Well, alrighty then, PayPal

Since I had the afternoon off from home improvement (thanks to the Monk’s malfunctioning truck), I thought I’d get a few useful things done.

Ava and I have walked in the sunshine and I’m headed to the drug store shortly to get myself shot up a pneumonia vaccine. Meantime, I finally — almost — talked PayPal into doing something I badly needed it to do.

Now before I explain this PayPal something, let me reiterate that I am not-not-not soliciting donations. I’m sitting quite pretty at the moment (thanks to the usual help from my friends) and won’t be having a fundraiser until early 2018. But …

I’ve been planning to replace the old donation link (which charges fees on the receiving end) with a new PayPal.me link, which has no fees on my end and none on yours if you pay via your PayPal balance or a linked bank account. You can use the link even if you don’t have a PayPal account. Just pay by credit card for a very small fee.

Anyhow, I created the PayPal.me link a few days ago, but discovered it automatically puts my location on its pretty little banner. And I couldn’t change that. They’d welcome me changing my picture. And the banner color. But location was fixed for all the world to see. Seriously now, how many people want their location blatted out online — particularly women who’ve been stalked, or public/semi-public sorts (both of which I am)?

PayPal support was less than helpful when I tried to get them to tell me how to change my location to the ficticious “Pacific NorthWET.” Nor would their account management system let me enter a new addy with that as the city name. The city to be revealed in the banner had to be a real place.

But I think I finally came up with a location that will please longtime readers and ensure that nobody has any doubts about whether or not it’s me. Ta-da!:

Unfortunately, it only worked if I made Gold Bar my primary address. Now every time I buy something using PayPal I’ll have to remember to doublecheck the addy to ensure that shipments don’t end up being sent to a vacant lot in a town where I don’t live (but would be proud to).

Oh, and for future reference my PayPal.me link (notice how fond I am of repeating that) is in the sidebar on the right, along with a Bitcoin link and all those other shameless appeals for money that I assure you I am not seeking right now.

1. MacGregor Phillips
    MacGregor Phillips December 8, 2017 8:09 am

Just tried out the PayPal.me link. If there is a way to make this a recurring monthly donation please let me know.

Claire December 8, 2017 8:17 am

🙂 Got it, Mac. Thank you.

I looked for a way to create recurring payments via the PayPal.me link. According to their FAQ, there are ways for me to set it up to ask for specific amounts and/or to change the currency from USD to something else. But nothing on recurring payments. Which is strange because that’s a common thing to do on PayPal.

I know recurring payments can be done with the old donation link, so maybe I’ll have to bring that back. I think I’ll ask PP whether the new link can be made recurring.

Comrade X December 8, 2017 10:16 am

Gold Bar does have a ring to it!

4. Laird
    Laird December 8, 2017 10:53 am

If you ever get tired of “living” in Gold Bar there is a Hardeeville, SC you might find to your liking!

Claire December 8, 2017 10:58 am

Oh, that’s right! I’d forgotten; one of my old Hardyville column readers was from Hardeeville.

Since people will be expecting me to live in the NW, I thought I should confine myself to this area. I have a backup addy in Humptulips, WA. (Some people think Humptulips has a ring to it, also, even if it’s a ring that either embarrasses them or sets them rolling on the floor laughing.)

I decided against Boring, Oregon.

6. John
    John December 8, 2017 2:24 pm

Yeah, I looked. “Humptulips Syndrome” I’m told.

Grays Harbor Talk –

“Humptulips wasn’t named by English speaking people at all. Humptulips is a Salish word, named as such by the Chehalis Tribe a few thousands years ago.”

Sure,
    I can roll with that. 🙂

Article adds:
    The word and name Humptulips means “Hard to Pole.”

7. ellendra
    ellendra December 9, 2017 6:13 am

Would it work to put the Backwoods Home/Self-Reliance Magazine headquarters for your address? That way if you forget to change the shipping address when ordering something, they can still forward it to you.

Claire December 9, 2017 7:43 am

Interesting idea, ellendra. But they would regard that as an imposition. I’ll just have to be very conscious when I use PayPal for something that needs to be shipped.

Clever, though, to think of Gold Beach. 🙂

9. Ruth
    Ruth December 9, 2017 5:17 pm

Paypal……

A couple months ago I attempted to pull funds from my bank account to my paypal to make a purchase. My bank refused the draw because I’d apparently maxed out the legal number of online transfers you’re allowed to make in a month. I was only vaguely aware that was a thing, but whatever. Except somehow Paypal decided that meant that the bank account had been closed (and sent me an email stating that), and removed it from my Paypal account for me. Annoying, but not the end of the world. Except that I couldn’t add the account back onto my Paypal. I tried several times over the span of a week before finally giving in and calling them. The support guy I ended up with was very confused, but thankfully stubborn. Apparently instead of actually removing the bank account from the paypal account they’d only “deactivated” it. So it was still attached, it just wasn’t useable. He fixed it, all good.

Then Thursday I attempted to use my paypal mastercard to make purchase at my local pharmacy. More than enough money in the paypal account to cover the purchase. But it declined. I payed for my prescriptions with my credit card, went home and called paypal. They’d temporarily deactivated the card due to “suspected theft or fraud” and hadn’t notified me. The phone support guy was a bit baffled, but was able to reactivate it and I have since used it on another purchase, so it works.

I’m waiting to see what they’ll “deactivate” next……