GeigerRig hydration packs

I ran into these GeigerRig hydration packs at Costco this weekend. Not a regularly stocked item, but a “traveling road show.”

I’ll say right out that they’re pricy. OTOH, this is without a doubt the coolest backpack hydration system I’ve ever seen.

* It’s pressurized so you’ll “never suck again.” (I hate sucking on those things, especially when I’m panting from climbing a hill.) The water squirts. So in addition to drinking, you could use it to spray-cool yourself, clean a wound, wash a utensil, or even squirt the dog or the kids.

* There’s an optional inline water filter to enable you to drink from streams, lakes, or puddles without carrying an extra piece of equipment (filter is rated for cryptosporidium and giardia, not viruses).

* The bladders, which come in 2- and 3-liter size, can be opened, turned inside-out, and even stuck in a dishwasher for easy cleaning — unlike the standard closed bladder where you never know what might be growing inside.

All-in-all, a highly elegant piece of design. Bladders can be bought separately and retrofitted into your existing pack.

Me, I’m going to wait until the knock-offs appear or competition forces the prices down. But if you hike a lot or have to have the very best for your bug-out equipment, this looks like it.

No financial interest on my part. However, GeigerRig prices are way lower on Amazon.com (25-40% better than on the company’s website, sez a quick glance). And if you use the Amazon link in this paragraph, I’ll get the usual commission.

—–

ADDED: Bob Geiger, maker of these beautifully designed hydration packs, has turned up in the comment section to tell about a special offer starting tomorrow and to answer questions. So you might want to check that out.

1. Hiker Dude
    Hiker Dude April 17, 2012 8:54 am

The camelbacks that I have owned were great packs but I have had to throw away a few bladders because they are hard to clean. I can buy a rig 1600 with an inline filter for the same as a similar camelbak. The lower end geigerrigs are more expensive than the camelbak however.

MamaLiberty April 17, 2012 8:58 am

Hmmm, guess I’ll just tote my water bottles a bit longer. 🙂

3. Bob Geiger
    Bob Geiger April 17, 2012 9:25 am

This is Bob Geiger with GEIGERRIG. I was sent this review, and I really appreciate the kind comments about our product. Here are some considerations that may be of interest to you:

1) Tomorrow, we will be launching our High Adventure Mountain Passport. All packs come with thousands of dollars in free activities passes all over the US and Canada. You can get an advanced view of the passport here: http://www.geigerrig.com/passport/index.html. Tomorrow you will be able to visit http://www.freehydrationpacks.com to get a full view of the program. The offers in this book are really quite substantial.

2) We work hard to price our packs competitively with other packs on the market. Camelbak is currently pricing their MULE and HAWG at $130.00 – $150.00. This is more expensive than our packs.

3) If you are interested in some of the other reviews and comments on our product, you can click here: http://www.geigerrig.com/hydration-pack-testimonials.html.

Thank you for your interest in GEIGERRIG and for this kind review of our gear. If you have any questions we’d love to answer them if the folks here at backwoodshome would be so kind as to allow us to participate in the conversation. Thanks again.

4. MJR
    MJR April 17, 2012 9:51 am

I have never been a big fan of the camelback style of water carrier. They look like a cool rig but with an item like this there is always the risk of failure. What happens if the item is dropped or put down hard or, God forbid, you fall on it? Even if the price comes down I guess I still don’t have a lot of trust. As for me, I guess I’m old fashioned. I will keep using my water bottle in a carrier with cup and MSR water filter. With these items I don’t have to carry a lot of water because I can refill on the go.

Claire April 17, 2012 10:02 am

Bob Geiger — How very cool to have you here. 🙂

The friend I went to Costco with bought one of your packs even though she already has a Camelback or something similar. Since I’m not a huge hiker and don’t have a lot of money, paying $100+ for a hydration pack simply isn’t for me. But other readers will see things differently. And I have to stress that I was very, very impressed with what I saw. And I really, really do hate those labor-intensive “sucky packs.”

Yes, please stick around to answer questions anybody has or to tell us more about features or specials. That’s great.

6. Ragnar
    Ragnar April 17, 2012 11:23 am

Just buy boxed wine, I saved the bladders from the wine my ex used to get… it’s funny but they work.

7. Karel
    Karel April 17, 2012 11:25 am

@Geiger or anybody else who knows from experiance, how do the good brands compare and what features make the biggest difference. I use a cheap hardware store pack working around my place and if something goes wrong I can go in the house and swap it for something else so no big deal. Now I’ve got a girlfriend who likes to hike A LOT and I’ll be going on long hikes with her this summer.

I’m going to invest in a good pack now, but what makes a pack good?

8. Matt, another
    Matt, another April 17, 2012 3:56 pm

I have a Camelback M.U.L.E. IMHO, it is not worth anything close to $130.00. I bought mine at a surplus store for about $30.00, what I consider to be about what it is actually worth. Overall I am not a big fan of Camelback style bladder systems, but the Geigerrig does look better than the camelback.

9. jed
    jed April 17, 2012 7:49 pm

Nice find, Claire.

As a CamelBak owner (hydration for longer bike rides, not hiking), I will say that 2 things already have me wanting 1 of these: pressurization, and ease of cleaning where you can really know it’s clean. I wish I could think of a good question for Bob. Sadly, new gear isn’t in the budget right now. But I’ll bookmark it for sure.

10. Jason
    Jason April 17, 2012 10:41 pm

I learned of the company just last week and went to there office/manufacturing building. Met most of the people and have to say, this is a great company and a great bunch of guys! I love my new Rig 700 that I picked up and worked great on my bike ride and hike. These packs are built to last and the bladder system is amazing with the ability to turn inside out to clean and the in line water filter so you can dip in the stream or pond and have clean water on the go. LOVE IT! Already have plans to pick up a couple more packs next week.