Latest book updates

Well, never, ever, in my entire lifetime did I imagine a book of mine would be published with a flag merrily waving on the cover (even if the flag is sort of broken looking, like this one).

I received the cover image and book galleys this morning from Donna at Paladin Press and Peder Lund, esteemed Paladin publisher, called before 8:00 a.m. to caution me not to “go wild” when I saw the unspecified “attention-getting” thing he and artist Bob were doing with the art. LOL. I never “go wild” with publishers. I figure they know what they’re doing, and even if they don’t, the world isn’t going to come to an end. (Besides, although I hear tales of Artistes who are difficult to work with — and I know some of those very Artistes, myself, I’m so damn grateful that anybody publishes my work that I can’t imagine getting upset at anything a publisher does.) Although the cover isn’t what I’d have chosen, it’s a grabber and I think it’s good for a Paladin audience. And the book layout is great.

Also — to my surprise — the FedEx man came parading into my yard today with the first 10 boxes of Hardyville Tales. So give me a couple of days to set up to take orders … and then SEND MONEY.

Send lots and lots of money. Aside from the move-in/fix-up house expenses and the vehicle break-down disaster from my moving trip, I think my refrigerator is going out. (ONE DAY after I pay the last of the big moving expenses, the freezer compartment suddenly and mysteriously defrosts.)

More later. Today I’m beat from proofreading galleys and lugging book boxes. But what a nice kind of being beat. Two books at once. Can’t really get over it …

1. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal October 12, 2010 3:02 pm

Well, I do still have some Time’s Up flag stickers that I could use to cover up the offensive part of my copy. 😉

2. cctyker
    cctyker October 12, 2010 7:15 pm

Claire, congratulations on being published.

I’d like to be a customer of yours,

3. clarence
    clarence October 13, 2010 12:24 am

about the frig, sometimes the cooling fan for the compressor goes out and that allows all that heat to back up into the freezer. most cooling fan motors are universal type and are relatively inexpensive and easy to change by anyone even slightly mechanically-inclined. i’ve done a few myself.

btw, congrats on the books.

clarence

4. DrillSgtK
    DrillSgtK October 13, 2010 3:28 am

I like the cover, it will be eye catching and might provoke some conversations on my commute to school.

Claire October 13, 2010 12:02 pm

Thanks, DrillSgtK. You, my friend, shall have a copy in your hands as soon as I can get one to you.

Claire October 13, 2010 12:05 pm

clarence,

Thanks for the tip on the freezer problem! It would be great if it turned out to be something so simple.

Claire October 13, 2010 12:07 pm

cctyker,

Thank you. 🙂 I hope you will be a customer of mine. I’ve just got to get around to getting buying info online. I was thinking I had another week or so before the books would arrive.

8. Tahn
    Tahn October 13, 2010 12:42 pm

Claire,

How many Hardyville books to a case?

I’m thinking of Christmans gifts to the family. I don’t know how I could help them more.

Claire October 13, 2010 1:57 pm

Egads, Tahn. Twenty-four books in a case. I’m still working out prices, but anybody who wants to buy a case should get a heckuva discount. And all books autographed, of course. Bless your kind soul for thinking of it.

Still, I have to say that I think the Hardyville book would be enjoyed more by people who are already “there” when it comes to freedom. For waking people up, I expect the Bad Attitude Guide would be better received. I don’t have a price from Paladin on that yet. Unfortunately, I’m sure it’ll be quite a bit more than Hardyville Tales, because it’s not a misprint edition and because I’ll have to buy copies.

And Hardyville Tales does tell a story …

I’m very moved by your thought, Tahn. And of course, I’d just love to send off case lots!

I hope to have price info on everything tomorrow.

10. Debby Rich
    Debby Rich October 13, 2010 3:49 pm

If you all want to watch a fairly good
    movie, Watch “Touching Wild Horses
    with Jane Seymour. The only reason
    why she was allowed to stay on the
    island, was that she followed all the
    “goverment rules”.
    Take care.
    Debby

11. naturegirl
    naturegirl October 14, 2010 2:09 am

….I’d pull off a panel (or two, depending on the style) and vacuum it real good…..sometimes, that’s all it takes to make it behave itself…..I imagine it’s pretty dirty/dust bunnied in there….

I saw this and thought of you, Claire….. http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=157928&catid=339 …..and I’d have done the same thing this guy did….

Claire October 14, 2010 10:42 am

Thanks for the advice, naturegirl. Today … the freezer has decided to work again. But I’m suspicious. So I’ll probably open up a panel or two as you suggest and see if I can spot anything.

Thanks also for the link. I wonder whether the guy communicated to the cops why he was running their roadblock? Even if he didn’t, though, ticketing him and giving him a summons does seem a bit much.