Weekend links

• Nobody is turning in standard-capacity mags in New Jersey.
  • But good lord! Rob Pincus thinks they should obey, obey, obey. You’d think a man of his experience would know something about the Bill of Rights. Or Marbury v Madison.
  • The FIBbies were supposed to answer some congressional questions about their raid on that Clinton Foundation whistleblower. They didn’t. Those guys have been way too big for their britches since the days of J. Edgar Hoover, and getting worse. A perfect example of perfectly predictable “unintended consequences.”
  • Will it really be bye-bye Obamacare? All of it? I’d be surprised if the Supreme Court let such a sweeping ruling stand. But meanwhile it’s good riddance and time to see if the R’s will step up while they still have control of both houses. (How likely is that?)
  • ‘Cause those incoming Householders are really, really toxic to the point of downright evil.
  • Signal app to Australia: Lotsa luck with that crypto ban. (And I say the same goes for gun banners everywhere, too.)
  • This story’s making the rounds. I spotted it first at Wendy’s place, then at Maggie’s Farm. But it’s too good not to repeat (especially with the dreadful state of U.S. colleges and universities). A Ph.D. candidate at a Swedish university was trapped in a war zone four years ago. His university hired mercenaries to pull him out.
  • Speaking of stories making the rounds, there’s still $300,000 missing from that NJ highway money spill.
  • And speaking of money, the DoE is canceling $150 million of student debt for students whose colleges (mostly Corinthian) shut down in the last few years.
  • If it’s really true that Johnson & Johnson knew for decades that it’s talcum powders sometimes contained asbestos and they aggressively tried to hide that knowledge, they’ll deserve the fate that’s about to befall them. I was among the doubters; now I’m not so sure.
  • One year ago, the FCC killed the Internet. Funny thing; it’s not dead yet.
  • But let’s hope F*c*b**k soon keels over cold under the weight of its own chronic malfeasance.
  • Keanu Reeves may not be the most expressive actor in Hollywood. But by damn, the more I learn about him, the more he seems like one of the finest human beings in the trade. (And he’s serious about his filmic gun handling, too.)

I’m taking tomorrow off from blogging and from any technology more invasive than a microwave oven. I’ve already delivered Christmas presents to my local friends today and have nothing more on the weekend agenda. This will be me:

1. Fred M.
    Fred M. December 15, 2018 2:39 pm

When Rob Pincus was first starting out I saw his videos where he exhibited dangerous gun handling skills. Ever since then I have relegated him to the last person I would want to learn firearm skills from. If you listened to Pincus we wouldn’t have had a Revolutionary War since all the laws passed by the English and Tory governments were valid. There are good laws and there are bad laws and the bad laws must be opposed, sometime with our blood.
    Why is it up to the “people” to pay for the student loans of students who attended colleges that have since shut down? Does that mean the “people” will now pay me for the companies I invested in who are now out-of-business?
    Keanu Reeves is one of the most proficient and skillful gun handlers in the business today. He developed his skills under the tutelage of Taran Butler of Taran Tactical Innovations in Simi Valley, CA. Years ago Taran developed a shooting range at his home in Simi Valley and initially had it open to the local police to practice and train. Taran is himself one of the best competitive and practical shooters in the world. Keanu at work.

2. James
    James December 15, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: your plan for tomorrow. That looks like MORE than just a good idea. That looks positively compelling!

3. Iwoots
    Iwoots December 15, 2018 7:50 pm

Re. New Jersey

While I am sure that a lot of “high capacity” magazines will be lost in tragic boating accidents, perhaps along with the military style rifles, I have nothing to worry about.

A long time ago, I sold all such equipment. I’m sure that the people that I sold to are law-abiding citizens. After all, they are all elected representatives that I met through older acquaintances and neighbors (who are now, unfortunately deceased – the neighbors and acquaintances, not the elected officials). Though, I was unsure why members of a political party that generally oppose the private ownership of such would want to buy the rifles and magazines from a non-FFL.

Oh, well – that’s my story and I’m sticking to it if the government ever shows up at my door. Plus, I’ll just hand them a list of the equipment, along with the names down at the state capitol.

{Bwah ha ha ha}

4. larryarnold
    larryarnold December 15, 2018 10:41 pm

WTG lwoots
    Had a conversation recently with a guy who thought the new “red flag” laws didn’t pertain to him, since he doesn’t have a gun.
    “So, if someone says you have a gun and are dangerous, and a judge signs a warrant saying you have to turn in your gun, and the SWAT team shows up and demands your gun, and you can’t cough up a gun, how do you think that will go?”

You know that funny look when the brain locks into a recursive loop? Yeah.

5. Unidentified Victim
    Unidentified Victim December 16, 2018 1:45 am

I see a marketing opportunity here. Since these days everyone claiming to be an American, but really isn’t, is afraid of everything from the Zombie Apocalypse to their own shadow, the idea of “having a “gun” on hand to turn in when you’re red-flagged” could be a money maker.

High quality replica guns – a set of 3: handgun, rifle, shotgun, along with fairly realistic dummy ammo – sold as a “red flag package” for, say, $299.50, packaged in an attractive glass front case suitable for wall mounting, would be a useful gift. When the Red Flag SWAT boys show up, just point to the wall case.

It won’t prevent a house-destroying search by the low IQ badge crowd, but at least you’ll probably live long enough to think of other options to pursue while you’re confined in the local nut house waiting for your court hearing.

And, along those lines, at what point does it become de rigueur, or even necessary, to establish a completely false and entirely sacrificial, but easily usable, series of identities to avoid identity theft and red-flagging to begin with?

6. jed
    jed December 16, 2018 8:54 am

I left a comment for Pincus. Not sure whether it’ll show up, but I figured it was time for a reminder on fundamentals.

7. nick flandrey
    nick flandrey December 16, 2018 10:21 am

” left a comment for Pincus. Not sure whether it’ll show up, but I figured it was time for a reminder on fundamentals.”

Me too. Starting with “We hold these truths to be self evident….”

n

8. larryarnold
    larryarnold December 16, 2018 11:50 am

Weeelllll, That’s the “beauty”* of the red flag laws. You don’t go to the nut house. SWAT busts down your door, handcuffs you, slaps the warrant, trashes your house, steals your guns, junks them (no matter how valuable) into a van, then they unhook you and leave.

Most red flags are pitched as “mental health” laws, but they have no mental health component. Nobody with any mental health credentials even looks over the paperwork, much less does a face-to-face. The only people who see you are SWAT, while you’re lying there handcuffed. They just turn you loose.

That’s bad enough if you were actually not a danger, and it was a crank call. You’re only totally pi**ed off, and liable to want to have a Come-to-Jesus with whoever you suspect turned you in.

But when they red flag the guy who was on the edge, they’ll boot him over the cliff.

“But he doesn’t have his guns.” (Or at least the one’s SWAT found.)

The three worst U.S. mass murders since 1990, body counts far above anything shooters have done, involved no firearms.

* People who are dangerous can be locked up, but public opinion disfavors doing so unnecessarily. Therefore there’s paperwork and hearings and real evaluations. Red flags shortcut this process. “It’s okay to call. They’ll just take his guns, not lock him up.” That’s why they make the anti-gun folks salivate.

Unfortunately SWAT raids, or even wellness checks, have a tendency to produce fatalities.

Comrade X December 16, 2018 12:40 pm

Rob Pincus must obviously believe that the highest law of the land is the law of the state, too bad he doesn’t understand the meaning of unalienable and that our rights are absolute and natural in which no man nor government of man can legally denied us these rights.

10. Ruth
    Ruth December 16, 2018 6:15 pm

Ok, the J&J talcum powder stuff is interesting. I was feeling pretty skeptical too, not that talcum powder COULD be bad, but it seems every time SOMETHING turns out to be MAYBE bad the crazies come out of the woodwork. But if J&J knew for years and years that there was asbestos in their talc…….

11. Fred M.
    Fred M. December 17, 2018 12:40 pm

Good news! Michael Gross is perfect for the role and has added immeasurably to the series. Would love to see Reba star again as his gun totting Bride.

Claire December 17, 2018 12:51 pm

I admit that although I loved the original movie, I’ve never seen any of its follow-up. Maybe an episode or two. But nothing could possibly top “Broke into the wrong goddamn rec room, didn’t ya you bastard?” and I didn’t want to be disappointed.

But Michael Gross sticking with it makes it seem as if I might have missed something.

13. jed
    jed December 17, 2018 9:12 pm

It seems that Pincus isn’t interested in publishing much in the way of dissenting opinions. And he’s in no danger of getting Zumboed either, since his clientele includes LEOs. Guess we know how his bread gets buttered.

Claire December 18, 2018 7:26 am

jed — I’m sorry but not at all surprised to hear that. Thanks for the try.

15. Blow
    Blow December 20, 2018 9:49 am

I left a comment for that fool Pincus as well. He’ll never post it. Not that it’s vulgar (it isn’t) but because it calls him out for what he is. A simpering coward.