Firefly returns

It’s going to be on basic cable. No new episodes, unfortunately. Merely the originals plus unspecified “extras.” Still, there’s nothing “mere” about Firefly.

And Nathan Fillion — Capt. Mal — bless his heart, says among other things:

It was my favorite job ever. What wasn’t great about it? I got to wear a low-slung holster. I got to ride horses. I got to have a spaceship. I got to act mean and curmudgeonly. [Creator Joss Whedon] is really good at kicking characters in the nuts so the other characters would have laughs at my expense and that was great too.

… If I got $300 million from the California Lottery, the first thing I would do is buy the rights to Firefly, make it on my own, and distribute it on the Internet.

And please, Capt., if that ever happens, set it before Whedon and company so egregiously killed off you-know-who and you-know-who in the movie!

1. Suzan
    Suzan February 17, 2011 3:46 pm

We love Firefly. We have the DVD’s and we have to watch them at least once a year, along with Northern Exposure.

2. Travis
    Travis February 17, 2011 4:15 pm

I’m still wondering why there are no Firefly novels.

Pat February 17, 2011 4:44 pm

This is worth getting TV for!

I’d like to see the “extras” put on DVD, too, to add them to the series.

Claire February 17, 2011 4:57 pm

Pat, I’m going to look into this a little more to see if I can find out what the “extras” are. It’s possible they’re the extras that are already included in the DVD set; dunno.

Worth getting TV for? Wellll … If there were no DVDs or ethically downloadable movies, mebbe. (But I know; you’re probably just exaggerating to make a point. Getting TV … Nope. Not even for Firefly. Not even for Glee. Yes, I admit I’m in danger of becoming a Gleek, courtesy of DVD. That show is so stupid it goes over the top and becomes good. And lovable. And I just love anything that has good dancing …)

Pat February 17, 2011 5:46 pm

“But I know; you’re probably just exaggerating to make a point.”

Yeah, I am — since I already have the DVD set. But if they went into production for new episodes, I might consider TV.
    Have never seen Glee.

Off-topic: I did just buy a musical, “Gigi”, that was on my list. I love the musical score.

6. Brogan
    Brogan February 17, 2011 6:14 pm

Why do you think Firefly got canceled in the first place? It’s theme was pro freedom / anti government. It resembled just a bit too much what is going on today…. can’t have that now. I know of no other reason why a very popular “Money maker” would get canceled… They even ignored the huge letter writing and email campaign to get it back on the air… Something to think about.

~ Alliance Commander: “Seems odd you’d name your ship after a battle you were on the wrong side of.”

Mal: “May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”

7. fitz
    fitz February 18, 2011 10:08 am

Steven Brust wrote a great Firefly novel called My Own Kind of Freedom. It was not published but is freely available on his website. I also highly recommend his Vlad Taltos book series.

8. Scott
    Scott February 18, 2011 10:15 am

I saw the movie first-at the theatre,which made want to get the DVDs..It’s a hoot-a spacegoing Western,something that sounds goofy,but was made to work,and work well. The Reavers need to add a canna STP to their spacecraft-looks like they’re burning oil..Are you sure there aren’t Firely novels, or at least a novelization of the movie? Something to check into..

9. Scott
    Scott February 18, 2011 10:23 am

Odd that there’s isn’t at least a novelization of the movie-just a comic book series. Am I the only one that looks at props on movies/TV shows to see if they can figure out what they started out life as? I wonder what their guns started out life as? I used to occasionally build props as part of a job, so I guess that’s where that habit came from..

10. Scott
    Scott February 18, 2011 1:42 pm

It’s me again-not trying to be a pest, but there’s a fan film called Browncoats Redemption”-set in the Firefly universe(or ‘verse)-in looking at the trailer, it seems to be a fairly high quality fan film.

11. marlana
    marlana February 20, 2011 6:08 pm

The hubbie and I watched the two hour pilot on netflix last night. It was definitely fun to watch. We both chuckled throughout. Thanks for suggesting it!

Claire February 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Marlana, is this your first experience with Firefly? If so, it only gets better from here. 🙂 (Except for the sadness of knowing how few episodes there are.)