Friday links

• A “pro-gun” president now wants more federal gun control. Which gun groups are fighting Trump’s ineffective, obnoxious, and camel-nose-in-the-tent bump-stock ban?
  • Sad if true: Why medical students are having a strangely hard time mastering surgery.
  • Signal, the privacy-focused messaging app, has a new way of protecting users’ identity. (I still wouldn’t trust any app, but Signal seems to be the best of the real deals.)
  • Maggie McNeill on changing the rules of communication to suit tyranny. Being a courtesan, she focuses on the current war on sex workers, but the general tactics apply far beyond her trade.
  • Brazil’s new president (routinely tut-tutted by the MSM as some far-right fascist dictator), plans to move his country’s embassy in Israel to Jerusalem. The growing anti-Semitic wing of the left, exemplified by the BDS movement is going to hate him even more now.
  • Ten impressive stories of real-life mercenaries. Not necessarily good guys, mind you. But impressive.
  • Who knew? There was a real Mario behind SuperMario and he just died.
  • A few days late, but damn, this Japanese town really does Halloween right. Love the art students who turned themselves into paintings — especially that one particular painting.

NOTE: All autographed copies of Basics of Resistance ordered since 10/29 went in the mail today. A couple had to travel far and may not arrive until 11/10, but they’re on their way. Three books left. Get ’em while you can.

1. He Who Fakes It Well
    He Who Fakes It Well November 2, 2018 10:52 am

The Zelman Partisans are fighting it. But not too many folks notice us.

2. E. Garrett Perry
    E. Garrett Perry November 2, 2018 11:10 am

BDS is not anti-Semitic, though Lord knows many BDS adherants are anti-Semites. BDS is aimed at dis-incentivising the activities of a State (Israel), not as an attack on Jews, Jewry, or Jewishness. It is no more anti-Semitic than the movement which inspired it was anti-Boer.

People conflate any criticism of Israel with hatred of Jews, any criticism of Zionism with anti-Semitism. I disagree. In the words of an Orthodox yeshiva student I once knew: “Judasim is a way of life devoted to the worship of Ha’Shem, of the almighty Creator. Zionism is a way of life devoted to the whorship of Israel, which is not the Creator but a Creation. I am a Jew, not a Zionist.”

An attack or critique of the Israeli government, and Zionism as a whole, is no less legitimate than an attack or critique of the US gov’t and of Democracy as a system. Israel and Zionism get no special passes fro me.

Claire November 2, 2018 11:19 am

Thank you for that, E. Garrett Perry. I wholly agree (and have said many times) that Israel is just another state, prone to all the flaws of governments everywhere. Yes, a person can be anti-Israel or indifferent to Israel or critical of Israel without having any ill will toward Jews.

But the BDS movement, in practice, is without a doubt anti-Semitic. And it’s firmly embedded in a left that’s got all kinds of other tentacles in the world of anti-Semitism.

4. E. Garrett Perry
    E. Garrett Perry November 2, 2018 11:33 am

*Worship, not whorship. Dang smartphone.

5. E. Garrett Perry
    E. Garrett Perry November 2, 2018 11:48 am

I would argue that BDS is no more made anti-Semitic by its unfortunate hangers-on than Dr. Paul was made racist by his. There are unarguably corners of the Left, especially in Europe, that are deeply anti-Semitic, although Statist Left and Statist Right appear to have resumed their race to the bottom of that particular barrel (looking at you, France and Hungary). Those corners of the Left embrace BDS for anti-Semitic reasons without any doubt. But I know many people, including a number of anti-Zionist Jews, who are involved with BDS and evince no trace of anti-Semitism, at least not to me.

6. ProGunFred
    ProGunFred November 2, 2018 4:16 pm

As others have pointed out; the Bump Stock is a stupid novelty. It’s not the device, it’s the extra-constitutional mechanism that will be instantiated into “law”. Any Thing can now be banned with the stroke of a pen.

I remember rabid wild dingo like behavior on the part of gun owners when Obama was threatening gun bans. Even a mere whisper of a new law and you would think that we were going to really and finally burn DC to ground…now…crickets, save for us few outcast actual Pro Gun folks. But don’t worry, the NRA will save us all.

E. Garret Perry said “Worship, not whorship”
    Some of the churches I’ve been in; either – or, works just as accurately.

7. James
    James November 2, 2018 8:38 pm

Merriam-Webster defines “semite” thusly:

Definition of Semite

1a : a member of any of a number of peoples of ancient southwestern Asia including the Akkadians, Phoenicians, Hebrews, and Arabs

b : a descendant of these peoples

2 : a member of a modern people speaking a Semitic language

Given that, what exactly do we mean by “anti-semitism?”

Claire November 3, 2018 6:32 am

Given that, what exactly do we mean by “anti-semitism?”

That’s a painfully good point, James. When I wrote for JPFO and TZP I used to avoid the term “anti-Semitism,” not only because Arabs are Semites and some Jews are not Semites, but because the term (as I understand it) was originally coined as a smear against Jews.

Unfortunately, other terms that I’ve tried instead always come across as awkward. “Anti-Jewish” does work, I suppose. Maybe I’ll go back to that. But when you need an -ism, there’s still no good term.

9. Noah Body
    Noah Body November 3, 2018 12:11 pm

I’ll be a bit of a wag, and remind folks of Ambrose Bierce’s definition of anti-semite:

1. one who hates Jews; or

2. one who is hated by Jews.

From his Devil’s Dictionary, I believe.