Should I disappear …

It’s probably not the feds (though you never know). I’m about to back up the computer then update the operating system.

You’d figure I’ve done enough OS updates not to mess it up. But … well, you never do know, do you? I’ll be updating from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS, which I’ve never done. Shouldn’t be too big a deal if Mint installs (or keeps) relevant libraries. If you Linux geeks have any dire warnings to offer … sorry, it’s too late. 🙂

1. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran November 28, 2017 1:49 pm

I used to be a Unix sysadmin and after the backup, the upgrade should be good to go. If your system gets flaky after the upgrade, you can revert to doing a fresh installation with the new OS, and just restore your data when it’s done.

In my present job, I’m doing more work in the Windows world than with Unix and in my work group’s experience with Windows, it’s better to do what we call a “flush and fill”, backup the data and do a clean install with the new OS, then restore the data, as we’ve almost always experienced issues with OS upgrades. Unix OS upgrades are so much more forgiving than Windows OS upgrades.

Claire November 28, 2017 2:38 pm

Well, I survived. Not all of my programs did, but I’m back.

All my alternate browsers disappeared, along with my kpat card games (and literally years of my records of wins and losses). The browsers and games can be reinstalled via the Software Manager, though it remains to be seen whether their settings were preserved in my /home directory (which I keep on a different partition from the OS).

The trickiest loss I’ve noticed so far is my VPN. Can’t find it anywhere and I suppose it’ll have be be re-done from scratch, since it’s not an item the Software Manager can supply.

Still … I’m here. The computer’s working. Not too terrible an update.

Claire November 28, 2017 2:42 pm

Oh good. My kpat stats survived. As did the history (but not the open tabs) on my main alt-browser. Not bad. That gives me hope that I’ll eventually find and resurrect that darned VPN.

But now it’s time for the afternoon dog-walk-in-the-rain. Oh goody. Off I go.

4. fred
    fred November 29, 2017 4:54 am

Good news,well done!

5. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran November 29, 2017 12:25 pm

Good news that the upgrade went well for the most part! How did the reinstall of your VPN go, Claire?

Claire November 29, 2017 2:20 pm

RV — Everything else has gone well, but I haven’t even tackled the VPN yet and am not sure when I’ll get to that. Thanks for asking.