 2017 2:47 am

The head transplant thing is totally bogus. In the first place, the donor has to be brain dead first. Who wants a dead brain transplanted to their body? Or are they capturing winos in the back alley for this purpose? Good grief.

As for the turkey, I bought a small hindquarter (I like the dark meat best) and will cook it in my big crock pot. I make a German sausage and apple dressing (in the oven) to go with it. Nobody coming this year, so it will be just me and the dog. He loves the crock pot, and sits near it in adoration each time I use it. 🙂

Claire November 20, 2017 6:54 am

I agree it’s bogus, ML. But to clarify, it’s not really a head transplant; it’s a full-body transplant. So the dead person is giving a body to a live person, who retains his or her own brain.

MamaLiberty November 20, 2017 7:20 am

I guess… none of it makes any sense to me. I learned from long observation that it is really best to take care of the body one is born with. 🙂

4. ExpatNJ
    ExpatNJ November 20, 2017 10:46 am

MamaLiberty (112017 2:47am) –

Your dog probably likes the heat the crock pot emits, regardless of how well insulated it its. That, and the aromas, of course …

BTW, sorry for the lonely holiday. I’ve had my share of those, so I can sympathize.

MamaLiberty November 20, 2017 11:03 am

Don’t know about the warmth, but I know Laddie loves the smell. He knows he will get something good every time too. He has me well trained. 🙂

As for being alone, I’ve been a celibate widow since 1986, and am pretty much as hermitty as Claire. I love my family, but they are all at least 1500 miles away, and none of us has the money to travel… so that’s just the way it is. Being alone isn’t the same thing as being lonely, of course. I have good friends here, and can visit any time I wish, but I’ve just never been very socially inclined.

6. Shel
    Shel November 20, 2017 1:09 pm

Yes, there certainly are advantages to being alone. https://www.amazon.com/Solitude-Return-Self-Anthony-Storr/dp/0743280741/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1511211788&sr=1-1&keywords=solitude&dpID=51BY-CLD0JL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch We all see the emotional and intellectual destruction constant use of cellphones and other social media causes.

Though I don’t know how someone is alone if they have a dog. And Welsh Corgis always seem like they’re smiling.

Joel November 20, 2017 1:37 pm

Another timely piece of turkey advice…

8. John
    John November 20, 2017 7:05 pm

Yeah, cook the turkey!

That fellow “Pethokoukis” blathering about self driving cars is a pompous jackass. My opinion of course. Like his. I’ll be sure to give him a call next time I want him to plan my life.

9. John
    John November 20, 2017 7:17 pm

Also,
    about chasing a shoplifter.
    Why not just nuke him from orbit?
    Best way to be sure!

MamaLiberty November 21, 2017 3:42 am

Shel, you are so right. The corgi smile and that wagging rear end with no tail… a constant companion of unconditional love, begging for cookies with those golden, expressive eyes. Letting him in and out in sub zero weather can be a challenge at times, but he’s worth it! 🙂

Comrade X November 21, 2017 7:46 am

With the political divide taking place in this country today T day is not the same getting the family together event it use to be.

I’m finding more & more families where members can’t/won’t speak to each other anymore.

MamaLiberty November 21, 2017 8:12 am

Now, isn’t this nice… I have just been invited to T day dinner by the folks who board their horses here in the summer. I’m actually tickled pink, and will gladly put aside my hermit hair shirt for the occasion. 🙂 They have three delightful children besides. Can’t wait!

13. larryarnold
    larryarnold November 21, 2017 4:58 pm

We’re visiting for the holiday. TSA changed the drill for flying with a handgun again, but it involved waiting about 10 minutes for a pleasant-enough inspector to show and go through my suitcase for about a minute. (They always go through my suitcase regardless.)

Dinner will be a turkey (a bonus from my daughter’s employer) and the fixins. Company includes our two daughters, our son-in-law, and twin grandkids. Politics are compatible, and probably won’t come up.

I’ll believe driverless cars when I see them.