Thursday links

• “Elite” SWAT cops petulently destroy their own office.
  • So what do you suppose this guy was ticketed for?
  • I’m not sure which is more remarkable: that three-year-olds are now getting type II diabetes or that this one recovered with sensible lifestyle changes.
  • Your government at work — threatening, bombing, shooting, and otherwise terrorizing its unwanted neighbors. (Via Shel in comments)
  • Here’s a new thought (and a longish article on it): what if all those creeps who are aggregating and selling our personal data are a national-security threat? (Everything else is, so why not them?)
  • Americans (particularly those of means) continue to surrender their citizenship in record numbers. Small numbers, still. But growing thanks to punitive banking and tax laws.
  • Yep, Bob, you’re right. The hysteria over Ahmed’s clock is exactly in the same dishonorable tradition as the nutzoid over-reaction to the notorious gun-shaped Pop-Tart.

1. Archer
    Archer September 17, 2015 11:15 am

I agree on the teenager’s clock. It’s not about racism or Islamophobia (though those may have aggravated the issue); it’s about the hyper-sensitive and ridiculous Zero-Tolerance school policies.

Funny how those anti-freedom groups who cry “Racism!!!” and “Islamophobia!!!” are the same ones who pushed for the asinine Zero-Tolerance policies to begin with. They’re directly responsible for this kid’s arrest, but they obfuscate by blaming other hot-button issues.

I don’t like Obama, but his Twitter response was awesome. That said, what’s the over-under probability on the Secret Service actually letting him bring his clock into the White House? 😉

Pat September 17, 2015 11:50 am

Re: the Type II Diabetic child who has recovered, it’s more amazing that she recovered. Not the recovery itself, but that the parents took the proper course to effect the recovery. I wonder if the parents have improved their health/weight, also.

“The parents began to gradually replace the sugary drinks with water and fast foods with home-cooked meals. They also started playing in the garden, taking walks in the neighborhood and placed their daughter in a swimming class.”

A doctor I knew in the 70s was advocating (almost constant) exercise and increased protein intake, along with decreased carbs, for diabetics, and he managed to take patients from insulin injections to oral pills, and a couple of patients were taken off of insulin altogether under his regime. I would like to know which foods this child was fed, and what balance between protein, carbs, and fat she was given.

Metabolism is definitely a factor in diabetes, and regular exercise helps maintain a normal metabolism for most people. Less carbs also lowers the stress from gut and pancreas. I give the parents credit for determination to get their child well, rather than merely having her “treated.”

MamaLiberty September 17, 2015 1:03 pm

Pat, I too would love to know the “rest of the story.” I did diabetic teaching for a number of years, and the success rate was dismal. It was especially bad in young people. The youngest patient I saw was a 13 year old black girl. She refused to test her blood, follow any diet or take the medication regularly, and her mother enabled that completely. She did not live to see her 14th birthday.

Pat September 17, 2015 1:58 pm

“The actual “balance” of the diet is probably not material. Simply eliminating high sugar drinks and food, and replacing processed stuff with even a preponderance of whole, natural foods would likely do it.”

You may be right, ML, though I do think there should be some balance – not in quantity, but in quality.

The problem is, I don’t think we know yet what we’re supposed to eat. We’ve been speculating and guesstimating for years, and every “expert” adds another piece of knowledge without knowing precisely how it fits. Like doctors when diagnosing, nutrition only sees what works and what doesn’t work, and “diagnoses” accordingly. But that’s like looking at the symptoms, and not the disease.

Actually what you say – eliminating sugars, and replacing processed (non-) foods with whole, natural foods – probably brings about a “balance” in the body’s physiology that we aren’t directly able to assess (until the patient either dies or gets well – and then we don’t know what caused it).

5. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau September 17, 2015 3:44 pm

[Albers was reacting to a report into the unit’s behaviour which found that officers made new recruits go through humiliating initiation ceremonies including eating a cocktail of ice cream and disgusting foodstuffs off the thighs of other officers and being bound with ropes.]

Ah, those Germans! 🙂

About Ahmed – don’t expect to find any sense in a government school.

6. LarryA
    LarryA September 17, 2015 6:58 pm

Drunk cowboy? Not if he was potted on daiquiris. [/snob mode]

But maybe thy do things different in Louisiana*. In Texas his horse would have dumped him in the parking lot out of shame.

*If it’s Louisiana.

[Pet peeve] I sure wish news websites would tell me where the heck they’re located. Dateline: Watson, but which state? WBRZ tells me nothing. I’m just guessing Louisiana from other content.

You’d think people drilled on “Who, What, When, Where, Why” would know better, but this is common among TV, radio, and newspaper sites. [/Pp]

7. A.G.
    A.G. September 18, 2015 5:36 am

[“We were the ones who set this room up, now we’re going to return it to its original state,” they reportedly said.

The officers… then destroyed their old common room with a chainsaw and drove a motorbike through the hallway, all the while heavily intoxicated with alcohol.]

Heh. Reminds me of what I remember of my fraternity daze.

MamaLiberty September 18, 2015 8:48 am

“The problem is, I don’t think we know yet what we’re supposed to eat. ”

Pat, I don’t see that as “the problem.” People have been eating, living, even thriving for a very long time without any definitive answer. Even more, I don’t think there will ever be any single answer to what “we” should eat. Too many variables, in genetics, climates, etc. And much reliance on the “experts” will probably not help a lot. Let’s see… is coffee on the “good” or “bad” list today? LOL What? BOTH? Darn.

Humans are omnivorous, and can make use of almost anything one way or another. I see the key being a diet of great variety, with the whole and natural forming the core. Each person needs to find the balance that works for them… and accept the consequences of poor choices here as in anything else.

9. Tom
    Tom September 18, 2015 9:30 am

Do we have any data as to where people are going when they give up their US citizenship?

Now that Panama is lifting their gun control (http://bearingarms.com/noting-success-u-s-gun-culture-panama-reverses-gun-control-laws/) maybe it is suddenly on the short list (Note: I’ve been unable to find another source to confirm this rather unbelievable development).

Claire September 18, 2015 10:17 am

Tom, FWIW, I also decided that not-quite-random rural area in the U.S. was my best bet. This was after visiting Panama and Nicaragua, two growing expat havens.

What you’ve heard about Panama loosening its gun restrictions is true. Panama has been slightly better than most places all along (which isn’t saying much) and now they’re getting better.

I don’t have stats on expat locations at the tip of my fingers, but they’re out there. And beyond the stats, there’s a lot of info, discussion boards, etc. about some of the favored countries.

Pat September 18, 2015 12:49 pm

That’s not what I meant, ML.

Every person has to decide for himself what are the best foods he can tolerate, what makes him feel good or bad. It’s the “experts” who think they know what humans should eat, and I don’t think they do know. Who, e.g. — and how — established X amt. of Potassium that an “average” adult woman should take in per day? And how does she know what amount she gets in one baked potato?

Since at least early 20th Century (and before), people have been trying to establish our human nutritional needs — the daily requirements of vitamin/minerals, what type of foods to eat, how much food per day, no. of calories, carbs, protein, etc. Today EVERYBODY has gotten into the act, and we don’t know any more than we ever did. In fact, so much “expertise” is thrown around that all of it together becomes contradictory and confusing. And that does present a problem to anyone who doesn’t know what or who to believe or how to find the answer for her own body.

MamaLiberty September 18, 2015 1:24 pm

“…we don’t know any more than we ever did.”

Ain’t that the truth! LOL I did misunderstand what you said before.

Indeed, each person needs to be free to choose, free to change their minds, and free to obtain whatever they think they want or need. They must be free to take advice from whomever they might trust, and refuse the dictates of those who would decide for them.

The other side of that coin is, of course, that they must bear responsibility for whatever they choose and live with the consequences. If people don’t know, they can learn. If they don’t know what or whom to believe, that’s sad but nobody else’s problem in the long run.

13. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau September 19, 2015 12:47 am

[I’ve been looking for a decade now for some place to flee and best I keep coming up with is a random rural area in US.]

What you have to do, is learn Spanish in high school, and then marry a Mexican gal. I missed on both counts. 🙂

But yeah, the cultural barriers are hard to deal with. Fred Reed seems to be enjoying himself however, and I like reading his take on life in Mexico.