Not a good week for Deep Thought, but …

Okay, I started out the week telling you I was working on something that required Thought. Yeah, well. Try that while you’re deadlining and spending the days having parts of your house reduced noisily to rubble, being unexpectedly without both power and plumbing for much of the time (and listening to the plumber blame the carpenter for plumbing screwups and the carpenter explain why he needs to take an extra day and a half on the job playing electrician), and … well, ETC. Lots and lots of ETC.

Whether I’ll be able to return to the Deep Thought blog, I don’t know. I will have some thoughts on why a good, cherished, old-fashioned 3.5 gallon toilet may not be such a great thing when you have to fill its tank manually from stored water. And why I chose to do that rather than resort to the kitty-litter-powered emergency potty.

Also, later today or over the weekend (whenever I get my electricity back) I’ll start posting some Christmas gift suggestions for the preppers, freedomistas (and preppers- and freedomistas-to-be) and some good (non-me) causes you might want to give a boost to during this charitable season.

Finally, before everything goes lights-out again, thank you for reviving my Amazon links month. By yesterday, you’d pulled sales up to normal (after a scary start to October). That plus 10 (whee!) signups for free Amazon Prime made it a quite decent month.

I’m offline for a bit now. Maybe a few hours, maybe a day. So in the meantime, obey your new Obamacare overlords, heed the vast wisdom of Joe Biden, admire the constitutional knowledge of Di and Chuckie, absorb the Truth from the mainstream media, thank the NSA and CIA for keeping you safe, cheer for whatever drone war(s) our Wise Leaders are conducting today — and keep everything else to your eeeevil little Freedom Outlaw selves.

1. ILTim
    ILTim November 1, 2013 9:05 am

“So in the meantime, obey your new Obamacare overlords, heed the vast wisdom of Joe Biden, admire the constitutional knowledge of Di and Chuckie, absorb the Truth from the mainstream media, thank the NSA and CIA for keeping you safe, cheer for whatever drone war(s) our Wise Leaders are conducting today”

I can’t wait to see how the text books of other countries in twenty or thirty years portray this period of American History, but you may have just wrapped it up.

2. jed
    jed November 1, 2013 3:04 pm

Low-flow toilets are crap!

Seriously. Did you happend to read about a large county in California — don’t recall which — which ended up buying a huge amount of bleach to flush out its sewers? Yep, their water conservation efforts sure paid off there. Sewage systems need a certain amount of liquid flowing to carry the solids along.

Yes, I’ve seen the demo videos for the whooshmaster super-jet low-water toilet that successfully flushes things such as a big bowl of fruit salad. I don’t care.

Sometimes, I flush twice, just for spite.

3. Bear
    Bear November 1, 2013 5:04 pm

@Shel: Try adding, “…except in politics.” to all those quotes.

4. Laird
    Laird November 2, 2013 5:00 am

“Sometimes, I flush twice, just for spite.”

Now there’s a motto to live by!

5. jed
    jed November 2, 2013 12:19 pm

Home repair and remodeling, sometimes will surprise you in a good way.

6. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau November 2, 2013 2:36 pm

It was San Francisco, but it looks like several cities are having a smell problem.

If it really is a problem. I grew up in Wisconsin. There are lots of cows there. 🙂 You get used to it…

California has a water problem which makes their actions somewhat understandable – a problem the market could solve if government got out of the picture. But there has been a ridiculous amount of government meddling in water, forever. Try reading the old book, “Cadillac Desert”.

I actually like low flow toilets, but I am on a septic tank so I don’t have the problem San Francisco has. This saves a lot of electricity pumping water needed for flushing out of the well too. And if you get a modern, engineered toilet, it flushes way better than any of the old 5 gallon flushers did.

7. rew
    rew November 2, 2013 2:54 pm

Humor(kinda/sorta) to while the time waiting, makes as much sense as the other;

Affordable Boat Act

The government has just passed a new law called: “The affordable boat act” declaring that every citizen MUST purchase a new boat, by April 2014. These “affordable” boats will cost an average of $24,000-$124,000 each. This does not include taxes, trailers, towing fees, insurance, fuel, docking and storage fees, maintenance or repair costs.

This law has been passed, because until now, typically only financially responsible and working people have been able to purchase boats. This new laws ensures that every American can now have a “affordable” boat of their own, because everyone is “entitled” to a boat.

In order to make sure everyone purchases an affordable boat, the costs of owning a boat will increase on average of 250-400% per year. This way, working taxpayers will pay more for something that other people don’t want or can’t afford to maintain. But to be fair, people who can’t afford to maintain their boat will be regularly fined and children (under the age of 26) can use their parents boats to party on until they turn 27; then must purchase their own boat.

If you already have a boat, you can keep yours (just kidding; no you can’t). If you don’t want or don’t need a boat, you are required to buy one anyhow. If you refuse to buy one, you will be fined until you purchase one or face imprisonment. For those that cannot afford one, they will get a free boat with a monthly check for all ownership costs listed above at taxpayer expense.

Failure to use the boat will also result in fines. People living in the desert, inner cities or areas with no access to lakes are not exempt. Age, motion sickness, experience, knowledge nor lack of desire are acceptable excuses for not using your boat.

A government review board will decide everything, including; when, where, how often and for what purposes you can use your boat along with how many people can ride your boat and determine if one is too old or healthy enough to be able to use their boat. They will also decide if your boat has out lived its usefulness or if you must purchase specific accessories, or a newer and more expensive boat. (Cash for Clunkers guidelines will be used).

Government officials are exempt from this new law. If they want a boat, they and their families can obtain boats free, at the expense of tax payers. Unions, special interest and major donors are also exempt.

8. jed
    jed November 2, 2013 5:45 pm

Speaking of toilets, I just had to pass this along.

Heh!

9. Shel
    Shel November 2, 2013 6:37 pm

Bear: Thanks. Most of the time I wonder if anyone actually reads the stuff.

I just remembered another excuse. A friend, if you can call someone who is helpless a friend, told me that one of the reasons she can’t walk her two dogs is that one of them came from a bad home. Honest. I couldn’t make this up. I’m not that creative.

Regarding NSA, The Guardian has another good article http://www.theguardian.com/world/interactive/2013/nov/01/snowden-nsa-files-surveillance-revelations-decoded#section/1

10. Karen
    Karen November 3, 2013 4:32 am

ROFLMAO to start my morning with rew’s boat analogy!

11. Laird
    Laird November 3, 2013 7:59 am

Shel, thanks for that link. A most interesting article indeed. But damn, that is just about the most annoying article format I’ve ever had to struggle through!

12. revjen45
    revjen45 November 3, 2013 9:18 am

A pitcher of water poured into the bowl will chase away even a stubborn logjam, and it’s easy as first alternative.

13. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau November 3, 2013 10:59 am

[But damn, that is just about the most annoying article format I’ve ever had to struggle through!]

No kidding. Makes a person pine for the old days of 300 baud modems where all that came over was plain text…

From that article, with my edits:
    “Much of what the NSA does is of value to America and its friends round the world — even those it snoops on. The documents show the NSA providing vital information to American and allied forces in Afghanistan [where those forces shouldn’t be in the first place], defending the country against cyber attacks [by creating an even larger cyber attack, NSA snooping on the world], snooping on Mexican drug cartels [whose existence depends on drug prohibition] and helping break up worldwide criminal gangs involved in credit card theft [by charging more in taxes to support this bureaucracy than you would have lost through credit card theft].”

I think those Guardian guys still believe in the government religion…

14. jed
    jed November 3, 2013 7:30 pm

I’ve found recently that the most useful control on Firefox is now the View->Page Style->No Style menu progression. It defeats a number of awful CSS conventions and snafus, and also some of the “javascript must be enabled” tricks such as greying out the content and putting a DIV element in the foreground with that sort of annoying message.

Unfortunately, using that also reveals some of the most horrendous web authoring practices imaginable. However, it does give you readable text, mostly uninterupted by poor layout.

I don’t particularly long for 300 baud, but versions of HTML older than 4.0 have an appeal.