Happy Valentines Day

You probably thought it was just hearts, flowers, mushy-mush, and (for the guys) excruciating pressure to be romantic when you’d rather be changing the oil in your car.

But nope. Turns out it’s forbidden, immoral, vulgar, profane, the subject of conspiracy theories, and likely to be the ruination of generations yet unborn. It’s also hush-hush, empowering, inspirational, rebellious, and possibly even a sign of a quiet revolution. In some parts of the world.

Outlaws should enjoy all of the above. Happy Valentines Day.

1. RickB
    RickB February 14, 2014 3:20 am

Valentine’s Day is an evil conspiracy to undermine Muslim values. It’s against the law!
    But the law isn’t enforced. And…girls going to university in a Muslim country?
    It’s pretty obvious what’s going on here.
    The Mullahs rule society. But the wives and daughters rule the Mullahs!

2. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal February 14, 2014 7:42 am

It’s a very uncomfortable day in my “closed, non-relationship”. I’d prefer to hide.

3. LarryA
    LarryA February 14, 2014 8:35 am

Nope. I’m celebrating my 44th Valentine’s Day with my wife, so it’s flowers, chocolate cake, and dinner out. Romantic to the max.

4. A.G.
    A.G. February 14, 2014 8:51 am

I got up, gave my wife 5 qts of 10-30 wrapped in a red and white Target bag (square knot on top, tied it msself!), belched and then went back to bed.

5. A.G.
    A.G. February 14, 2014 10:23 am

Just yelled at her to bring me my third breakast beer in bed. She brought it in a cup, warm. Said something about it being a heavy dark brew, like Guiness. Not too sure if I like it, but I know I don’t like the way she’s watching me as I drink it.

6. revjen45
    revjen45 February 14, 2014 10:29 am

My beloved gave me a pan of home baked shortbread. She is indeed a jewel!

7. A.G.
    A.G. February 14, 2014 10:46 am

Ugh. Not feeling well AT ALL. Musta passed out for a bit or something. Woke up with terrible pangs in my gut. Where is she? The house isn’t usually this quiet. Tried calling her, but couldn’t find my cell phone. Coulda sworn I had it here bedside, right next to my pistol.

Wait.

MY GLOCK IS MISSING TOO! Man is she gonna get it when she gets back. I’ll get up and holler for her in a bit, when the feeling comes back into my legs. All this typing is exhausting. So tiRed all the suden. Ill che ck in aftr wak

Claire February 14, 2014 11:10 am

πŸ™‚

Eagerly awaiting the rest of the soap opera. πŸ™‚ I’d send the cavalry to your rescue, but this is much more fun.

Claire February 14, 2014 11:52 am

LarryA — BIG congratulations. Enjoy your long-running romance!

10. D.G.
    D.G. February 14, 2014 12:03 pm

This is A.G.’S wife.

He’s fine now.

Everything’s fine.

Best Valentine’s Day ever.

Claire February 14, 2014 12:10 pm

Good to hear from you, D.G. I trust you … er, handled the situation with loving care.

BTW, I have some fantastic tips for getting bloodstains out of pillowcases. Just let me know if you want them. πŸ˜‰

12. naturegirl
    naturegirl February 14, 2014 2:00 pm

LOL, thanks for the smile A.G. and D.G., on the most despicable day of the year. Unfortunately I have to like Valentines Day cuz it’s great for the flower/gift career….but jeesh…..

Claire February 14, 2014 2:56 pm

Pretty funny, Shel. Thanks.

naturegirl — Most despicable day of the year, eh? Hm. Hadn’t thought of it that way, but I sure am seeing a lot of disgruntled people today on the forums I visit.

Oh. And if anybody wonders … I hear in real life A.G. adores D.G. and treats her like a queen.

14. Matt, another
    Matt, another February 14, 2014 4:02 pm

Not such a bad day. Got up, headed to my Moms house. Picked up my derelict best friend on the way. Met my Dad and cousin and was pouring cement by 0830. Had to start early to beat the heat. Nothing says I Love You like cement work for Mom.

15. Bear
    Bear February 14, 2014 4:20 pm

Valentines Day… Bah, humbug.

16. Matt, another
    Matt, another February 14, 2014 7:42 pm

I did celebrate AZ statehood day though.

17. Hanza
    Hanza February 15, 2014 6:12 am

14 February is also Oregon statehood day.

18. AZCoyote
    AZCoyote February 15, 2014 10:45 am

Valentine’s Day–what a waste. My cat didn’t get me anything, not even a dead mouse!! Oh, yeah, statehood day. My daily fish wrap didn’t even mention it.

19. Ellendra
    Ellendra February 15, 2014 11:44 pm

I spent the evening with Sherlock, and even he was more of a jerk than usual.

Claire February 16, 2014 7:45 am

“Evening with Sherlock.” LOL, yeah. Isn’t he the most wonderful jerk, though?

(Looking forward to watching season 3, despite hearing vaguely ominous things about that final episode.)

21. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau February 16, 2014 8:24 am

Thanks for that link about Pakistanis. People just wanna be free, imagine that!

22. Ellendra
    Ellendra February 16, 2014 3:35 pm

“Looking forward to watching season 3, despite hearing vaguely ominous things about that final episode.”

I haven’t gotten to that episode yet, but my copy of season 3 arrived on Valentine’s Day. In the Empty Hearse episode, I was ready to slug the guy right through the screen.

Which is a little unnerving considering that half the reason I started watching that series was so I could see my own behaviors from the outside. One of my coworkers got me hooked after she observed that Sherlock and I have a lot of personality traits in common. I’m still not sure how to take that.

But he has very nice shoulders when his shirt is off. And that’s the only spoiler I’m giving away πŸ™‚

Claire February 16, 2014 4:50 pm

Ellendra — LOL, no I had no idea Watson’s blog was online. I took a quick look but won’t make a longer visit until I’m sure there won’t be any spoilers.

And double LOL (and very strange) about the likeness between you and Sherlock. Funny, despite the things you’ve said about your own personality, in print you sure don’t come across anything like him.

I understand wanting to slap the guy in the face — and also understand finding him absolutely magnetically attractive, with or without shirt.

24. Ellendra
    Ellendra February 17, 2014 10:40 am

In print, I can self-edit πŸ™‚

On Watson’s blog, you can avoid spoilers by only reading entries with titles you recognize. Each entry is more or less self-contained. It’s funny sometimes to read the comments, which are all supposedly from the characters themselves. Real people aren’t allowed to comment on it.

I seem to fall for the dangerous guys. Skinny dangerous guys more specifically. Ba’al from SG1, Jareth the Goblin King, the 10th Doctor. Ok, that last one isn’t so much a “bad guy” but he’s still brooding and dangerous.

Maybe it’s a good thing I don’t date?

At any rate, the closest I have come so far to finishing anything I’ve ever written, is a Sherlock episode. Which now needs to be drastically rewritten for continuity because I wrote most of it last fall. I haven’t decided yet how to factor in some of the new information.