Weekend links

1. Ken Hagler
    Ken Hagler July 14, 2018 8:54 pm

On the door barricading post: there’s a certain amusement value in a website calling itself “The Art of Manliness” publishing an article on how to cower effectively.

2. Ron Johnson
    Ron Johnson July 15, 2018 4:11 am

Concerning the gender of God, the Episcopal Church should simply settle on “They.” It’s a time honored phrase for the Intimidating and Unknowable, such as “They say smoking pot will damage your chromosomes,” or “They say Catholics sacrifice children and eat them.” “They” has been the final authority throughout human history, so it only makes sense that “They” also authored the Bible.

Besides, any gender specific term will leave out the gender confused, such as my son’s friend who insists on being called They. “They” is as inclusive as you can get. In my mind, it is also true.

3. Jim Wetzel
    Jim Wetzel July 15, 2018 4:17 am

Mr. Hagler makes an excellent point, concerning The Art of “Manliness.” I was further amused by the third illustration, in which the door’s damper linkage is identified as a “hinge.” I’m glad they don’t call that site “The Art of Mechanic-liness.”

Comrade X July 15, 2018 8:09 am

Feeling sorry for Harvey is a bridge too far for me.

5. Desertrat 1
    Desertrat 1 July 15, 2018 1:04 pm

The casting couch deal has been around since before my time, and I’m 84. I’ve known of it in corporations, in state agencies and in night clubs. And please don’t try to make me believe it’s not still going on or that it will ever cease.

Harvey? Most of this BS seems to come from losers, supported by the PC clowns.

6. Larry Arnold
    Larry Arnold July 15, 2018 2:05 pm

WeWork estimates the policy will save 445.1 million pounds of Carbon Dioxide emissions by 2023, 16.6 billion gallons of water, and 15,507,103 animals.

Because animals not eaten are immortal?

They still die. They still emit carbon. And animals and people don’t “use” water, they borrow it; in one end and out the other.

The Earth has a fixed supply of water, in vapor, liquid and ice. Other than ice added by meteors and small amounts broken into hydrogen and oxygen, the amount remains stable.

Of course, if everyone quit eating meet, there would be a lot fewer animals bred for it. But that just means the animals never sequester carbon in the first place. And grass dies, whether it’s eaten by animals or not.

Wetzel beat me to the “hinge.” No matter. I’ll be using my belt to hold up my holster.

7. david
    david July 15, 2018 4:09 pm

I learned on May 4th, 1970, in the town of Kent, Ohio, the lesson that government will kill you to keep you off the grass. It’s a lesson I’ve never forgotten for an instant. Oh, well, maybe it was for ‘dissing’ an enforcement thug by putting a daisy stem in the barrel of his rifle. No difference to the dead, right?

8. Larry Arnold
    Larry Arnold July 15, 2018 9:31 pm

IMHO it was the Kent State shooting by National Guard, and 11 days later the May 15 Jackson State College shooting by sheriff’s deputies, that started the “No guns on campus” movement. Of course originally it wasn’t about students or faculty; it was “No government guns on campus.” As in no armed security, no police, no ROTC, etc. and never ever call in the Guard.

Ironic, now, with the “You don’t need guns because the armed campus cops will protect you” meme.