Tuesday links

1. Bear
    Bear November 28, 2017 11:44 am

Socialist American has been a junk science rag for decades. I dropped my subscription in the early ’90s. This isn’t exactly the first time they’ve pushed gun control either.

2. Dana
    Dana November 28, 2017 2:02 pm

Ars implies the Konopka ruling was just issued yesterday. But the Boston Globe seems to suggest Superior Court Judge John Kissinger actually issued his ruling back on Wednesday, November 15. It appears Dr. Anna Konopka then filed a Motion for Reconsideration exactly one week later, on Wednesday, November 22, and that NHPR finally got around to reporting on it yesterday.

If the Globe is right, that would suggest to me Dr. Anna Konopka intends to take it to the NH State Supreme Court. But we’ll see.

In other legal news, it appears the fed Supremes will soon get to compare decorating license plates with decorating wedding cakes.

3. Desertrat 1
    Desertrat 1 November 28, 2017 5:33 pm

Iffen this ain’t Heinlein’s Crazy Years, it’ll do ’til they get here. What bugs me is how bunches of people think that this is the way things are supposed to be. I have great difficulty with that idea.

4. larryarnold
    larryarnold November 28, 2017 9:41 pm

decorating license plates

That’s freedom for you. On one side we have the politician who thinks freedom is so important he’s going to force everyone to have it on their license plates, and on the other side is the guy who doesn’t believe he’s free so he demands the freedom to remove it from his license plates.

5. E. Garrett Perry
    E. Garrett Perry November 28, 2017 10:30 pm

You ain’t just whistlin’ through your eyeteeth, Deserat. Heinlein and Gibson were nothing short of got-the-memo-from-Metatron prophets a far as I’m concerned. The Crazy Years are here, and as a former Dormitory Manager at a boarding HS with a large contingent of media-addicted students I can tell you that the Black Shakes are absolutely real. My real worry is Nehemiah Scudder.

6. firstdouglas
    firstdouglas November 29, 2017 5:31 am

No kidding re The Crazy Years. I’m reminded of them while going over the Drudge headlines, finding Heinlein-toppers nearly every day.

7. larryarnold
    larryarnold November 29, 2017 7:36 am

And then there’s poor Claire, trying to come up with crazy plot elements for her new RebelFire novel.

Claire November 29, 2017 8:54 am

Ohhhhh, you guys are so right — and you in particular, larryarnold.

I had to give up writing satire long ago because the political world became so completely self-satirizing. These days I’m amazed at those who can do “speculative fiction” successfully.