Oh no

I just saw this report that Will Grigg is dead. Heart attack. Age 54.

Looking for further confirmation now. But the word comes from one of the outfits he wrote for. Grigg was a great champion of liberty and in particular a crusader against police and bureaucratic wrongdoing against individuals. His life and his family’s always seemed to be one of struggle, dire illness, and financial peril. What a sad ending for him and what a tragedy for his family.

1. Desertrat
    Desertrat April 13, 2017 7:36 am

Saw that last night. Sad loss, for sure.

2. firstdouglas
    firstdouglas April 13, 2017 9:57 am

Very sad loss ..and for years, I’ve rather looked forward to meeting Will Grigg, if ever our travels might have brought us just a bit nearer.

3. E. Garrett Perry
    E. Garrett Perry April 13, 2017 11:23 am

I’m still trying to process this. Losing Will Gregg hurts worse than The Old Pope, or Pavarotti, or Neal Armstrong or Vaclav Havel. He was a hero of mine, both for his work and for the tremendous prose in which he did it, all the eloquent fury of Gorges Danton tempered with a humanity and empathy rarely seen in polemicists of any stripe. I had hoped he would review “Justice In Winter,” but no such luck now.

Damn.

4. ExpatNJ
    ExpatNJ April 13, 2017 12:22 pm

A VERY great loss. And, very sudden and suspicious.
    Wondering if he shot by CIA ‘Heart Attack Gun’ …

Claire April 13, 2017 2:54 pm

It just occurs to me that in a few hours it will be exactly four years since my dear and beautiful friend Jill died. While her loss wasn’t a great loss to the world like Will Grigg’s, I don’t believe I’ll ever stop missing her. She was a gracious lady and a kind friend who died years before she should have.

I wrote about her — and two other deaths — a year later:

6. E. Garrett Perry
    E. Garrett Perry April 13, 2017 4:15 pm

Grigg, dammitall. I hate smartphones, some days.

7. James
    James April 13, 2017 6:29 pm

Oh no indeed. I read Grigg before Radley Balko went off to WaPo.

He kind of scared me at the time. His straightforward prose seemed so far outside the box. But he was right.

8. StevefromMA
    StevefromMA April 20, 2017 6:23 am

I’m behind reading and don’t want to revisit your and my old losses but I did want to tell you my Dad died of pancreatic cancer exactly three years ago. I exactly understand what it was like and have met only one other person who also went through it and and understood everything also. I can empathize totally. He had fewer options and only made it through six of the worst weeks in our lives as we took care of him at home, a big mistake but my mother had promised. We had thought hospice was like a team of British nannies who swooped in and made things better but it was one really fine doctor who rejiggered pain meds an idiot had prescribed and one nurse who came in near the end and showed us how to grind up pills. It almost killed both of us also and my mom said she would not put me through it but we’ll see. I have my own plan to make sure I’m in control but it’s tricky.

On a more positive note, we had one really nice blue spring day here on Cape Cod and tourists are here already for Spring Break.