I’m done

Note to GL and D3: I wanted to contact you privately before writing this, but I lost your addresses in October’s computer crash. Please forgive the surprise notice; you deserve better for your faithful, long-time support of me and this blog.

—–

I dread writing this. But … I’m done.

I’m finished blogging.

The blog will remain online for the foreseeable future, but I’ll no longer be posting regularly. Or even semi-regularly. I don’t know whether I’ll be posting at all, but if I do, it will be more in the style of a hobby blog than a serious endeavor.

—–

Since August, when Amazon de-platformed me, the blog has garnered no broad-based support.

A few readers, old and new, jumped in to become Patreons, increase their existing Patreon pledges, buy coffees, or make one-time contributions. I’m more grateful to that handful of people than I can say. I’m especially grateful to GL, who strapped a parachute on me while I was in post-Amazon freefall. He and S saved me from disaster.

But it isn’t right that a few generous souls should keep this blog going.

Amazon made it seamless and painless for a lot of readers to send a little bit of support every single month. There is nothing else equal to Amazon.

Almost immediately after the de-platforming, I also lost the biggest regular monthly donation I ever had. I don’t regret that loss; that contribution was always a gift, not an expectation. I was fortunate to receive it as long as I did.

But the upshot was, and is, that even with the new and enlarged Patreon contributions the blog brings in one-fourth what it brought in five months ago.

Long-time readers know that this is not the first time the blog has abruptly lost half or more of its income. I simply don’t have the energy to fight those losses any more.

I’ve received an offer of non-writing work and I’m going to take it. The new work doesn’t take a lot of time, but it requires tremendous commitment and energy, leaving less for blogging. It’s intriguing, too. Something entirely new, something that exercises more than my brain.

——-

I feel as if I should make some grand parting statement about freedom and its future. But I don’t have it in me tonight.

The simple (or not so simple) fact is that we will be free if we put our minds and lives to it, and we can be free despite anything our alien overlords do.

I hope I’ve made some difference to some people, offered inspiration and useful ideas. I hope many other freedomistas come along — determined, clever, insouciant, and strong. I’m encouraged that so many people in all parts of the spectrum are finally realizing that politics and big government aren’t the path to freedom.

I hope I’ve played a part in that, but it’s really just history and reality in action.

——-

What next?

I expect you dear Patreons and my one SubscribeStar supporter to cancel your pledges. If you want to keep them going for another month or two to help cover next year’s domain registrations and hosting fees for the blog and the Living Freedom Forums, great.

If not, I thank you for what you’ve given in the past and what you were willing to give for the future.

By March, I’ll probably cancel my Patreon, SubscribeStar, and Buy Me a Coffee accounts.

The Living Freedom Forums will remain open and active. I may try to spend more time there, but even without me around, there’s a lot going on.

Oh, about the forums …

When my computer crashed, I lost access to the email address used to accept new forum applications. I finally recovered that addy last week and found quite a few people applying for membership (and probably wondering why the heck the membership team was ignoring them). The recovery owes thanks to MP, C^2, JB, and others.

Those neglected apps are being reviewed as we speak. Thanks to KP for invaluable help with that.

If you think you might miss the blog and you haven’t yet joined the forums, consider applying. The forums are a congenial, active place for discussion.

Also, forum member rockchucker is in the process of converting some of my best older pieces to .pdf and making them available to forum participants who’ve been active beyond their initial three-month provisional period. Maybe that’s some incentive.

It’s been a long, strange, often gratifying trip.

Because this blog is the last remaining “public” writing I’ve been doing, ending the blog also means ending my writing career (such as it is). I won’t stop writing. Writers write and that’s that. But I have no plans ever to publish again. If I do, it’ll be something completely different.

I have felt loved for 23 years (the precise amount of time since 101 Things was published. Even when I’ve been hated, it’s been interesting. Entertaining and instructive. But mostly I’ve been blessed with kindness. Readers have become friends. Supporters have become neighbors, even from thousands of miles distance.

I have truly gotten by with a LOT of help from my friends.

Of all the things I’ve done, I’m proudest of the fact that I’ve surrounded myself with the most decent, caring, articulate, thoughtful, civilized audience any writer could wish to have. Even as the Internet turns into a sewer and political discourse becomes nothing more than a contest to see who can out-shout, out-sneer, out-whine, outrage, and demand the most vulgar attention, the blog Commentariat and the people on the Living Freedom Forums continue to rise above the sludge … and go right on thinking, building freedom, and agreeing to disagree with respect.

Given the condition of our civilization, this is as near to a miracle as it gets.

I’m tired. I’m done. But I’m fully aware how lucky I am … thanks to you.

1. Mark
    Mark December 17, 2019 2:43 am

A sad but not surprising consequence of Amazon’s actions, Claire. I have loved your writing from the start 23 years ago and you have made a huge impact on me and, I am sure, many, many others. You have fought a good fight and have earned a time of rest and actually enjoying even more that freedom you have fought for. I hope your new endeavor is rich and rewarding.

See you in the Forums.

2. deLaune
    deLaune December 17, 2019 3:45 am

My boys were seven and four when I bought “101 Things.” That book (along with Jeff Cooper’s “To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth” ) was a favorite source of bedtime stories. Seriously. My kids are as weird as me.
    Since then they’ve started careers, moved away, and gotten married. But they still smile whenever Claire’s name is mentioned.

Pat December 17, 2019 4:09 am

Claire,

I’m sorry to see you go, but I understand — and in truth, it was expected. (My one real regret is that there will be no RebelFire II.)

I wish I could have contributed more in these months since Amazon messed you up.

Thank you for many years of honest, thoughtful, memorable writing, and for a perspective on one’s personal freedom that I never would have gotten anywhere else. It brought home a realization of just how fragile freedom is, and the reality of what it takes to find freedom and to keep it. No matter where we end up, it all begins with us, and no theoretical — or political — spouting will get us there.

Will rockchucker’s pdf also be available somewhere off the forums?

Enjoy your new endeavors, and I hope that real contentment comes with them. You’ve earned it.

4. DistOne
    DistOne December 17, 2019 5:11 am

Dear Claire,

Thank you for all the smiles and light you have brought over the years. I am sorry to see this blog end, but hopefully you will write something new and amazing again.

I firmly believe that this time of trial will end for us soon and we will all emerge stronger and better for it. As Ra says in the Law of One, we are all “forged in the fire”.

Please be well and best wishes for your new venture. There are many out here that love you.
    –Alan

5. Buzz
    Buzz December 17, 2019 6:19 am

Thanks Claire. You have made a difference.

6. david
    david December 17, 2019 6:49 am

Claire, I’ll miss your posts, but I understand. Several years ago my income suddenly fell to 17% of what it had been, and my entire life has been severely constrained by that unfortunate turn of events. I’ve yet to recover. But I’m getting by, as will you.

If I ever get to the Northwest again I’ll wear my Rebel Fire t-shirt around hoping you’ll see me, since we’ve never met and I wouldn’t know you from Eve.

7. kentmcmanigal
    kentmcmanigal December 17, 2019 7:05 am

This makes me sad, but like a lot of others, I understand. My blog income (which is my main income) has also dropped– to about half what it was just a few years ago. Don’t know if it’s me or the economy, or both. At least I never suffered the betrayal like the one Amazon hit you with. That would have been enough to do me in, so I respect you for trying to keep the blog going as long as you did after that thorough backstabbing.
    To Amazon: “Curse your sudden, but inevitable, betrayal”. If I believed in Karma…

I hope you enjoy your new endeavor. Maybe, sometime if you feel like it, you can post an update on how it’s going. I’d be interested to hear. And, just to know you’re still around. Oh, and pics of any more house/yard projects.

If I could pay back all the good you’ve done for me, you’d never have to worry about the money. Take care and remember that your readers care about you.

8. Biba
    Biba December 17, 2019 7:18 am

Claire, I just read your post and I went in to the other room and found my autographed copy of The Freedom Outlaws Handbook I think that I’ll read it again. Thanks for everything…

9. R R Schoettker
    R R Schoettker December 17, 2019 7:30 am

Good luck and best wishes.

Comrade X December 17, 2019 8:09 am

Without doubt you have made a real difference to me, thank you.

All I wish is that with what ever you feel is best for you that you do it and find happiness, life is short, enjoy it, be happy and it should always be found in your heart the knowledge that you have provided and been a force for good in your life for others.

You know we are almost neighbors so don’t be a stranger; come and visit one day.

11. Val E. Forge
    Val E. Forge December 17, 2019 8:21 am

Claire:

I too, began reading your stuff with 10 Things back in the late 1990’s. I have about 90% of the stuff you’ve published and I especially reread Freedom Outlaw’s Handbook and Political Burnout’s Guide. We’ll miss you, old girl. And yes, you DID make a difference. Don’t EVER doubt that.

12. khperkins
    khperkins December 17, 2019 8:51 am

Well you’ll be missed. I’ve been reading you since the 90s, and you are actually the only person I’m supporting on Patreon at this point, since the health problems started. I hope we’ll hear from you in the future though.

13. larryarnold
    larryarnold December 17, 2019 9:26 am

May good come from your new endeavor. The flame you lit will not be gone.

“Live long, and prosper.”

14. Owl
    Owl December 17, 2019 9:37 am

Claire, you have done so much, and though there is no way to quantify just how much influence you have, it is certainly real.

“If, for example, you are a writer or a speaker or a preacher, you put forth an idea which lodges in the Unbewußtsein [subconscious] of a casual member of the Remnant and sticks fast there. For some time it is inert; then it begins to fret and fester until presently it invades the man’s conscious mind and, as one might say, corrupts it. Meanwhile, he has quite forgotten how he came by the idea in the first instance, and even perhaps thinks he has invented it; and in those circumstances, the most interesting thing of all is that you never know what the pressure of that idea will make him do.” – Albert Jay Nock

Fair winds and following seas . . .

Joel December 17, 2019 10:49 am

I’ll miss the blog of course, but wish you much success in all your endeavors.

16. Noah Body
    Noah Body December 17, 2019 11:45 am

Sorry to hear this, Claire, but you have to do what you have to do. You will be missed. Good luck on your new directions in life.

As a life-long activist, I also ponder whether what I have done actually made a difference. It’s one of those things you never really know, But as one influenced by your writing, I can attest that you have made a difference. You introduced me to some new thoughts and concepts, and made me realize where my true political home is, and gave a name to the inner longings I have always had but never formally acknowledged or named. For this I thank you.

17. Greg
    Greg December 17, 2019 2:03 pm

Of course, I’ll miss your blog, but I think I understand where you’re coming from. Like so many others, I’ve been a fan of yours for decades. It’s not just that you’ve touched a lot of people, but that the kind of people you’ve managed to reach are some of the most admirable and rugged freedom-lovers you could ever hope to meet. I can’t thank you enough.

18. Jorge
    Jorge December 17, 2019 3:07 pm

All the best Claire. You will be missed. Never doubt that you made a positive impact on many lives.

19. John
    John December 17, 2019 6:45 pm

I’m a spot late here.
    This isn’t a funeral.
    Just a turning of the page.

The path to liberty is forward, for those who seek it.
    Something, something, about a rose garden…
    All that care,
    Keep the fires lit.

20. Bob
    Bob December 17, 2019 6:47 pm

All good things must come to an end.

Been following you since my WebbTV days up in Northern Maine.

Good luck!

21. Harvey Morrell
    Harvey Morrell December 18, 2019 5:33 am

Thank you so much for continuing to keep this going as long as you did. Your writings, along with Sunni Maravillosa’s blog (another blog gone dark), was one of my daily stops on the web. You will be missed.

22. Ron Johnson
    Ron Johnson December 18, 2019 5:39 pm

Thank you for your years of articulate and thoughtful posts. You will be missed. I wish you the best of luck in your next stage of life.

23. just waiting
    just waiting December 18, 2019 8:32 pm

Claire,
    Its sad to see this, especially today when America’s awkwardness has truly reached a new stage. You’ve been an inspiration to all in my house, especially my daughter who treasures the books you sent her greater than any in her ever growing freedomista library.
    All the best to you.

D,C & S

ps. you’re permanent place on the honey list is secure.

24. Antibubba
    Antibubba December 18, 2019 9:01 pm

I wish I had a nickel for every time I wanted to show my appreciation, but I am poorer than Dustbowl dirt too. I’ve enjoyed your books–I’m holding my copy of “I Am Not A Number” in my lap. I hope to hear you are doing well. Thank you for fighting the lonely fight.

25. ellendra
    ellendra December 18, 2019 9:20 pm

**hugs**

Your writings will be sorely missed!! I wish you the best in your endeavors!

26. See
    See December 19, 2019 10:47 am

Thank you for everything you have given to us over the years. I will miss your posts, but understand your situation. Wishing you the best on this next chapter of your life.

27. John Wilder
    John Wilder December 19, 2019 12:59 pm

Thanks so much for all you’ve given us.

28. Friday Links | 357 Magnum
    Friday Links | 357 Magnum December 20, 2019 7:15 am

[…] Wolfe at Living Freedom Blog – I’m done. Sad to see her […]

29. Those People
    Those People December 20, 2019 11:20 am

Claire, I have gotten so much from your excellent perspective over the years and will be rereading your books and blog posts. Hearty Happy Adventures Ahead to you, and maybe someday I will have the good fortune of running into a green dragon scarf-clad mystery woman here in our nearby major metropolis. Thank you heaps!

30. Nuclear Druid
    Nuclear Druid December 21, 2019 6:38 am

All the best to you. So many lives are fuller for the paths that you cut through the modern jungle.

31. SKSK
    SKSK December 21, 2019 4:30 pm

Thank you for all of the warmth and caring and your genuine effort! You helped my husband and me bring our intuitions about the general state of things in this country come into more mature focus. We will be carrying on, of course, with our own process, and naturally wish you all the best with yours.

32. free.and.true
    free.and.true December 21, 2019 5:04 pm

I, too, am sad to learn of your being “done”… and I cherish years’ worth of memories and inspirations thanks to you — ever since I first found Loompanics and 101 Things back around 1996-97. I remember feeling thrilled that someone was thinking and stating such ideas in real life and real time, not just in fiction or history.

That said, Claire, — and I mean this kindly — I think you’ve been feeling “done” here for upwards of a year. It’s seemed as if you didn’t know what to write anymore, or didn’t feel drawn to do so, somehow. As if the air had seeped out of your hot-air balloon.

So I’m not really surprised. Just saddened at the end of an era. And I hope you soon find the next thing to warm up your balloon and get you aloft again, however that might happen.

33. JayBee
    JayBee December 22, 2019 2:07 pm

Claire,

I discovered you some time back thanks to a relative and have enjoyed the books, the articles, and the free ice cream. While I’m sorry to see you hanging up your guns, I wish you nothing but good fortune in all your future endeavors.

34. A.C.
    A.C. December 24, 2019 11:48 am

Your posts will be missed but maybe it’ll all come up roses in the end. Best wishes and I sincerely hope Amazon’s demonetization is just the closing of one door that makes room for the opening of a newer, better one. At the least you’ll be writing (even if we don’t see it).

Have a merry Christmas and prosperous 2020.

35. coloradohermit
    coloradohermit December 24, 2019 4:33 pm

I truly understand your “doneness” because I’ve been feeling much the same myself. I will miss your posts and insights after these many years since the TCF days. I’m so blessed to have known you and to have memories surrounding me in your books and art.

Prayers up that your new beginning is a joy for you! Karen

36. Val E. Forge
    Val E. Forge December 24, 2019 6:28 pm

To touch on what free.and.true said:

Yes, it truly is the ending of an era. First Loompanics, then Palladin Press, and now Claire Wolfe. An entire generation of Freedomistas is passing the torch. I hope to God someone in the next generation is up to the task.

37. LibertyNews
    LibertyNews December 26, 2019 7:13 am

Good luck on the next big adventure Claire!

38. Black Ort
    Black Ort December 29, 2019 4:10 pm

As the new decade approaches I’m counting up what will be missed from the 20-Teens.
    Claire’s postings and publications top the list.

39. Bob
    Bob December 29, 2019 7:16 pm

Don’t worry. Writers, entertainers, politicians, etc., don’t stay “done” for too long. It’s in the blood, I guess.

Claire will be back, in one form or another. And her stuff is better than most, so we’ll just have to wait.

Pat January 1, 2020 9:49 am

“May peace and plenty bless your world with a joy that long endures, and may all life’s passing seasons bring the best to you and yours.” — Irish Blessing

Happy New Year to Everyone!

41. BG
    BG January 2, 2020 8:06 pm

Amazon and Google win again. Soon there won’t be any alternative voices. What a shame.

42. maDDtraPPer
    maDDtraPPer January 6, 2020 10:25 am

This makes me sad.

43. FishOrMan
    FishOrMan January 8, 2020 3:06 pm

With this shift, hopefully your rewards are great and tangible. Onwards and upwards! Sees how often I am online these days, only now here. Course, Hong Kong has my interest of late. Anyway, just yesterday I was telling the kids about what executive order 6012 did to remove FRN from the gold standard and how a certain tyrant didn’t deserve to live into old age. Rather out of the blue, my 10 yo added how said tyrant needed to go on a little trip to Hardyville. 😉 LOVED, LOVABLE, LOVELY!

44. Tahn
    Tahn January 9, 2020 10:18 am

Claire,

I am also late in responding. I have enjoyed and benefited from your writings and philosophy for many years. Thank you!

Having said that, I am both saddened and elated to hear you are withdrawing but that’s what the Doctor ordered for me, many a decade ago. “Turn on, tune in and drop out”. When I did, a great weight dropped from my shoulders. May the same happen for you.

I am saddened for the many of us who have benefited from and who looked forward to your work but I am elated to know that YOU can enjoy more freedom in your escape from a “routine” that has become more drudgery than joy and has stopped being monetary rewarding.

I truly believe that you, Claire, have done more in your life to spread truth and freedom, than most so called “Freedom Writers”. I can’t tell you, how many times someone has read one of your books or essays (I’ve given away a “few”.) and has remarked to me, “This is wonderful. Now I understand!” On their behalf and mine, Thank You!

Peace and Love!

Tahn

45. Val E. Forge
    Val E. Forge January 9, 2020 2:01 pm

FishOrMan and Tahn – You both said it! My thoughts exactly!

46. Val E. Forge
    Val E. Forge January 9, 2020 2:06 pm

BTW/FWIW: My December 17 2019 comment has a typo. It SHOULD read, “I too, began reading your stuff with 101 Things [NOT 10 Things] back in the late 1990’s.” I am referring of course to Claire’s classic often referred to as “Don’t Shoot The Bastards (Yet).”

47. Randall
    Randall January 22, 2020 8:11 pm

Claire has had such a tremendous impact on my life. I hope that her next venture brings her joy, wealth, and most of all, freedom.

48. strycatTom
    strycatTom January 24, 2020 1:05 pm

Way back in the day a friend told me there was a writer for this magazine that had a book I absolutely needed to read. I’ve been a fan ever since. Obviously I didn’t read this blog daily (or I would have left a reply sooner), but it was definitely one I like reading. I wish you the best of luck and hope you’ll this around even if it is only infrequently updated.