- Can you fix a scratched DVD with a banana? Inquiring minds want to know.
- Oleg Volk doesn’t approve of the fixation on great marksmanship.
- Life in Uruguay. I think I could get used to it. Always has kind of struck me as “Switzerland south,” but cheaper.
- The Flagstaff, AZ, cop who committed one of the most prolonged and barbaric puppycides has resigned.
- It may be news to the Wall Street Journal that overseas banks, including the famous Swiss banks are tossing American clients out with the trash. But some readers hereabouts know it all too well. From first-hand experience. At least the WSJ has noticed that’s one reason so many Americans are giving up U.S. citizenship. Once a great boon, that blue passport is becoming a burden to many.
- Travis Corcoran of “I Am TJIC!” infamy is writing his first novel, with overtones of The Probability Broach and The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress. He’s started posting little teaser bits of it as he re-drafts. It has intelligent dogs. What’s not to like?
- Speaking of books, David Young, who’s written a couple and is working on another, has a thing or two to say about the future of ebook distribution and the Death of Amazon. I don’t want to see Amazon die (and I think predictions of its death are way premature. But competition? Now, that’s good.
Pop Quiz: Can you identify this object?
The winner gets … well, the great satisfaction of being right. The losers get …