Thursday links

• More on the highly instructive government-caused chaos in India. A report from a freedomista on the scene (H/T BillT in comments). And will gold importation, as well as bills, be banned? India’s economy is lurching to a standstill. There is panic, despair, and real danger of death over an arbitrary decision whose consequences any sensible person could have seen. But now, with Modi having “broken Indians’ legs,” the government is helpfully offering a crutch.
  • American life expectancy is falling as Russia’s fell after the Soviet collapse — and for similar reasons. But the fedgov will not take one of the simplest, most rational steps to ease the suffering.
  • Reason investigates puppycide — which in one jurisdiction (Detroit) seems to be reaching the proportions of dog-assassination squads.
  • I know we’re supposed to rejoice that the killer cop who offed polite, cooperative legal gun owner Philando Castile is being charged with manslaughter. But seriously — manslaughter??? That wasn’t manslaughter. It was second-degree murder committed under color of law. Officer Jeronimo Yanez. Remember the name.
  • Oh lord. The irony. “Gun control” laws that prevent easy transfers between friends and family members may actually increase suicides.
  • You already know this. But hate didn’t elect Donald Trump.
  • Microsoft … joins the Linux Foundation.

1. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran November 17, 2016 9:20 am

I was a Unix SA for many years, mainly administering systems that ran (god rests its’ soul) Sun Solaris and then eventually Redhat Linux servers and there was animosity towards Microsoft and their method of doing business. It’s hard to get away from Microsoft though and in my present job, email and calendaring is hosted on the Microsoft cloud and our workstations/laptops are all running the Windows OS. I still have a Linux VM running on my home system though, just to keep my chops up!

Claire November 17, 2016 11:32 am

Sadly excellent article, Brad R. Dauntingly long, but worth reading every word right down to the intelligent and informative comments.

One of the most intriguing points it makes is yet another one any person with common sense would realize: serious black money has already gone offshore and isn’t being affected by this. The poor and unsuspecting are the ones being destroyed.

The most disheartening thing, aside from the deaths, is that people with no understanding of principles (economic or moral) go on supporting the supposed intent of this horror while merely tsk tsking about the “poor implementation.” Like the villains in Atlas Shrugged.

3. Desertrat
    Desertrat November 17, 2016 2:27 pm

The Philippines had a currency change in 1950, However, the old notes were left in circulation. They were pulled in the banks during normally-made deposits. Griping, but no turmoil. None of India’s idiotic paperwork. And the change was only in the color.

India is even worse than Greece for corrupt bureaucrats. Plus lots of System D because of the red tape and paperwork to do any sort of business.

FWIW, literacy was higher during the British raj.

FWIW 2.0: I once had an Indian grad student comment that Kipling’s view of Indian culture was still apropos. “Kim” is still worth the read.

4. jed
    jed November 17, 2016 4:52 pm

Life expectancies don’t fall because medical science is going backward; they fall because people give up and stop taking care of themselves. Why plan for the future if the future seems to have little to offer?

Sad but true. I actually have no great yearning for a long life. If it happens, OK, as long as I’m not a basket case mouldering away in decrepitude. CO just passed prop. 106, legalizing assisted suicide, and I have no problem with that.

@rochester_veteran: I’m just the opposite. Linux as my main desktop for almost 20 years. I have a WinXP VM here, and the laptop is dual-boot w/ Win7, but mostly, that’s for running SDR# (software defined radio), which has been troublesome, for me, under Linux.

In my years in the IT industry, I managed to avoid developing in Windows, mostly. I grudgingly use Windows only when I have to. Almost impossible, in the corp. world, to get away from Microsoft for collaborative stuff. I did work one place where they used the Lotus Suite, which was a bit odd, but worked well once you got used to it. And I remember Novell too. But back before my Oracle days, it was VMS baby!

5. jed
    jed November 17, 2016 4:54 pm

Sigh. Confirmed now that commenting requires JavaScript, whereas it didn’t used to. Odd that the comment form still sorta functions without JS, but goes to an HTTPS address, with errors off with an SSL failure

6. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran November 17, 2016 7:08 pm

jed: “I grudgingly use Windows only when I have to. Almost impossible, in the corp. world, to get away from Microsoft for collaborative stuff. I did work one place where they used the Lotus Suite”

My big brother was on the development team at Kodak for their Lotus Notes implementation. I’ve been an sysadmin for Unix email servers, web servers and DNS servers.

7. trying2b-amused
    trying2b-amused November 17, 2016 7:41 pm

Blaming money for corruption is just as clueless and / or evil as blaming guns for murder. And while nearly all freedom advocates understand the connection between State monopolization of gun possession and tyranny, not many grasp the connection – in the long run arguably (if for no other reason than that it is virtually unrecognized) even stronger – between State monopolization of money provision and tyranny.

8. ellendra
    ellendra November 17, 2016 10:02 pm

“Is that because the ivory tower planners of this botch really had no idea? Or because they didn’t care?”

India still has a lot of attitudes held over from the days of the strict caste system. It’s quite possible they simply didn’t care. Poor people are lower-ranking, and therefore unimportant in such a system.

In the US, politicians have to pretend to care about the poor.