First look at Katniss Everdeen

Fangirls (and fanboys) were concerned when the very blonde Jennifer Lawrence was cast as the olive-skinned, dark-haired, vaguely ethnic Katniss Everdeen in the upcoming Hunger Games movie. Looks like no problem. The first photo is out — and that’s Katniss as any reader might envision her. Lawrence has the acting chops and the heart to carry the role, too.

I can’t wait to see this very freedomista movie (and sequels) made from the very freedomista Hunger Games trilogy.

Sorry about the “lite” posting. I’m mulling not one but two “heavy” topics and might not have tons to say until they’re ready to emerge.

1. Erik1904
    Erik1904 May 18, 2011 5:56 pm

Thanks for bringing this series of books to light. I read all three in record time and now my daughter is on the second book of the three.

Claire May 18, 2011 8:33 pm

Thanks, Erik1904. I found the first book to be interesting … good … but sometimes slow going. So I’ve been surprised at the overwhelmingly positive comments — quite a few like yours, saying they couldn’t put any of the books down. I didn’t really go, “OH. YEAH.” until Catching Fire.

3. EN
    EN May 18, 2011 9:34 pm

Loved Jennifer Lawrence in Winter’s Bone. Great movie and she did an excellent job. Best movie of last year in my mind.

4. Matt
    Matt May 18, 2011 10:14 pm

Why is Katniss Everdeen important?

5. WolfSong
    WolfSong May 19, 2011 4:51 am

One day I’ll try reading the series.

I’ve shied away from it for now because it was originally recommended to me by a friend who swore I would love the “Twilight” series-which I read, and tried really, really hard not to vomit while I did so-and that makes me a little bit hesitant to pick up the Hunger Games.

Claire May 19, 2011 6:09 am

Matt — Um … because she’s the lead character in a book trilogy (now being made into movies) with a very freedomista theme? Because she’s a powerful role model for young girls? Plenty of reasons.

WolfSong — You poor thing! How anybody could get through the Twilight books is beyond me. That millions of women and girls love those books and characters is frightening. I read the first book and saw the first movie — and never more, I swear. I didn’t vomit. I just had trouble staying awake, trouble believing that anything so empty and badly written ever got published, trouble believing that nobody bothered to edit the damned, unwieldy thing. Trust me, The Hunger Games is Not. Like. That. Not even close. Where Twilight is all about moping around over “looooooove,” The Hunger Games is about kicking ass, being a caring human being, developing principles, and becoming a strong person.

Claire May 19, 2011 6:15 am

EN — Winter’s Bone is one of the few big ones from last year I haven’t seen. Not for want of trying, but because it just hasn’t come from Netflix yet. So far for me the best is — surprisingly! — the movie that actually won Best Picture, The King’s Speech. Amazingly good. (So often the BP Oscar winner is just some piece of overblown drivel.) I can’t imagine Winter’s Bone being better. But if it is, I’d be thrilled.

8. Matt
    Matt May 19, 2011 11:07 am

It might be worth a watch, Jennifer Lawrence did and exeptional job in Winter’s Bone.

9. Eric Oppen
    Eric Oppen May 20, 2011 2:03 pm

I seldom watch movies, but I make an exception sometimes. I did so for the Lord of the Rings trilogy, the “Harry Potter” books—and I’ll do so for The Hunger Games.

Now, if they’d only release Tomorrow, When the War Began to US theaters…

10. Lynn Swearingen
    Lynn Swearingen November 14, 2011 11:11 am

There’s a Trailer now to spark interest…….

Claire November 14, 2011 11:28 am

Lynn — Oh, that’s gonna be good. Thank you. Lionsgate is a good studio and I’ve been sorry to see them in the financial Dumpster. I think The Hunger Games trilogy could bring them back from the brink. Sure hope so. It looks like they’re going to do the stories and the characters proud.