Well, so much for the Wandering Monk

[venting]

Nine-ish today, he said. The Wandering Monk was coming to repair the floor so I could finish the bedroom project. He knew my neighbor also needed advance notice so we could collect stored flooring from her.

I have been busting my buns for days to be ready for him. Neighbor J. left her garage unlocked for us.

At 9:30 I texted him.

10:00: Sorry. Forgot.

No word on whether he ever planned to show again.

So are you going to be here today or have you quit?

Tomorrow.

I texted him back to say those materials were coming out of that garage TODAY and that we need to have a serious talk about whatever’s going on. He swears he’s not quitting and seems upset I’d even think that.

But the evidence has sure been piling up for months. No-show. Ignored texts. Another no-show. Mistakes.

The latest from him, under pressure, is that MAYBE he’ll be here by noon.

Everybody gets one or two. In the Monk’s case three, or four, or five. I couldn’t have done all I’ve done in the last several years without him and I am incredibly grateful. I was always under the impression we had a great working relationship and that I was one of his two or three favorite clients.

But if he doesn’t want to work for me, for whatever reason, I’d rather he just say so instead of wasting my time. The hardest thing about this is that it’s such sadly familiar contractor-type behavior. I thought he was above that.

[/venting]

1. Mike
    Mike January 9, 2018 11:28 am

Been there and had that done to me by contractors several times over the years. All I will say about this is AARRRGGG!!!

Claire January 9, 2018 11:34 am

Yep, I think AARRRRGGG!!! about sums it up, Mike. 🙁

I was just really thinking the Monk was better than that. Even when he began slipping, I was hoping he’d get me through the last major project on the house this summer. I suppose there’s still a chance. But … AARRRGGG!!!

3. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran January 9, 2018 11:41 am

Tough one, Claire! It looks like things have changed with him, but not you. I’ve been through similar situations as this. It’s hard not to take it personal. Hopefully, he’ll show back up, but it looks like you might need to find another handyman/woman to help you finish up the projects on your house. Hugs sent your way!

4. larryarnold
    larryarnold January 9, 2018 12:04 pm

That does seem to be a character deficiency shared by a majority of the building contractors I’ve worked with, written contract or no. I just don’t understand how someone can start a project, then not diligently see it through to completion so it can be displayed to the World.

(Ignore the catcalls from all the unfinished stories sitting on my hard drive.)

Claire January 9, 2018 1:28 pm

Well, FWIW, the Monk did arrive at noon. And we had a good, long talk before we went over and got the materials out of neighbor J’s garage. The Monk is now happily ripping up about a 3 x 16-foot section of once-beautiful old T&G flooring that’s fastened down pretty securely despite decades of multiple abuses. (How he can do this without cussing is beyond me.)

I’m not sure where things will go from here, but it was a good talk and I think we each have a better understanding of where the other one’s coming from. For now.

Thanks for listening to my venting and for sharing your experiences.

And LOL, larryarnold, when you don’t finish a story the difference is that it wastes nobody’s time but yours. Hm. Though come to think of it writing a story about characters who get mad because their story isn’t finished and decide either to do it themselves or kick the author into action could make a good story.

MamaLiberty January 9, 2018 1:55 pm

Hiring, supervising and otherwise dealing with employees is one of the reasons I didn’t stay in business for long, quite aside from the tax/regulation insanity – and that was almost 45 years ago. I couldn’t handle any of it now. But we do have an excellent “handi-man” here, totally reliable so far. Just very expensive. I’m going to have him cover the back deck this summer, come hell or high water. 🙂

As for the unfinished stories, I was poking around in an old hard drive here and found quite a few finished and unfinished stories I’d written years ago. They are now all on my current HD and I’ll have all sorts of fun with them while I wait for spring. I never consider any of it a waste of time, since I write mostly for my own amusement anyway.

7. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran January 9, 2018 2:18 pm

Good news, Claire! This is the best possible conclusion!

Claire January 9, 2018 2:42 pm

“Good news, Claire! This is the best possible conclusion!”

Well, I hope so, RV. But the real test will be in how long the results of our talk last.

9. larryarnold
    larryarnold January 9, 2018 6:19 pm

Depends on who’s waiting for the finished story. The fiction is mine, but I also write for a weekly newspaper.