Happy Dead-Turkey Day

I was going to pop onto the computer bright and early to wish you a HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Then I woke up headachy and out of sorts. Bad day yesterday.

Headache’s better now, but I’m still in wait-and-see mode about the quality of the day.

Still. I hope you all will have, are having, or did have a great day spent in great company — whether your own or the company of family and friends.

1. ExpatNJ
    ExpatNJ November 23, 2017 12:46 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to you Claire, and all readers/commenters here.

2. Mike
    Mike November 23, 2017 12:59 pm

We had our Thanksgiving in October up here in the Great White North, but that’s OK. I hope the headache decides to pay someone else a visit and leave you alone. Have as happy a Thanksgiving as you can.

3. Ron Johnson
    Ron Johnson November 23, 2017 1:13 pm

Thanks, Claire, same back to you. The wife and I are having a strange Thanksgiving….we had Thanksgiving breakfast and we’re having Hors d’oeurves before she hits the sack. She has to report for work at 11:00 tonight at Target. She gets out at 7:30 tomorrow morning. Life of a retailer at the holidays.

4. larryarnold
    larryarnold November 23, 2017 1:20 pm

Actually, it’s only reasonable. The further north you are, the earlier you have freezing weather, the earlier you have to have your crops harvested, the earlier you celebrate a harvest festival.

Claire November 23, 2017 3:20 pm

So Detroit should have Thanksgiving later than Tallahassee?

Pat November 23, 2017 4:18 pm

No… Earlier.

Claire November 23, 2017 4:20 pm

Oh yeah. Earlier. Duh. Having a bad brain day today. But anyhow, let’s have every degree of latitude celebrate Thanksgiving on a different day!

MamaLiberty November 24, 2017 4:43 am

Sorry about the headache, Claire. I have been able to get rid of most of those by standing in a hot shower, letting the water beat on my neck and shoulders. Then get dressed fast, so I don’t get chilled. Some hot herbal tea to follow, and the headache is usually completely gone.

Had a wonderful day yesterday. Dinner with friends, and got to play with the children to my heart’s content. (They wouldn’t let me lift a finger to help with the meal or cleanup!) Was only there three hours, and came home exhausted, but I’d love to do that often. I have not had such fun with children in a great many years. 🙂

9. larryarnold
    larryarnold November 24, 2017 6:19 am

let’s have every degree of latitude celebrate Thanksgiving on a different day!

OTOH there is significant local control. Our city holiday parade was held Nov. 18, my church’s Thanksgiving Dinner was Nov. 19, and every store has its own Black Friday hours.

Glad you got to play with children, ML. We’re getting a whole week of it, and having a blast.

Claire November 24, 2017 6:32 am

“Except if you try to fine-tune it that close, freezing has more to do with altitude, proximity to large bodies of water, and prevailing wind direction than latitude.”

True. So if everybody at every location got to choose their own day to be thankful … we’d have anarchy. 🙂

“Claire, some of your renovations have involved vapor barriers and such, and it’s heating season. I trust you’re being careful about carbon monoxide.”

Very careful, larryarnold. Thanks for you concern. I have a carbon monoxide detector, which at the moment isn’t even needed because I had the one most likely source of carbon monoxide (the propane heat) removed. I’ll eventually have a new propane tank brought in, but until then I’m back to the PNW heat standard — electric. It’s not adequate on the really cold, damp days, but it’s safe.

I hope everybody who uses any potential CO-producing heat source will be very careful and have a detector or two around.