Friday links

• You’ve heard of the Great Wall of China and Trump’s border wall. But how ’bout the Great Hedge of India? The Brits created it in a futile (but persistent) attempt to halt salt smuggling.
  • Another city’s red-light camera program bites the dust.
  • There’s a new surveillance policy for truckers that’s likely to hurt us all.
  • Yuch. Does this mean we have to allow ourselves to be kissed by anyone at all who happens to want to kiss us? Harvey Weinstein might be glad to have such license, but I don’t think most of us want to be randomly slobbered on, thank you.
  • A conference on Bitcoin stops accepting Bitcoin. (Fees and network congestion are currently a problem.)
  • But Bitcoin’s value is more than its price.
  • Armed federal agents (why are they always armed) raid a Puerto Rico warehouse where The locaal power authority is hoarding electrical equipment.
  • What happens when you throw hot water into the air when it’s 30-below outside.
  • Get out your hankie, but also be prepared to heed her. Young woman dying of cancer pens some advice for we the living.
  • Creative outlawry: Making that trip to the DMV fun. (Wonder how successfully those changes of expression mess with facial recognition?)

MamaLiberty January 12, 2018 4:05 am

The computer overlords for truckers will cause much the same disaster for shipping as they have done to wreck the practice of medicine.

I’m so very tired of this “sex” and “gender” hypocrisy. Nobody, of any description, better try kissing me uninvited.

2. Ron Johnson
    Ron Johnson January 12, 2018 4:15 am

Among the risks truckers will take is to keep driving while tired. My brother, an independent operator, routinely took cat naps to stay fresh on the road…and doctored the log books so he could make up the time. Now, with the computorized clock ticking, a badly needed nap will mean fewer miles and missed appointments. The strong incentive will be to keep driving while tired.
    BTW, our company is having unusual difficulties getting things picked up and delivered on time in the past couple of weeks. I wonder if this is already an effect of the law. I’ll have to get an update from my brother.
    BTW2: My bro also says there will be random parked trucks along highways as timed-out truckers have to pull over their rigs. There are stretches of highway where there are no truckstops or turnouts, so parking along the side of the road will become more common as the truckers attempt to comply with the law.

Pat January 12, 2018 6:01 am

The article on truckers mentioned gasoline, medicines, and hospital supplies that would be affected. Another item that will be long-range affected is foodstuffs. Produce coming from California or outbound from the southern states will have to be shipped earlier, totally unripe, or will arrive over-ripe and quickly spoiled before it gets bought by customers. (OTOH, that may encourage more local buying.)

From Ron Johnson: “BTW2: My bro also says there will be random parked trucks along highways as timed-out truckers have to pull over their rigs.”

I wonder how many of those truck drivers will soon become “shruggers” – just walking away from their jobs and their cargo?
    ~~~~~

“The difficulty in finding straight men who will date transgender women has driven some to advocate not telling a date they’re transgender.”

So now transgenders will be going into the closet? And this is one more attack on males if men object to dating them.

I am reminded of the old Doris Day song, “A Guy Is A Guy” – but apparently he isn’t any longer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_rnpP3nfOw

4. fred
    fred January 12, 2018 8:54 am

Im sick and tired of the gay activists of whatever flavor of the week demanding I accept your issues.I dont.Now you want to FORCE men to date other MEN because you had surgery???? Aint happening.Keep your mental issues to yourself.

5. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran January 12, 2018 9:43 am

Another city’s red-light camera program bites the dust.

Rochester had a red-light camera program and it was more of a revenue enhancer than anything else and the mayor did revoke the program on SJW grounds:

Mayor cancels red light camera program

“Citing disproportionate impact on some of the city’s most impoverished neighborhoods, Mayor Lovely Warren on Thursday announced an end to Rochester’s red-light camera program.

“I reached the conclusion the benefits simply don’t justify a further extension” of the contract, she said. “I’m very concerned that too many of these tickets have been issued to those who simply can’t afford them, which is counter-productive to our efforts to reverse our city’s troubling rates of poverty.”

I’m just glad they got rid of the darned things!

MamaLiberty January 12, 2018 12:36 pm

Rochester, I wonder what the mayor would say if she was told about how much poverty is created by all of the taxes, regulations, and “licenses” required by the city (county, state, feds). I’m sure she would never agree…

And it is interesting to see how people will generally tolerate all that, but are angry about a red light camera. Sure the red light cameras are stupid and just more highway robbery, but they push buttons on folks who will swallow an awful lot of worse things.

7. Mike
    Mike January 12, 2018 12:40 pm

Good news about the red light cameras. Damn how I hate those things and the increase in accidents they cause when in use.

Two things about truckers and their digital watchdogs. The author thinks this dehumanizes a very human industry. I wonder ho much time he has spent as part of this human industry. How dehumanizing will he think it will become when driver-less vehicles hit the roads in less than a decade? Add to this robot handlers to load and off load cargo. Then he goes on to make the case that this will hurt trucking, and thus everyone. He may be right in the short term, there may be a blip, but seriously hurt an industry that is on the way to mechanizing it’s workforce? He thinks when adding these monitors takes place drivers are just going to walk away from their jobs, their income? Maybe some will but 71%, I don’t think so. If his predicted protests come to pass there will be a little short term pain but this will just speed up the introduction of driver-less transports. One thing I have learned over the years, when all is said and done more will be said than done.

Thanks for the post about Jono Zalay and his DMV photos. I will have to remember this the next time I go for my drivers license.

8. david
    david January 12, 2018 3:59 pm

My random thoughts –
    *I wish I knew more about creating a British style hedgerow, and had a chance to build one.
    *Yes, the cameras should go, but I originally thought it was more like ‘red light district’ cameras, not ‘Stop Light’ cameras. Duh! The joke’s on me.
    *I fail to understand why anyone would choose a sex change and then complain because ‘normal’ people don’t want to date them. Why not simply be up-front about your um, status, and then you’ll only get dates with those who don’t care that you were born the same gender they are now? It would seem to make life easier, and there ARE those who do not care.
    *One does wonder why federal agents are nearly always armed. But in this case it seems that there may have been some extreme level of corruption and profiteering going on, so they may have anticipated an armed response.

9. larryarnold
    larryarnold January 12, 2018 10:53 pm

I’m so glad I’m in the dating grandstand, observing.

Federal agents are armed because they are “special” agents. 😉 But mainly because they conduct “raids.” As in, “You don’t need to bring your guns, we’re just going on a raid.” Um, no.
    I started to make an exception for panty raids, but now that Texas has Campus Carry, um, no.

I think I’ll keep my drivers license and license to carry photos (Here, it’s the same photo) looking sane. If I ever have to shoot someone, that’s the handiest photo for the press, and thus probably the picture that will hit the internet.

when driver-less vehicles hit the roads in less than a decade
    Well, maybe. After Congress gets the Teamsters to agree.
    OTOH, I’m still waiting for my flying car.

10. Shel
    Shel January 13, 2018 4:48 am

On a more mundane level regarding the driver’s license photos, for a routine traffic stop the officer has a choice of whether to issue a warning or a citation, and if a citation which citation. For that as well as simple courtesy I’d rather approximate the gray man.

Joel January 13, 2018 7:13 am

“Wait, what? I thought the new SJW standard on matters of the heart was that you can’t even hold someone’s hand without they say, “Yes!” first.”

You’ve got it wrong – that rule only applies to evil “cisnormatives.” In the near future, sex on demand with transgender people will be mandatory under law.

Comrade X January 13, 2018 9:04 am

Soon the only thing that would want to drive a truck will be a robot.

Would that be like how to make people ride a bike is to make people hate driving on freeways that are parking lots.

Don’t y’all just love being nudge?