Bedroom closet (and the difference between people who know me and people who don’t)

Still have to put on the baseboard molding (tonight, maybe) and clean up the mess, but other than that the inside of the bedroom closet is now Officially Done.

Nifty, eh?

That’s a Rubbermaid Configurations organizer for 3-6-foot closets from Home Depot. Reviewers praise them and it was certainly easy to install and seems sturdy. But I’m not giving it my full v*te of confidence until I see how well it bears weight.

The Chinese cabinet and Indian wall hanging I picked up at a storage-unit sale a couple of weeks ago. They give the closet a nice touch of class, don’t you think?

—–

At a contractor’s garage sale yesterday:

Me: (Prying open a half-used five-gallon bucket of joint compound to see whether it’s still fresh)

Contractor: That’s a bucket of plaster. You use it for …

Me: I know. I’m just checking its condition.

—–

Me: (Spotting bundles of trim). Oh, hey. Crown moldings. They’re getting hard to find. The lumber yard doesn’t even carry them any more.

Contractor: Those are crown moldings. You use them for …

Me: (Rolleyes)

At lunch yesterday with Furrydoc:

We are belatedly exchanging Christmas presents.

Me: Oh, I almost forgot to open the card. (Rip, tear) OMG! A gift certificate from the lumber yard! Best Christmas gift ever!

Yep, that’s the difference between people who know me and who don’t know me. πŸ™‚

—–

Actually, the contractor does know me. We’ve been nodding acquaintances for years. He’s the nicest guy you’d ever want to meet. Helpful and decent and honorable and (as far as I know) good at his job. He’s just incredibly, unintentionally, ceaselessly patronizing. He’s one of those guys who’ll never get past thinking of women as creatures designed solely for marriage and motherhood — helpless ninnies when it comes to anything else.

Once he was at my house with another contractor, a tree guy. The tree guy asked, “Are you married?” A question I didn’t mind because in the context of our discussion he clearly meant, “Do you have someone around who can do heavy lifting?”

Before I could respond, the garage sale contractor piped up, “No, but she really wants to be married!”

Nicest guy you’d ever want to meet. But you see why I never hired him. Great garage sales, though. Twice a year. Gotta love that.

Pat January 7, 2018 4:01 pm

Nice closet – and it’s bigger than I had imagined, judging from the hall pictures.

Gather all those people who know you, and they’re the ones you want in your “ideal” community.

2. Fred M.
    Fred M. January 7, 2018 4:11 pm

Only one t-shirt in the closet? Send me your snail mail address and I’ll help you fill it up some more. 😎
    Good job Claire!!

Claire January 7, 2018 4:43 pm

LOL, Fred M., consider that a “proof of concept” t-shirt. Plenty more will join it. No further help needed, thank you.

Pat — The closet surprised me with its spaciousness, too. It was such an odd space to fill that I couldn’t envision whether my plan for it would work or not. I’m pleased. It’s such a relief when something actually works. πŸ™‚

4. Mike
    Mike January 7, 2018 6:07 pm

OK you win, I now have closet envy. Good job on the closet. Your experience with the contractor and his trying to tell you things you already know is one that I’m sure we have all been through.

5. brew
    brew January 7, 2018 6:44 pm

The vid link led me down some good times with the Ron Swanson…. oh man how I love that character….

Claire January 7, 2018 7:03 pm

And Mike, I assure you that closet envy is highly curable. πŸ™‚ The medicine costs very little, though it may seem as if it takes forever to self-administer.

7. brew
    brew January 7, 2018 7:21 pm

I’ve never seen the show either, just stumbled into some yooztoobz video a while back and went down the rabbit whole with the Ron Swanson…. there was an hour long ‘best of’ that’s since been taken down but oh man, that was some good stuff….

8. larryarnold
    larryarnold January 7, 2018 10:28 pm

Ran into one of those guys last week. He told me all about how dangerous it was to try and teach women to shoot because they would never listen to what you had to say.

I think I kinda figured out why women don’t listen to what he has to say.

My wife has similar storage units in her sewing room, and they work fine for cloth and sewing supplies. I don’t think I’d want to store ammo in them.

9. Jolly
    Jolly January 8, 2018 6:45 am

10. ellendra
    ellendra January 8, 2018 8:16 am

Nice closet!

My sympathies on having to deal with the mansplainer. I’m unfortunately related to several people like that.

Claire January 8, 2018 9:59 am

ellendra — Thanks. And yeah, I grew up with one of those. Actually, not so much an explainer as a person who had to answer every question, whether or not it was directed to him and whether or not he knew anything about the subject.

I don’t like the term “mansplainer,” though. It’s divisive and the habit isn’t only practiced by males. In fact, I see a lot of “womansplaining” going on as female celebrities and academics suddenly feel the need to lecture the rest of us (and especially the guys) about how evil, inferior, deplorable, etc. we are. Besides, if words like mansplaining are fair, then how about “womanjabbering” for people who talk too much? Or “femfluttering” for people getting over-excited about things?

Uh unh. Don’t want to go that way.

Claire January 8, 2018 10:01 am

LOL, Jolly and larryarnold. I don’t know about women being better shots (I’m a terrible shot, myself). But I’ve definitely had several trainers tell me they’d rather teach gun skills to women than to men, precisely because the women DO listen and don’t come into class swaggering around as if they know all there is to know.

13. fred
    fred January 8, 2018 11:28 am

Jolly January 8, 2018 6:45 am-The real reason not to teach women to shoot is that more-than-likely, they’ll be better shots than you!
    ============================
    You know Mrs fred.She can knock out golf balls at the end of the range with a .22! If we are ever attacked by mutant ninja zombie golfballs,Im safe. πŸ™‚

The men at the range loooove her.Constantly handing her weapons to shoot,including some very rare guns with original ammo.Nobody makes me such an offer.She is Annie Oakley for sure.

14. Shel
    Shel January 8, 2018 6:40 pm

Louis Awerbuck said his ideal class was teenage girls, because they had no bad habits to break. My impression (and I’m not a trainer) is that women tend to be more cautious and tend to ask “why” questions; both tendencies are highly desirable. Men tend to be more inclined just to do something and some want to impress others. My guess is these differences result from involvement in an activity with psychologically potent masculine symbolism. Whether these tendencies would be reversed in an activity typically associated with feminine involvement – knitting? – I couldn’t say.

Pat January 9, 2018 12:29 am

Shel – I think you’re right. The same principle rears its head when men are “lost”: they frequently are reluctant to stop and ask directions – they prefer to figure it out for themselves (with or without a map). And in DIY, women are more apt to read instructions first, whereas men tend to jump in and just try it.
    Caution takes time and loses momentum, whereas action gets something done, even if it’s wrong. But women were the ones who had to wait while action took place, so they had the time to be cautious.

BTW, I knew a man who did learn to knit; he said it was faster and more intuitive to watch his wife and remember her movements, than to read and understand the instructions.