1. Matt, another
    Matt, another May 8, 2013 2:44 pm

The secret to her long life is probably the joy eating brings her. She could also be eating it with garden fresh vegetables and greens on the side. Hmmm, bacon with a side of greens….

2. ENthePeasant
    ENthePeasant May 8, 2013 3:22 pm

There’s a little place about 40 miles from me Named Ferrarese’s Deli. It has the best local Apple wood Smoked Bacon BLTs I’ve ever had. They use garden fresh tomatoes sliced about 5/8s of an inch thick (the most tasty tomatoes ever), and different lettuces also garden fresh (but NEVER iceberg lettuce) on freshly baked Chiabatta Bread. This bacon is good for you. God his own self eats a BLT there every Wednesday (he always gets a table no matter how busy). And to paraphrase; if eating bacon’s wrong, I don’t want to be right.

3. Water Lily
    Water Lily May 8, 2013 4:13 pm

Anyone who says they hate bacon is lying or has never tasted it. πŸ™‚

We love our delicious bacon we get from a local farmer.

I’ve been thinking of making those Paleo chocolate bacon cookies…hmm…

4. IndividualAudienceMember
    IndividualAudienceMember May 8, 2013 10:45 pm

Was her bacon nitrate free?
    Or was it all regular store bought?

5. ENthePeasant
    ENthePeasant May 8, 2013 11:24 pm

Those sound interesting, Lily. May have to give them a try.

6. winston
    winston May 9, 2013 1:30 am

I used to eat damn near half a pound every single morning and it helped me get in the best shape of my life…

7. winston
    winston May 9, 2013 1:31 am

And it was Aldi brand bacon with EXTRA nitrates

8. Todd
    Todd May 9, 2013 5:31 am

The myth that fat makes us fat was started in the 50s and encouraged by the USDA and our Industrial Food Machine. I’ve found the Primal/Paleo lifestyle to be most liberating and heathy for the past three years. If nothing else, it’s fun eating the opposite of what the USDA food pyramid recommends πŸ™‚

9. Bonnie
    Bonnie May 9, 2013 11:04 am

Todd wrote “If nothing else, it’s fun eating the opposite of what the USDA food pyramid recommends :)”

Amen to that! As long as I eat natural fats, 2 eggs every day, meat, a big salad & other greens, I lose weight. As soon as I eat so-called “good” carbs, I fall off the diet & gain weight. And much faster than I lost it. πŸ™

10. A.G.
    A.G. May 9, 2013 4:16 pm

We need to pay attention to our elders, and what they have to teach.

11. IndividualAudienceMember
    IndividualAudienceMember May 9, 2013 7:36 pm

“Aldi brand bacon with EXTRA nitrates” … Well, I’ll be.
    You know this for a fact, winston?

Nitrates have other, ah-hem, effects on males. So I’ll continue to pass on nitrates, but maybe not so vigorously?

12. winston
    winston May 10, 2013 2:07 am

No, I was being facetious about it having extra nitrates, but it was some pretty cheap bacon.

I was doing strength training at the time with a goal of gaining mass- I wasn’t all that concerned about cholesterol, trans-fats, all that fun stuff. I
    spent months eating all sorts of fried stuff, dairy products, probably a dozen eggs a day, ranch on almost everything… the results were great although it depended on a lot of hard work and me being 19 at the time with an outlandish metabolism. (if you’re older I’m sure you could reproduce that with preformance drugs, not that I would ever advocate anything like that πŸ˜‰

(I do always try to avoid soy products though as it’s been proven to reliably raise estrogen in the body. No good.)

13. William Flatt
    William Flatt May 10, 2013 11:07 am

Based on the reading I have done, it’s probably not the bacon itself but the fact that she’s eating lots of meat and meat doesn’t have carbohydrates. However, she probably happens to also have a natural ‘immunity’ to cholesterol.

Fatty greasy foods are not necessarily good for you, and someone else may eat the same diet she does and drop dead at 50.

And for those of us who adhere to the Bible prohibition on eating anything piggy (whether you’re Jewish or a 7th-Day Adventist Christian), I think the idea of eating meat can work if you stick to beef. I love beef jerky; it’s relatively lean and goes great with greens just as well. Or greens served up with a juicy New York Strip and sauteed mushrooms & onions…

Excuse me, I just made myself hungry, time to go get some jerky.

14. Laird
    Laird May 11, 2013 9:21 am

William, I make jerky out of ground turkey. Tastes just about as good as beef (the seasonings matter more than the meat) and it’s lower in fat.