Monday links

• Mark Steyn on America as a banana republic.
  • Political views mess up your ability to do math. Probably other things, too. Fascinating study but not surprising. Another example of confirmation bias in action.
  • Do you get junk emails from your acquaintances urging you to connect with them on LinkedIn? I used to get a fair number of those and thought, “Wow, for people who supposedly know me, these guys are sure idiots.” Like I’m ever going to join LinkedIn. Like I think it’s just wonderful for acquaintances to give my address to all and sundry. Then I got a fervently apologetic email from one of those folks saying that he hadn’t sent or authorized the emails and that LinkedIn had hacked his address book. Seems there’s now a lawsuit on that. Seems also that LinkedIn doesn’t really “hack” its users; it’s just reaaaallly, realllly fuzzy in the way it gets users’ “permission” to spam everybody they know.
  • The New! Improved! iPhone 5 — NSA version!
  • Okay, that was funny. This is not. It appears that somebody has already hacked the much-vaunted fingerprint scanner on those new iPhones. World record?
  • Also not funny. Creepy. But sort of funny, too. Radio? You want to take over radio stations? That is so twentieth century!
  • One way to keep the secret police out of your computer? And another? Whether these are good ideas or not, I can’t say. Can only say that the greatest enemy of the surveillance state is … ticked-off technoids. And maybe other governments.
  • One more reason to cut carbs. Well, depending on your proclivities, maybe it’s a reason to eat more of them. In either case: News of the Weird.

1. water lily
    water lily September 23, 2013 4:55 am

Loved the iphone NSA version video. I think we’ll hold on to our old Nokia dumb phones for as long as we can. I won an ipad mini in a contest, and it sits in a box in my closet. I use it only when we travel to check the weather and find places to eat. I have the oldest Kindle version with the keypad. I do have a fairly new laptop, though. I guess we’re semi-Luddites, but I don’t mind. I just cannot relate to people camping out in front of a store to buy a…phone. Reminds me of those lines in the USSR. Except they were waiting for bread, or shoes.

Pat September 23, 2013 6:00 am

“I eat low carb Primal most of the time. If I end up eating a lot of carbs in one day, I don’t get drunk, but I have a hard time staying awake, and end up feeling blah the next day.”

Same here. In addition I have fibromyalgia which is made worse by eating yeast, gluten, and additives such as MSG and nitrates, so good whole food is all I can tolerate comfortably. (Not that that’s a problem, it tastes better anyway.)

Re the LinkedIn problem: have never been sure if/how an address book works. I don’t have a Contact List/Address Book and I don’t ask my email to save my addresses – but have reached a point where I don’t trust my computer (not even Linux) to keep its “OS brain” off of anything.

3. Matt, another
    Matt, another September 23, 2013 7:55 am

That issue with carbs has been known for a couple of decades. I remember reading an article about it in, I think, Readers Digest in the late 70’s early 80’s. If I carb load I have a tendency to pass out like a drunk. I won’t be drunk per se, but the effect will to be fall asleep to the point of being out for a couple of hours in the recliner. Scares the crap out of my wife. So, I have given up heavy carbs and large amounts of any other carbs and stay away from anything with lots of refined sugar. I gave up drinking beer too. I also don’t drive after thanksgiving or christmas dinner.

4. Scott
    Scott September 23, 2013 9:18 am

That which has been created can be hacked or copied-no exceptions.

Claire September 23, 2013 10:55 am

REW — I was ready to go into alarm mode when I checked that URL you posted. But when I began researching, the only sites reporting that as “news” were highly dubious ones like InfoWars. A little further poking revealed that that virus.org site contains an old ‘Net hoax:

Still … given what we know of NSA/FBI/DHS/ETC proclivities, I won’t be at all surprised if it becomes a reality in coming years.

6. LarryA
    LarryA September 23, 2013 2:14 pm

Life was a lot simpler before my gadgets were intelligent.

7. Dick
    Dick September 23, 2013 4:00 pm

yep been screwed by LinkedIn before. And I’ve been in IT for 20 years and a computer geek for over 35. All it takes is one slip up and bam, your contact list is stolen.

8. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau September 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Thanks for that Mother Jones link. Looks like preppers ought to get into the mesh network concept.