A while back we talked about “it” — The Day, The Moment, the trigger event, the one unmistakable signal that the house of cards is really, truly commencing to fall. Will there ever be such a moment? If so, will we recognize it when it happens or only spot it in retrospect? Or will there be no “it” — just be a dreary slide?
I don’t know whether we’ll ever see an “it.” But one thing you can be sure of; the country you live in in wildly overgoverned to the edge of collapse when everything hangs on political whim. When markets soar and collapse more on the word of politicians and policy-makers than on anything to do with underlying reality. When states vie for attention by exaggerating their political importance. When employers don’t hire workers because they can’t calculate what the latest regulatory nightmare is going to cost.
I’m pretty sure it was like that in the old Soviet Union. Every decision political.
Keep your powder dry and your dried lentil recipes handy. And be patient.
Now on to other, miscellaneous matters:
- When the justice system doesn’t work … justice works without a system.
- “Ten career lessons from Julia Child.” Seriously. She had great ways around excuses.
- No, this doesn’t reek of entrapment or anything. How can you be so suspicious?
- The guy may still be a statist bankster, but he’s got a charming way with dissent.
- Via Vrsovice Rebel at TMM. Oh my. Censoring Firefly.
- World’s strangest cheese commercial.