Wednesday links and chit-chat

• Astronomers are taking a closer look at interstellar space object Oumuamua. Might it really be a probe from … out there? I usually dismiss such claims as media and true-believer overreaction, but this is definitely an odd one.
  • Like Wendy McElroy, I’m glad Roy Moore lost yesterday. Whether he’s a pedo-predator remains unproven. That he’s a theocratic demagogue is fact.
  • A Vice investigation reveals that shootings by cop are far more common than previously reported. Now it’s a matter of distinguishing righteous shootings from the activities of Officer Thug and Officer I Am Scared.
  • How “smart” do you want your kitchen to be?
  • He gave Amazon a key to his house. He regretted it — but not for the reasons you might suppose.
  • Is the D.C. area’s $40 toll road the future of driving? (Yes; more governments are considering a switch to traffic-based toll amounts.)
  • Well, better that, I suppose, than Uber’s $14,400 charge for a 20-minute ride.
  • Agenda-driven, but still: A Trump administration proposed rule would enable restaurant management to seize servers’ tips.
  • If disqualified gun buyers aren’t dangerous, why are they disqualified?

I am feeling run over by a truck today. In a good way, you understand. The Wandering Monk and I accomplished two solid days of work before he wandered off to spend the rest of the month working on his own old wreck of a house and taking off as much of the winter as he can afford to take.

He’s promised me a couple of days each month for the portions of my winter projects requiring his skill and strength. In the meantime it’s my job to recuperate, then get back to both earning a living and drywalling/mudding.

Not today, though. Today typing this feels like hauling sledges to build the Great Pyramid. Between climbing a ladder for two hours Monday and playing minion to the Monk yesterday while also attempting to get some of the trickier work done on the bedroom ceiling, both brain and body have had it.

MamaLiberty December 13, 2017 11:42 am

“Smart” stuff in the kitchen? No thanks. I like all of my dumb appliances in my dumb little log cabin, and don’t intend to change it.

2. Myself
    Myself December 13, 2017 11:55 am

In my kitchen I’ll keep my well seasoned cast iron pots and pans and my old gas stove

As for Alabama, I’m with you, I couldn’t be happier Moore lost, for not just the reasons you state, but also it brings the Senate one step nearer to glorious gridlock

3. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran December 13, 2017 1:04 pm

Trump Tweeted the following about Roy Moore’s loss to Doug Jones:

The reason I originally endorsed Luther Strange (and his numbers went up mightily), is that I said Roy Moore will not be able to win the General Election. I was right! Roy worked hard but the deck was stacked against him!

He was right. I had no horse in this race, but I did follow it and Moore is an alienating individual.

4. Desertrat 1
    Desertrat 1 December 13, 2017 2:55 pm

I’ve been smart enough to deal with life itsownself for many and many a year, much less kitchens. Once technology advanced to the microwave oven, they’d gone as far as my kitchen needed. 🙂

5. larryarnold
    larryarnold December 13, 2017 4:08 pm

In a county precinct meeting back in the day a delegate made a platform proposal that, since the Pilgrims and Puritans and a bunch of other religious groups came over during the Colonial period, that they must have meant for the new country to have a Christian government.

I reminded the folks that the Pilgrims, Puritans, and other groups she listed came to the colonies to escape from Christian governments.

Then I got to watch her cognitive disconnect.

Comrade X December 13, 2017 4:45 pm

Mitch and Karl are happy, they would rather have a democrat than a republican who they can not control.

“That means that Form 4473 – and no, I don’t like it, and I think it’s an infringement, and it could easily be turned into a FedGov gun registration list, and therefore is a dangerous thing that ought to be abolished – is not yet a FedGov gun registry.

Not yet.”

If not yet then how can they find out where the mass shooters bought their guns? It seems that is some of the news that doesn’t get covered up at least.

“wink wink” we don’t keep records, unless we need it; oh of course!

7. 20
    20 December 13, 2017 10:20 pm

While I’m thinking about it, and prior to reading the other stuff, re: Vice…

Vice says 1378 people killed in 2010-2016 (8 years).
    Using the totally disingenuous data from Bloomberg-driven Reddit postings, 2488 people killed in mass shootings between 2013-2017 (5 years).
    Averaging and comparing, that’s 172 people a year killed by LEOs versus, 500 a year killed in dubiously categorized “mass shootings.”

That’s…disturbing. That’s a substantial portion of the killings that occur in the US in a year that are directly the result of officers.

I wonder if anyone has informed Mr. Bloomberg. Or Mr. Juliani, for that matter. :-/

8. Historian
    Historian December 18, 2017 11:23 am

When nailing overhead, or in tight places, or underwater, I find a ‘peashooter’ extremely handy. I made my first one about 35 years ago and still use it.