Thursday nooz & links

… also general tab clearing

• The specific, state-by-state insurance cost increases coming to you courtesy of Obamacare. (Not all states are listed; some, like mine, that have already made insurance unaffordable will see less impact.)
  • “That’s not autism!” A touch of sanity. (Personal note: I have one severely autistic relative who cannot function in the world. I have another who is your basic typical introverted, socially non-adept geek who would today be diagnosed with Aspergers, though he is a fully — if quirkily — functioning person. “Autism spectrum” doesn’t begin to put these two meaningfully into the same category.)
  • Ten famous psychological experiments that could never be done today.
  • The story of Ain’t. Logophiles take note! (P.S. The book that inspired the article is on Amazon.)
  • “The Great Marijuana Crash of 2011.” Detailed story about Colorado’s gradual legalization process and how opening the markets affected prices.
  • Ugh. Looks as if the nation’s premier anti-gunner and nanny-stater has his eye on national office. Oh well. It’ll be fun watching him get his arse whupped everywhere outside of NYC. (ADDED: Oops. This article is “So 2010!” as LarryA pointed out in comments. I just realized I used the wrong link and now I can’t find the newer one. I’m sure Bloomy still has his eye on national office, but if so, he’s had it there for a long, long time!)
  • A moving story from MamaLiberty.

1. Steve in Colorado
    Steve in Colorado September 26, 2013 7:52 am

I remember reading about another psychological study done in the military in the late 40’s or early 50’s. Several squads of soldiers were taken up in a plane and it started having fake engine trouble. Some researchers posing as officers (or some other role) told the GI’s that the plane was about to crash and everybody would die. They passed out papers to fill out that would be put in a crash proof box. Along with letters to loved ones there were some questionnaires to fill out. Once the paperwork was done the engines started working and they landed. I’ll bet the soldiers had no ammo for any guns.

MamaLiberty September 26, 2013 8:35 am

Thanks for the link, Claire. I hope everyone will also read the follow up piece.
    The Valley of the Shadow of Death

There are things you can and should do to avoid the fate of Mrs. S. No gurantees, of course, especially in this age of Obummercare, but if you don’t take steps now, while you are healthy, you will not have any choice – and neither will those who love you. Find and nurture a trustworthy advocate now.

3. Jim B.
    Jim B. September 26, 2013 8:51 am

Speaking of the famous Gun Controller, I’m surprised you didn’t mention the recent U.N. Treaty that Obama got Kerry to sign for the U.S. even though the Senate said “No!”

Claire September 26, 2013 9:01 am

Jim B. — Yes, the rest of the gunblogosphere has been covering that one like mad. I didn’t mention it because a) it was no surprise that the Agents of Evil signed it and b) the signature means nothing as long as the Senate says “no” (which they haven’t done yet, but probably will). Now, if the Senate seriously tries to ratify the treaty, that’ll be a show worth watching. But I see all Rs and many moderate Ds running like hell from that thing.

5. naturegirl
    naturegirl September 26, 2013 2:35 pm

Mama Liberty’s story touches on all the remaining fears I have right now. If I ever get into a situation where those freedoms are taken or diminished, I’d rather be dead. I have all the forms and terms in writing, but it’s not so easy finding that “trusted advocate” as one might think.

6. LarryA
    LarryA September 26, 2013 3:46 pm

My reporter wife got the official Obamacare announcement of selected (carefully selected) prices. It was all chipper, “The prices are less than predicted! OMG!” PR fluff.

Meanwhile her carefully-selected health plan is being replaced because TPTB think it doesn’t cover enough. Apparently we still need coverage for pregnancy and such.

BTW, the Bloomberg story is so 2010.

Claire September 26, 2013 4:45 pm

Re Bloomberg — OMG! It is. How embarrassing …

8. Betsey
    Betsey September 26, 2013 6:27 pm

Wouldn’t you know that I live in Nebraska!

Do you remember when Ben Nelson tried to sneak a deal for Nebraska and people here rose up against him? I am no fan of his (nor any politician), but I wonder if people here regret that.
    Claire, your posts are a daily read for me. I learn so much from you and the rest of the group here. I bought your outlaw book from BHM and now include a chapter a day with my daily devotions. Are you surprised that your book is read with the Bible? LOL.

9. naturegirl
    naturegirl September 26, 2013 6:59 pm

Just finished reading Mama Liberty’s follow up post. Only wanted to add that aside from all the proper paperwork in all the proper hands, something else to think about is something actually on the person. In a sudden accident situation they may not know otherwise without something attached to the person. I discovered not long ago that there are multiple alerts that can be used on jewelry – DNR is commonly known as Do Not Resuscitate; DNAR implies Do Not Attempt Resuscitation; there’s also AND (Allow Natural Death). Purses, backpacks and wallets don’t always accompany (or are immediately checked) an injured person after accidents happen.

I really hope Obamacare is stopped somehow. Scares the crap out of me for many reasons.

10. Jim B.
    Jim B. September 26, 2013 7:57 pm

Obamacare will be stopped by its spectacular failure, as designed. To pave the way for a true One Payer System that TPTB wants so much, copied from the Europeans. You know, the same Europeans and their systems that our ancestors tried to get away from in the first place?

MamaLiberty September 27, 2013 6:09 am

Naturegirl, indeed. That’s a real problem. I don’t know that there is a good answer for everyone. Somehow, a tattoo on my chest saying “NO CPR” doesn’t appeal to me.

And nothing would help a lot unless those assisting or responding LOOK for such direction. In an emergency situation, jewelry and such clues might easily be overlooked or ignored. And there is a horrid tangle of “laws” and regulations that limit how much an EMT or nurse can do about it anyway.

There are no guarantees things will be done right, obviously. But we pretty much guarantee a very poor outcome if we don’t do anything.

12. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau September 27, 2013 8:58 am

Claire, thanks for that link, “That’s not autism”. I sent it to my wife who worries about our son a bit too much. His only crime is being male. 🙂

From that marijuana article:
    “Beginning next year, anyone with an I.D. can waltz into a marijuana dispensary, put $50 on the counter, and announce to the clerk that he’d like one eighth of an ounce of marijuana.”

Wow, talk about inflation. When I was in the Marine Corps we used to pay $10 per ounce. I remember walking down the squad bays during guard duty with a .45 on my hip, calling out “Hash, $5 a gram!” A friend and I bought an ounce of hashish, split it into grams to sell (paying for our cost) and smoking up the surplus. It’s a wonder people in Colorado don’t just grow their own. $3500 a pound for something that grows anywhere sounds insane to me.

BTW the article claimed, “It has taken an illegal product and legitimized it in the eyes of the government… The last time something similar happened, 96.5% of the United States population hadn’t even been born yet.”

Not so. How about Oregon’s legalization of microbreweries, not so long ago? A fairly similar sort of thing. Now microbrew is available in lots of states. I don’t know if Oregon was first though.

13. Jim B.
    Jim B. September 27, 2013 9:58 am

With legalization, I think we lost something. Use to be people had a smidgen of the spirit of liberty when they made something illegal to drink or buy. Now people no longer get that “thrill”. Also when something was illegal, they couldn’t tax it.

Also also the power to tax is also the power to destroy.

14. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau September 27, 2013 2:39 pm

Oh, that’s certainly true. But nothing says you have to stay in the regulated market. I’m sure one can find laws to break out there, if one really sets his mind to it. 😉