1. EN
    EN March 13, 2012 11:41 pm

Good article. The debate about bringing guns around kids and parks is the fallback position that gun control advocates are now using and their arguments there are weak. Interesting to note that woman are leading the way in all this. One could go to a concealed carry class ten years ago and you wouldn’t see a single woman. Now you’ll see 40 percent at least. In many ways giving woman the vote destroyed any semblance of freedom in the US as a very substantial majority of woman prefer big government. But on this issue alone it shows there’s a lot of hope for getting people to take responsibility of their own lives.

2. Kevin Wilmeth
    Kevin Wilmeth March 14, 2012 1:49 am

Certainly better than the “file tape” hoplophobic bilge I’m accustomed to reading, but then that’s pretty faint praise. (Much better was The Atlantic‘s recent “The Secret History of Guns”, which actually inspired me to considered comment. Then again, I suppose The Atlantic is not precisely MSM.)

One would think that at least the hardcore victim disarmers would try to do something new every once in a while, just to keep things fresh, but maybe they’re just trying to bore us to death or something. I suppose there’s the Gunwalker effort, to deliberately manufacture the meme-of-the-day out of dead brown people, but even that exercise in murderous cynicism just adds premeditation to the already-long-established willingness to let people die for their vision of “a safer America”.

And just think: at the same time as all this “legitimate” reform has been going on, how many others simply go about their peaceable business with precisely the same consideration as “the law” has for them? Why…that’s not even measurable. 🙂

3. AgoristDon
    AgoristDon March 14, 2012 7:39 am

Interesting, because I almost blogged about the article’s subtle anti-gun bias all the way through. From the leading example of a guy who decided to go defenseless to the park to the bit toward the end about 1% of carry permit holders committing crimes (including non-gun-related misdemeanors, FFS) I thought it was loaded with bias.

“Damning with faint praise” was the way I took it.

Claire March 14, 2012 9:01 am

I agree the CSM article isn’t as fine a thing as that Atlantic piece. Guess I’m just impressed when anybody in the MSM does research on guns and gun law.

Joel March 14, 2012 10:53 am

“”People like to explain all of this away as the gun lobby doing its work, but it’s really peasants with pitchforks,” says Valone. “We were the tea party before the tea party was cool.””

Heh. Wish I’d seen this quote a month ago…

Claire March 14, 2012 10:55 am

Yup. I had the same thought.

For those not in the loop (which is everybody but me, Joel, and Denny Hansen of SWAT magazine), Joel and I co-authored a piece a couple of weeks ago for which that quote would have been brilliantly apt. The article was Joel’s idea & will appear as an “Enemy at the Gate” column in one of the early summer/late spring issues.

7. EN
    EN March 14, 2012 4:37 pm

This is interesting. I’ve been saying for a while now that woman getting into guns have changed everything. I go to the local gun store and I see all kinds of woman (of all ages) alone and buying a gun. My Buddy Heidi Smith wrote this for American Handgunner (Pg 40), which is kind of run by a very conservative (means all male) gun culture. The worst of the worst bad guys don’t like coming to your place when the man of the house is at home. Even if they do having your wife/partner/mom/sister, whatever, for back up could mean the difference. It’s a no brainer and she’s addressing this here.

8. Desertrat
    Desertrat March 16, 2012 11:41 am

The writer kept asking if more CHL made the nation safer. Wrong question, wrong view. We have a military whose intended purpose is to keep the nation safer. The issue of a CHL is whether you and I are safer.

Safety, per various high courts, is an individual responsibility, not a duty of the police–their duty is to maintain peace and order in the community. And, one can add, function as janitors.

The Second Amendment was not thought of as a self-defense right, but as part of a package of protections against abuse of power by the state. Says so in the Preamble. Then came the additive view of the Heller decision.

However, from the standpoint of “equal protection under the law”, a ChL is a great equalizer.