Weekend links

Via Borepatch:

bettercaptcha

1. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau July 21, 2013 7:50 am

About that official thuggery, I am reminded of the infamous one in UC Davis California, where that fat pig sprayed pepper spray on a bunch of sitting protesters. If you watch the whole thing, you see the police beating a retreat after the crowd starts shouting, “Shame on you!”

What needs to happen with these events like what happened to the Florida nurse is a “shame on you” campaign. Writing to the papers, going to events denouncing police, that sort of thing. Also everyone in that apartment complex and every other place raided like that ought to be plastered with literature saying how evil this event was and questioning the legitimacy of it.

A neighbor or relative ought to loan Zimmerman a gun until he gets his back. It would be fun to gin up an internet gun donation campaign, wouldn’t it? Zimmerman getting a donation of 300 guns from anonymous donors? It would be a hoot. I’m sure I could spare one of my older guns for this.

2. David T
    David T July 21, 2013 9:43 am

Sadly the fed-gov has the power to open an investigation into Zimmerman, and to order that all evidence, including his gun be held, or even turned over to the feds, there is even a variety of actions that the feds (or your local PD/DA for that matter) that , while short of actually charging you with a crime, would make it illegal for you to possess a gun.

Zimmerman or any member of his family could be taken to jail indefinitely, as a material witness, or the feds could convene a grand jury and compel Zimmerman or any one else he knows to testify, if they refuse, or the U.S. Attorney claims they are refusing, they could be jailed on contempt charges.

Some will put this on Holder, or Obama, and yes they are using these laws, but they didn’t create this system, everyone who voted for politicians who were for the “war on terror” the “war on drugs” or any other “get tough on crime” is to blame, because in the end, the criminal justice system has nothing to do with criminals, or justice, but instead is to show who’s boss.

The irony in this is that Zimmerman was stupid enough to buy into this garbage, he believed in an us vs them view put forward by the government types, but Zimmerman thought he was one of them, he seems to have learned the hard way that he had more in common with martin than he ever did with any cop.

3. Jim B.
    Jim B. July 21, 2013 9:52 am

Zimmerman? Learned? First the guy wanted to be a cop, now he wants to be a lawyer. If he’s learning, it’s the wrong things.

As for the stop, drop, and cower brochure, I wonder when they’re going to distribute them? I wouldn’t put it past them to not do it for real. Especially not after the Nurse’s home raid.

4. David T
    David T July 21, 2013 9:58 am

Fair enough Jim B, you’re sadly correct, Zimmerman learned nothing.

5. KenK
    KenK July 21, 2013 10:57 am

The older lady’s drum solo was pretty good. Was she trying out for a gig or having fun at the music store?

6. PrePressVeteran
    PrePressVeteran July 21, 2013 11:03 am

Stop Drop and Cower gives me all kinds of fun subversive ideas. Wonder how dangerous they would be?

7. ENthePeasant
    ENthePeasant July 21, 2013 11:30 am

Having a professional musician in the family, and a drummer in particular, you need to understand that “Granny” is only 35.

Claire July 21, 2013 11:48 am

EN — LOL! And yeah. Keith Moon, Dennis Wilson, John Bonham …

Drummer years are sort of like dog years, I guess.

9. SickOfItAll
    SickOfItAll July 21, 2013 12:34 pm

Eff Zimmerman, and anyone else who thinks this idiot vigilante should get his gun back. The irony of folks boohissing the government thugs and then lamenting that an armed vigilante who stalked an unarmed teen and subsequently killed him can’t get his gun back is too rich — I daresay that it’s downright kooky!

All the gun-nuttery seems to be getting us nowhere; I can see the point of having a gun for protection against someone equally-equipped or not, but the idea of defending yourself against paramilitary shock-and-awe troops is laughable. Didn’t work out too well for Ms. Nurse and her boyfriend, did it?

I agree that this country is in some real dire straits, but it’s going to take more to get us out of this mess than just hunkering down in our hidey-holes and keeping our powder dry — 1775 was a long time ago, and things are WAY different now.

10. hanza
    hanza July 21, 2013 7:34 pm

@SickOfItAll: Zimmerman wasn’t a vigilante, and didn’t “stalk” Trayvon.

On the item about the nurse in Florida. Based on the info about her behavior she shouldn’t own a firearm because she lost self control, and became a basket case.

11. Matt, another
    Matt, another July 21, 2013 9:15 pm

@sickofitall, Zimmerman was charged, tried and acquitted. Legally he is free to go. Any further action on the part of the govt will be harassment and probably racist. Zimmerman has as much right to bear arms for his defense as anybody.

Individuals can’t defend themselves against paramilitary stormtroopers? Probably right, since seldom are they prepared for an attack that comes with no warning. The stormtroopers are also ahead of the game because they send 20-30 against one or two people and seldom attack in the truly bad parts of town. First them they hit real resistance, it will be a game changer.

12. IndividualAudienceMember
    IndividualAudienceMember July 21, 2013 10:31 pm

Jim B. wrote, “now he wants to be a lawyer. If he’s learning, it’s the wrong things.”

Hmm, do you suppose it’s ok if he wants to be a defender as opposed to a prosecutor?

I have no love of lawyers, but a defender seems like it might be ok.

Anyway, I have to go now, I have to “Stop, Drop, and Cower.” [HA!] It seems I can’t spel thier, or yur, so any idea I have to convey even tho I cain’t spell is meaningless, having dun so on tha Internet I must be boot scootin’ ta avoid the goons who lord over us. Ta ta.

13. ILTim
    ILTim July 22, 2013 8:24 am

Where o where did Kim DuToit disappear to? I think he’d be the man to add a sister column to his Dead Goblin Count and publicize these Acts of Domestic Terrorism. We could then pursue removal of (and possible NDAA imprisonment), of nearly every single human employed directly or indirectly by the government.

According to Wikipedia there was a 1994 FBI memo in which Domestic Terror is defined as “the unlawful use of force or violence, committed by a group(s) of two or more individuals, against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a [person or group], in furtherance of political or social objectives.”

14. Shel
    Shel July 22, 2013 6:44 pm

Since there’s so much discussion about Zimmerman, I might as well reference this excellent summary: http://www.michaelyon-online.com/race-baiting-and-lies-in-america.htm

Regarding lawyers, my personal opinion is they are somewhat like guns, neither innately good nor bad. My experience with a number of professions and blue collar types leads me to believe that, with the exceptions of politicians and used car salesmen, they all have a roughly similar percentage of decent and indecent folks. Zimmerman had to be impressed with his attorney – I certainly am – for standing up against huge odds and winning.

As for the nurse, I personally wouldn’t be terribly hard on her, since she obviously has had no training and was totally unprepared emotionally for her situation. Perhaps with training she could have done much better.

15. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau July 24, 2013 6:22 am

Er, is something bad about vigilantes?

16. The Infamous Oregon Lawhobbit
    The Infamous Oregon Lawhobbit July 24, 2013 2:18 pm

Paul – ever watch Hang ’em High with Clint Eastwood?