Tuesday links

1. Ron Johnson
    Ron Johnson December 4, 2018 3:56 am

There is something easy about being a socialist. It doesn’t take much intellectual rigor to have on-your-sleeve compassion, moral superiority, and absolute certainty. There is also no need of self reflection or humility. Like I said, it’s an easy life. Maybe that is why they find it so attractive.

They are very adept throwing around ‘isms’, both for and against, as a way of demonstrating their profound understanding of the world. They are a bit fuzzy about the definitions of ‘socialism’, ‘capitalism’, ‘fascism’, ‘racism,’ ‘sexism’, etc. but, boy, can they work themselves up into a lather when expounding on them.

I’m watching a family member drift that way. It’s the school they went to, their circle of friends, and the media they consume that reinforces their intellectual laziness. There is no point in proposing other reading material because they already know everything. The holiday visits will be…interesting.

Beautiful picture of the supercell on the ground. I think I drove through one of those once…stupid, stupid, stupid. It’s very dark and extremely windy inside, with buckets and buckets of rain. I had to pull over to what I assumed was the shoulder of the road and hope like hell the cars behind me would do the same. The whole experience lasted a few minutes, then it was bright sunshine again. No damage to the truck I was in, but if I’d been in a small light car it might have been a different story. Next time I see one of those things coming down the road, I’ll high-tail it the other way.

2. Unidentified Victim
    Unidentified Victim December 4, 2018 5:13 am

Interesting juxtaposition.

Marriott is the current leader in the “Data Breach of the Week” contest, followed by a cop shop wanting you to store the information about your valuables in their database.

Is Forrest Gump Theology now a requirement for high school graduation, or is it taught only to police academy students? Inquiring minds want to know…..

3. Jim Brook
    Jim Brook December 4, 2018 7:20 am

I stayed at a small motel in the middle of Wyoming, where no ID was requested recently, and we just paid in cash. That is the anomaly, however. If one wants to stay in a hotel, and does not want their credit card info stolen, is it possible anywhere other than a little motel in Wyoming to not use a credit card? Does anybody know how it can be done?

4. Ruth
    Ruth December 4, 2018 7:27 am

Jim, been a few years since I tried it, but at that point yes, but you got really weird looks, and they still wanted ID.

Comrade X December 4, 2018 8:33 am

By accident I figured out how to solve the problem; I recently stayed at a Marriott, I was going to an event that night called The Whisky Extravaganza 2018, for some unknown reason the next day after the event my memory of that night was spotty and when I checked for my credit card I couldn’t locate it so I immediately canceled the card, Fear No Breach! because you can always cancel your card and get a new one after you use it!

Pat December 4, 2018 8:41 am

Miseducated or stupid?

Both. They have beem miseducated, and that makes them ignorant.

Stupid, too? Yes.

They’ve never been taught how to think or assess what they hear and read — and were raised by parents who wanted too much, too soon, and didn’t want to work for it, didn’t even want to raise their kids but let the world as it was happening — wars, protests, morally contradictory entertainment (in TV, music, books, movies), and their own personal desires without consequence — raise them instead.

So miseducation and stupidity are the result of modern humanity that refuses to be what it should have become — a rational, knowledgeable species fully cognizant of what’s going on and prepared to handle it. Where these people will lead us — who knows?

7. ellendra
    ellendra December 4, 2018 9:18 am

I once encountered a supercell at night, and I really wish I could have taken video of it. I’d been driving along, trying to figure out why there was a fireworks display just out of sight, after all it wasn’t a holiday or anything. Then I crested a hill, and came face-to-face with a wall of lightning.

RED lightning!

I never even knew that lightning could be red! In the time it took me to turn the truck around, I saw flashes in green, blue, and orange, as well as that weird shade of blood-red. No wonder it looked like a fireworks display!

I hightailed it back home and battened down the hatches, but it never reached that far. Just a narrow ribbon of territory. Rumor had it that in that path they saw more lightning strikes that night than they’d had the previous 100 years combined, although I never saw an official count.

If there had been a camera recording it as it came in, it would have made an awesome video.

8. larryarnold
    larryarnold December 4, 2018 9:49 am

Long after Bush retired, the son of one of his detail’s agents got leukemia. Bush joined the agents in shaving his head to show support.
    He was a gentleman.

stupid or merely miseducated
    Both.

There is something easy about being a socialist.
    True that. “Why should I sweat for an education, prepare for a job, or plan for retirement, if I can get the government to provide ‘to each according to his need’ for me?”
    Works great, until it doesn’t.

Year’s worth at once? Maybe if it’s significantly cheaper in bulk. Otherwise it’s “use one, buy one, rotate supply.” TEOTWAWKI could happen in December.

I’m still not sure humans are designed to remain mentally involved in doing something if they aren’t the ones doing it.

9. ProGunFred
    ProGunFred December 5, 2018 7:01 am

If you’re Red Flagged, you’ll need a purchase record of your weapons. Tick Tock.

Why do we never hear a bad word about daddy Bush? Because he was a genuinely nice, kind, and decent man. He was certain that his plans and policies were right for the nation. Everything he did was with all earnestness of anticipation in its general good for us and the world at large. He was, the most dangerous kind of leader.

You would be shocked at the data the major hotel chains have on you. They essentially do a criminal background on all of their guests.

Claire December 5, 2018 8:10 am

“the most dangerous kind of leader”

A damaging sort of leader, for sure. Still a distant second to the leader who imagines he can create paradise on earth if he could just get rid of those pesky Jews, Armenians, kulaks, intellectuals, western influences, disrupters, unmutual elements …