Monday miscellany

• The Department of Homeland Security is in a rapid process of “regionalizing” its emergency supplies. If a private organization or a family were doing this, I’d say it was common sense in action. Given that it’s the fedgov … dunno. Gotta keep in mind that the federal government’s emergency preparations are, and always have been, focused on preserving itself and its operatives. (Tip o’ hat to Sam.)
  • The full text of Mikhail Khodorkovsky’s closing statement in his new trial. Substitute “United States” for “Russia” and much of it could be said — nay, shouted, here.
  • Scary chart. Especially for us low-income people. Good backgrounder.
  • Gob-smacking quote of the week: “It is not part of Labour’s politics for somebody to be telling lies to get themselves elected.” C^2, who sent the word along, added, “In separate news, BBC News staff won a special Oscar for keeping straight faces while reporting the news.” But they actually threw a guy out of office for lying??? Wow, wouldn’t that totally denude the halls of Congress if we did it here?
  • The article is about sleep loss and why extroverts apparently suffer more from its effects. But that’s not the most interesting part of the story for us introverts. (And I know most of you reading this are introverts.) It’s the bit about cerebral or cortical arousal and its role in determining whether we’re I’s or E’s. Oh, so that explains that, while we may like people a lot, too much socializing makes us I-types tired. Not that I believe everything I read. But that info-bit filled in a nice little blank for me.

Pat November 8, 2010 11:34 am

Among regionalization of supplies, I’m sure Homeland Security MUST have included a few armaments.

“From a preparedness standpoint, DHS seems to at least have some foresight, as a national emergency in, for example, California, would lead to serious supply problems if all of the food, medical supplies and water were located nearly 3000 miles away in Washington D.C.”

OTOH, HS would have control of those supplies in every region — and secured them at lesser prices, if as Item 3 states, prices are going up so drastically. Items 1 and 3 seem to go together; the poorer people would be more helpless and dependent on Big Brother, while fedgov would strengthen its control.

2. Victor Milan
    Victor Milan November 8, 2010 1:23 pm

Might it be a good time to remind everyone that the real reason for almost everything government does is to transfer wealth to its proprietors?

Somebody connected is getting contracts for these supplies.

MamaLiberty November 8, 2010 2:55 pm

Interesting article on introverts/extroverts and sleep… but I think there is a lot more to it that was not included in the test parameters.

I’ve always considered myself to be an extrovert, meaning I like people and enjoy interacting with them… though usually only on my own terms, especially if it is for more than a short while. I get very tired in crowds or when shopping, and if telephone conversations go on very long – even if I am sitting down and comfortable.

I’m also very hard of hearing, which easily makes many social situations awkward and unsatisfying. And, even though I’m quite deaf, very loud noises are extremely painful, so I don’t do concerts, movie theaters or other gatherings with a high decibel content. Super duper ear protection makes the gun range an exception, of course. 🙂

I am also quite happy to be alone and occupy myself easily without TV, games, or telephone conversations.

Does that make me an introvert instead? I’m not sure.

None of that has changed in the last 20 years. But until I came to Wyoming, I had a very long standing problem with sleep deprivation. I simply could not sleep, sometimes not for more than 20 minutes at a time. I also had a job with lots and lots of built in sleep deprivation and endless stress.

I came to Wyoming, retired and started working for myself. Now I sleep like a baby and wake refreshed – and have for the last 5 years.

So, I think stress levels, other health markers and lots of other things need to be studied before any conclusions can be drawn.

Probably a lot more than you ever wanted to know about me and what I think. LOL 🙂

4. naturegirl
    naturegirl November 8, 2010 4:55 pm

I’m an introvert who finds herself in extrovert type jobs constantly……I can sleep thru just about anything, including earthquakes…..

5. Judy
    Judy November 8, 2010 9:40 pm

MamaLiberty, you have just described an introvert. LOL We really do like own company best.

When I go to movies, concerts or any place with noise I use ear plugs to cut the decibels and to make the experience more livable.

6. Ellendra
    Ellendra November 8, 2010 9:44 pm

I’m trying not to read too much into the 3 month deadline mentioned in the Homeland Security article.

7. naturegirl
    naturegirl November 9, 2010 2:18 am

I can’t speak for all (or any) of the other lower income people, but as far as my situation – I can say that being on a tight budget/random commission pay scale only has made me all the more prepared….I already know how to make things stretch like gumby and have an understanding/acceptance of going without something frivolous (without whining)…..nobody subsidizes me, so I won’t miss it when it gets yanked away….it stinks to have to pay more for less, but if I’m not wasting it it still goes farther……