Friday links

The usual mix, but with an extra heavy dose of the “lite” stuff today. It’s been a depressing week and good cheer seems in order. Some smiles toward the end.

And we’ll have fun, fun, fun ’til Daddy finds the sprinkler in the house …

1. david
    david July 20, 2018 1:01 pm

+ So the Ninth just proved that they can actually look at issues of law in a genuinely legal manner. WOW. Keep it up guys. I bet this’ll bite them on the tail.

+ “…only so many nice trips you can take”? Yeah, cuz you get voted out of office.

+ IMO, ‘open admissions’ destroyed the value of a college education forever. Too many ‘not college material’ students had to be educated, too many remedial courses, GPAs fell and of course grading standards had to fall too to keep the GPAs of the ‘weak’ up, schools were forced to add pointless curricula, and the inmates have take over the asylum.
    * Higher standards would have prevented family dynasties in the White House
    * Paying for your deficiencies would direct substandard students into other fields of endeavor
    * Letting them slide means they will always be substandard in their careers

+ Kipling? The inmates are running the asylum. Why did it have to be a BLACK poet, not Naruda, et al?

+ Love the science logos, the dog balloons had me LOL, and Banner ROCKS!!!

2. Desertrat 1
    Desertrat 1 July 20, 2018 2:17 pm

Some computer science grad students from India, part of my social group, came to a party. One asked me if I knew much about India. I replied that Kipling was my main info source. He nodded, smiled, and commented that Kipling was a pretty good source.

Comrade X July 20, 2018 2:32 pm

And what might Kipling say;

“For undemocratic reasons and for motives not of State,
    They arrive at their conclusions—largely inarticulate.”

4. Larry Arnold
    Larry Arnold July 20, 2018 9:21 pm

Kipling wrote about the “White Man’s Burden,” and therefore must be painted over.
    If he had just called it the “White Man’s Privilege” they’d be painting over someone else’s work to post his.

I think Uncle Sam already has one good approach to higher education. Join up, work your butt off for four years, travel a bit, get to know FICA, make your own contribution, then get help paying for college. That could be expanded to private-sector employment as well.

5. E. Garrett Perry
    E. Garrett Perry July 21, 2018 3:37 am

The reactions to Kipling, particularly to “Burden,” puzzle and infuriate me. Can nobody else see the biting satire, the scathing indictment of the imperialist mindset? Yes Kipling was an imperialist, and his reaction to the crisis in Ulster was awful, but he was more than once described as “an imperialist with no illusions whatsoever about imperialism, which is to say no imperialist at all.” And how anyone who’s read “Kim” or “Gunga Din” can honestly call Kipling an anti-Indian racist escapes me utterly.

“Though we belted you and flayed you,
    By the living Gawd that made you,
    Yer a better man than I am, Gunga Din.”

Joel July 21, 2018 7:04 am

The big irony about how people treat Kipling, to me, is that on the one hand people decry the fall of general interest in poetry. On the other hand Kipling was one of the few writers who made a (long!) career out of writing really accessible and relatable poetry, which people still read – hell, even I read it. And on the third hand, he’s about the only historical poet they keep alive in memory – and only so they can hate on him for being a racist imperialist.

7. deLaune
    deLaune July 21, 2018 10:04 am

Try asking those ignorant children if they like Kipling, Their probable reply would be, “I don’t know. I’ve never kippeled.”

Comrade X July 21, 2018 11:12 am

Are those that attack Kipling today not our current & future Gods of the Copybook Headings;

“…As it will be in the future, it was at the birth of Man
    There are only four things certain since Social Progress began.
    That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire,
    And the burnt Fool’s bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the Fire;

And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
    When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins
    As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn,
    The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!”

9. Desertrat 1
    Desertrat 1 July 21, 2018 1:26 pm

The motivations which made “Kim” credible exist today in The Great Game v2.0.

“…but a good cigar is a smoke.” 🙂

10. fred
    fred July 21, 2018 6:26 pm

There HAS to be some Husky in that dog with the sprinkler.That 2% anti-angel just has to get out,its just how it is.Afterwards they are truly repentant,but when the devil horns pop up,it cant be stopped.

11. Shel
    Shel July 21, 2018 7:22 pm

I was thinking of “The Gods of the Copybook Headings,” too. There were just so many things Kipling understood perfectly. I carried a copy of “If” around in my wallet for a number of years. He understood giving Indians, as in “Gunga Din,” and greedy Indians, as in “The Ballad of Boh Da Thone.” He was equally astute regarding women, as in “The Female of the Species,” and greatly critical of an unlived life in “Tomlinson:” “There’s sore decline in Adam’s line if this be spawn of earth.” He very clearly described the social plight of soldiers in England in “Tommy” as well as the lure of the East in “Mandalay.” He was highly complimentary of some of those currently opposing us in Africa in “Fuzzy-Wuzzy”(whether or not we should be there is an entirely different question). I really can’t fathom how a single individual could possibly have been so prolific. If I were to be stuck somewhere and could have only one author’s writings, I believe I would choose his. I’ve asked English people who work over here if they’ve read Kipling; the usual answer is “no.” It just stuns me. It shouldn’t, of course, as they probably ignore much of their history as our schools choose to ignore much of ours.

12. Shel
    Shel July 22, 2018 3:52 am

Kipling certainly understood animals just as well; “The Power of the Dog” never fails to choke me. And Konrad Lorenz, who won a Nobel Prize for the imprinting of goslings and who wrote the wonderful classic book Man Meets Dog, singled out some dialog in Kipling’s The Jungle Book as being exactly what the animal would say if it could talk.

13. Myself