Patreon rescinds

Email to creators, just arrived. Patreon will not be rolling out the fee change that caused what one creator called the “Patreonpocalypse” (H/T MJ):

Dear creators,

From the bottom of our hearts, we’re truly sorry. Last week’s service fee announcement caused a tough week for you, your patrons, and your teams. We were trying to solve a problem for creators and, in turn, caused more problems for you and your patrons.

You’ve spoken loud and clear. We’re not going to rollout the changes to our payments system that we announced last week, and are currently assessing other options.

They followed that with a no-excuses blog post, acknowledging virtually everything they did wrong — the extra-hard blow to small patrons, their failure to consider that small patrons are often supporting multiple creators, their failure to find out what creators wanted, all of it.

Kudos to them for that.

They still perceive a problem with their fee structure, which they plan to address. Hopefully, they won’t land it on the backs of $1 and $2 subscribers or handle it so disingenuously next time.

I hope to see a few of you back, or back at your former subscription levels. Here’s my Patreon page.

Comrade X December 13, 2017 4:26 pm

Good for them!

2. LibertyNews
    LibertyNews December 13, 2017 5:12 pm

Patreon really needs to make it easy for people to see who they used to support.

Claire December 13, 2017 6:48 pm

I agree, LibertyNews. I hope they do that. Some creators lost significant numbers of patrons. It would be good if Patreon went the extra mile to help them reconnect.

4. Paul Joat
    Paul Joat December 14, 2017 11:14 am

I read this on a forum where they were talking about the fee change:

“I just got an email from Patreon apologizing for this mess, so I presume the rest of Doc’s Patrons will get one as well. One of the things they included is a link to a page that allows me to re-pledge the artists that I dropped in protest to this change. That makes it easier, and I appreciate it.”

So hopefully some of them sign back up. I haden’t gotten around to dropping some of my $1 pledges and now I can add a few more.

Claire December 14, 2017 12:56 pm

I’m so glad they sent info to enable re-pledging. Thanks for the heads-up on that, Paul.

I lost only two patrons, and had another trim the size of his pledge. I felt fortunate. I know others lost much more, but above all I felt sorry for the patrons who were enjoying supporting 10 or 12 creators and got slapped in the face. I don’t think Patreon will be so foolish again.

6. Paul Joat
    Paul Joat December 14, 2017 2:05 pm

I was going to drop some this weekend, most of my pledges were for $1 and the .35 per would have been a big bump in monthly payments.

7. fred
    fred December 14, 2017 5:27 pm

I remember Jack did an interview in Pomplamoose guise where he talked about how he became a CEO.Something he never imagined,and how surprised he was that he could do it.And how he had made mistakes because he just didnt know any better,no experience.
    So its really great he acknowledged the mistake he made on the fee’s.
    WELL DONE JACK!

8. fred
    fred December 14, 2017 5:36 pm

Cant do a single payment on Patreon? So I sent a paypal instead.
    🙂

9. fred
    fred December 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Oh,paypal.me hit me for a small fee on acct hooked to my bank atm/visa card,I wont link my bank acct to them so guess thats a card transaction.Doesnt matter,fee is perfectly reasonable.Sorry for the posts,was to late to edit to post above.

Claire December 14, 2017 7:09 pm

Thank you, fred. Got it. That was nice of you. Yes, they do charge for using PayPal.me with credit/debit cards. I’m glad it’s a very reasonable fee.

“Curious if I may ask? Will 200/month in donations (your goal on Patreon) make up for Amazon losses?”

Yes and no. It would make up for the regular monthly loss, but not for the collapse in holiday sales, which in the past have accounted for about 1/3 of overall Amazon revenues. Patreon helps “keep the lights on,” though. And so far, those angels I’ve mentioned are more than making up for whatever Amazon lacks.

I’m shocked at the collapse of Amazon holiday spending (there’s finally been a slight pick up in the last week), but thanks to the angels, I’m absolutely not hurting.

I’m also wondering if Amazon itself is seeing a serious drop in sales (that is, if it’s not “just me”). The Seattle Times had an article a few days ago about Amazon’s job listings dropping way, way off — from 9,000 positions last summer to 3,500 now, at Christmastime.

Claire December 14, 2017 7:18 pm

“WELL DONE JACK!”

I didn’t realize he became a “surprise” CEO. Thanks for the background. Patreon really did everything right when they cancelled the fee rollout. They stood up like real mensches.

12. fred
    fred December 14, 2017 11:26 pm

Wish you had a public email….

Having several funding sources allows us to support you without having to go against our personal beliefs as to what is a good funding channel we can support,or an outfit someone cant personally support in good conscious.

I personally find Paypal ‘acceptable’ and Patreon a great company,run by artists for artists…others dont.Options,great concept.Something for everyone.

I think you are dialing this in well and adapting to the never ending changes.Hopefully you will be just fine with the changes,maybe even better.

Just let us know.

Edit- Folks..If you cant reach the post button after comment,just use tab key to scroll page down.

Claire December 15, 2017 7:01 am

“Just let us fans know when you are running short,we will have your back.Maybe we arent big donors,but many little donors can still add up.”

Thank you again, fred. And amen, bruthah on the value of donors of all sizes and varied revenue sources.