Wednesday links

• In the news you can use department: “Situational Awareness” by our own MamaLiberty. Nice work, Mama.
  • Though I’d like to know more of the background of this particular incident, it appears that the War on Food continues to ravage the Country Formerly Known As the Land of the Free. (H/T/ JS)
  • “A Biblical Threat to National Security.” And you plan to persuade Muslims how? that the U.S. military isn’t conducting a holy crusade against them? (Tip o’ hat to J.B.)
  • “Who Destroyed the Middle Class?”
  • Sooooooo, do you think PBS would report this sympathetically if a Caucasian family decided to try to “buy white” for a year? I searched the article and the words “race,” “racist,” or “racism” do not appear. Not even in passing.
  • Jamie Dimon says traders in the JPMorgan unit behind a $2 billion loss had little understanding of the risks they took. Ya think???
  • Here’s your dog-related Awwwww moment of the day. And its one on which you could even help if you want to: a disabled man will walk cross country to raise funds to help his own disabled dog — and others. (In the small-world way of the Internet, the moment this appeared on a list I frequent, one of the long-time listers spoke up to say she knew both man and dog personally and often stopped to scritch the dog outside her office.) UPDATE: He got the help he needed without ever leaving the city of Billings but is still willing to do his cross-country walk to “pay it forward.” Walking for Red Facebook page with updates and cute dog pix for those who indulge.

Finally, have a little nerd-cat humor πŸ™‚

1. David Hammond
    David Hammond June 20, 2012 5:01 am

I think that black family should take their efforts one step further.
    They should only buy or use stuff or technology that was invented
    by the black race, see how far that will get them.

2. water lily
    water lily June 20, 2012 5:14 am

Claire, this is a PSA: Some vet offices use heating pads during surgery. My friend’s dog received 3rd degree burns because they left the heating pad on him too long during dental surgery. Please always ask the vet about this before surgery. There are other types of heating pads that are safer. My old vet used hot water inside exam gloves.

Sorry to go off topic. It’s been a hard week.

Another warning: A second friend’s dog died because someone gave the dog cooked chicken with the bone at a party. The bone perforated the esophagus. After a $9000 surgery (which my friend could not afford-she’s out of work) the dog died two days later. So everyone with dogs, be careful. Not everyone knows how dangerous cooked bones are. I wouldn’t let my dog wander around at a party, but if I did, I think I’d put a big sign on her back “Do not feed.”

Sorry for the off-topic comments. Thanks so much for the links.

3. JS
    JS June 20, 2012 6:37 am

I left a comment on the PBS story. I can’t remember where I read it, but I was inspired earlier this year from someone speaking about this.

When will history come to realize that AMERICA is where slavery came to die?

Throughout the world, slavery had been used in horrifying fashion in culture after culture, for various groups of people. But in America, it came to an end. Black people and White people worked together to form the underground railroad and demand freedom!

I humbly do my best to understand the graveness and seriousness of the atrocities that happened in our past. I do. It’s incredibly shameful to think about.

But when will we celebrate the Americans – not Black or White – but Americans who ended slavery?

Let’s celebrate the country that abolished it! We can grow from that common, positive piece of history.

4. Karel
    Karel June 20, 2012 6:53 am

@JS are you nutz? America isn’t the place where slavery came to die. Civilized countries got rid of slavery decades before we did and they did it without some destructive freedom wrecking war. Uncivilized countries kept slavery after we got rid of it. US is just the only country that had to have a big hurkin war as an excuse.

5. JS
    JS June 20, 2012 7:33 am

Slavery is still is use today. It’s always been in use. Yet, in America, it ended. I don’t know how other countries ended their slavery, nor do I want to compare the methods. I’m sure other places were able to conduct themselves better? I don’t know. But I do know many Americans came together, fought and died to end it here.

6. JS
    JS June 20, 2012 7:34 am

To me, that’s something we can build from.

7. Matt, another
    Matt, another June 20, 2012 7:54 am

I didn’t know my old friends at the Southern Baptist Conference had authorised a new Bible. I guess they figured out they coudn’t get royalties off the KJV 1611 version that many Southern Baptists worship. Guess I don’t get out much anymore.

It was wrong for the military to endorse or license their logos to be used on any kind of bible. Still being run by a bunch of maroons I guess. For my part I’ve never seen one of the military Holmans or even heard them mentioned and I pretty much hang out with military.

8. Scott
    Scott June 20, 2012 9:21 am

Here, it’s perfectly legal to have food gardens-your entire yard if you wish. There’s group doing urban farming-from what I read quite sucessfully-on empty city lots. Each and every city government has its one thing to be hyperanal about-it varies from city to city, anything from painting your house a color(s) the city doesn’t like to owning a Crown Victoria.
    Once in a while, things do come back to haunt those with Authoritah. A few days ago, the local parking police wrote a woman a ticket for putting a quarter in other people’s meters that were about to expire(but hadn’t)..it’s illegal to give someone you don’t know a quarter? The local media got ahold of it, and gave said department a big plateful of public humiliation. Sometimes, you do have to make some noise.

9. Carl-Bear
    Carl-Bear June 20, 2012 10:29 am

I once wrote a book on helium. Boy was my voice squeaky. Did you know there’s a font for that?

MamaLiberty June 20, 2012 10:57 am

Thanks for the boost, Claire! So many people told me I should write something occasionally for PoL… and I really don’t always have time or inspiration, so I decided to post sections of the books I’ve been writing for the last few years, and some re-runs of old articles.

Wait until you read the story with psychic cats…. [grin] They don’t need thumbs.

The “Situational Awareness” piece is the second article from the booklet I wrote for my handgun and self defense classes. “I Am NOT A Victim” is available free to anyone who sends me an email and requests it. Please indicate word .doc or pdf format. mamaliberty – at – rtconnect.net

11. just waiting
    just waiting June 20, 2012 11:41 am

Mama,

One awareness lesson you might add: When you realize you are in the place that every vehicle in the area with flashing lights is on its way to, that moment is the time to go anywhere else.

12. Samuel Adams
    Samuel Adams June 20, 2012 4:18 pm

And all the reviewers said my book on helium was very uplifting. Except for the one who said it was a lot like an Edgar Rice Burroughs novel.

13. naturegirl
    naturegirl June 21, 2012 2:12 am

That is a great article, Mama….I like how you took it that last step: to the “deal with it” – “be prepared to act” stage……

Having spent the past over-2 years on and off the streets, sometimes my only entertainment is watching how oblivious people are to their surroundings and potential situations…..And there are still quite a few stupid people out there, who should know better –

Mothers who take their kids to the park and become so engrossed in their books they don’t see how close their kids get to that creepy guy that I (a bigger adult) wouldn’t get within 10 feet of.

8 out of 10 people still don’t shut off their car when running into a convenience store, and the 2 who do – still don’t lock it.

The man or woman who come running down the 2 flights of stairs outside of an apartment complex and proceed at the same speed around the corner at the bottom. Never looking, never slowing down, to consider what might be under the stairs or to either side.

The 4 women spilling out of a bar, all loud and drunk (or pretending to be), and stagger down the street or towards some vehicle. Completely bashing the safety in numbers theory, since none of them are coherent enough to respond to a problem.

The group of women standing outside a store/cafe/wherever all chatting, with their backs to the street/sidewalk/crowd. Never noticing the 3 thugs coming towards them.

The current fashion of big purses that usually are always open and carried towards the back – just scream “go for it.”

The majority of people who still load the groceries in their cars before their kids and/or purses.

The Good Samaritans who try to help out in a crisis but lack the skills to handle it properly.

The usual millions of people talking on their cells or ears plugged up with music as they walk down the street. Men are just as guilty when it comes to those two attention stealers.

How people react inside a store who’s electricity goes off is actually bizarre to watch.

I could go on for hours with examples, LOL..

I’ve noticed there’s usually 2 types of responses to immediate trouble: 1. Freezing, either to scared to act or too busy thinking about what to do. 2. Running like hell, usually into people and off of objects, that result in a bunch getting hurt.

The only thing that amazes me anymore is that there aren’t more bad things happening to people more often.

It should be common sense, but that seems to be lacking just about everywhere lately. It’s as if people expect someone to bail them out when trouble hits (good luck with that). It’s good to be aware, even better if people have a plan (or two or three) on how to handle trouble if it comes near them. That’s the step that saves lives, avoidance helps to begin with, but the times when it’s not possible – ya better have a solid plan (that can be implemented by oneself). Maintain control of that area close enough to touch you.

MamaLiberty June 21, 2012 9:38 am

Thanks, Nature girl and just waiting… here is a previous article called “Accident or Negligence” that deals with the possible consequences of unawareness from a slightly different angle. http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/2011/09/12/editor.html

When is an “accident” merely the consequence of negligent behavior? And who is ultimately responsible?

Mama’s rule: Don’t go stupid places, with stupid people and do stupid things. That would take care of quite a bit of it. πŸ™‚