Thursday links

• Chortle! Pro-gunners use gun buyback program to fund a shooting camp. (Tip o’ hat to PT.)
  • Best explanation yet of the LIBOR scandal and its implications. Or are we suffering too much scandal fatigue to care?
  • Here’s James Howard Kunstler’s take: “All this points to a dangerous new period of political history, a deadly Hobbesian scramble to evade the falling timber in a burning house as the rudiments of a worldwide social contract go up in flames.” Agree or not, the man writes like a demon.
  • Yet another reason to avoid airports.
  • I am not delusional enough.
  • Talk about local farming!
  • MamaLiberty’s interactive defensive drills, for groups and individuals.
  • Well now. That’s one way to make sure your drones don’t kill any innocents: just redefine all the dead as guilty. Voila! You see, that’s why you and I aren’t in charge. Because we just aren’t smart enough to figure out things like that.

1. Jim B.
    Jim B. July 12, 2012 9:02 am

Perhaps you need to be crazy in order to stay sane in today’s world.

2. KenK
    KenK July 12, 2012 9:20 am

That Kuntsler is right on the edge. He leans all the way over the line between normal and gonzo without actually going over it. And that’s not easy. A pleasure to read.

3. Mic
    Mic July 12, 2012 12:54 pm

So I am wondering about this new laser gizmo the government thugs will soon be employing. What happens if you happen to be an active gun enthusiast who shoots a lot or is a competitive shooter and you go to the airport. I am reasonably sure “gun residue” can be found on some part of my body or clothes all the time no matter what the heck I am wearing and regardless of my showering habits. The bottom line is a shoot a lot. So do I automatically go to jail for that?

4. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal July 12, 2012 3:08 pm

No, Mic. You find some way to “contaminate” everyone with the same residue. 😉

5. Matt, another
    Matt, another July 12, 2012 3:25 pm

Lasers are cool, but the still have to have line of sight and have to be relatively tightly focused to get quality feedback. If you lase a group of people at 160feet, it would have to be an unobstructed line of sight and then if you get positive feed back you would have to go to a more invasive search to determine who in the group set it off. More security theater to sell to the gullible.

6. jed
    jed July 12, 2012 3:30 pm

I try to keep up with Zerohedge, but a lot of those articles leave me thinking, “I need that in Captain dummy talk, Kaylee.”

7. Ellendra
    Ellendra July 13, 2012 10:45 am

They have a laser scanner that can detect hormone levels, but the doctor always requires a full vial of blood (or several) to test the same thing?

Claire July 13, 2012 11:10 am

FWIW, I’m with the folks who think that the capabilities of the new laser device are being ever-so-slightly exaggerated to impress the rubes. Look for these things either to be stuck in a warehouse somewhere until they become obsolete or be put into use and cause absolutely no end of trouble with bogus readings.