Weekend links

• Beaded guns. Yes, very, very weird.
  • Cops in Hawaii assert that they really, really, really need that law that allows them, and only them, to have sex with prostitutes.
  • So what exactly did Erdogan think would happen when he tried to ban Twitter? Didn’t somebody say something about “can’t stop the signal”?
  • I see the point. Larry Page would rather leave his billions to Elon Musk than to charity.
  • Dog names (per jed in comments). Belladonna Squishypup. Definitely beats Maggie. Or Max.
  • Okay, now I’ve gotten some fabulous deals at garage sales, yard sales, estate sales, rummage sales, or jumble sales as this article prefers to call them. But I must admit I’ve never just picked up some random little item for … $14,000??? Fourteen thousand dollars? At a junk sale? Are you kidding me? Still, if that’s your idea of a bargain, well, in this case, you’re amazingly correct.

1. R.L. Wurdack
    R.L. Wurdack March 22, 2014 6:23 am

Our Aussie, Sunnidog, is also affectionatly known by and answers to ‘Fuzzibutt.’

2. water lily
    water lily March 22, 2014 6:43 am

Can’t stop the signal – Isn’t that from Firefly? ๐Ÿ˜€

Regarding dog names: I know someone who named their dog shi*head. Yes, the owner was a real shi*head.
    There’s a dog in my current novel and her name is Arwen. One of my relatives has a dog named Gandalf. I know someone who has dogs named Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn, and another friend’s dog is named Miles Davis. ๐Ÿ™‚ My friend from Germany has a great dog. His name is Heini. She wasn’t aware that his name is American slang for something else until she heard it on an American TV show. She was mortified. Heini is one of the coolest dogs ever. He goes everywhere with her (Germany allows dogs almost everywhere, apparently) and she photographs all their travel adventures.

Claire March 22, 2014 6:45 am

That’s funny, RL; my Ava (an ADC/BC mix with extravagantly “feathered” haunches and and a long and magnificent tail, gets called Fuzzybuns. ๐Ÿ™‚ )

That is, when she’s not being called “pain in the ass.”

WL — Those names (even Heini — LOL!) are all better than the Maggie-Max-Bear sort of things.

4. jed
    jed March 22, 2014 7:19 am

> I know someone who named their dog shi*head. Yes, the owner was a real shi*head.

The Jerk – Navin’s dog

5. Shel
    Shel March 22, 2014 9:05 am

I’m not sure how weird the beaded guns are. Guns show up here, especially in our Western art, and beads are just an art form they happen to use. I kind of think it’s healthy, as it could well represent individual empowerment (i.e., living freedom, or something like that).

I’ve never used Twitter. After watching the popularity contest BHO and Ellen Degenerate have been having on it, I can understand Erdogan’s sentiments.

I agree that donating to the right corporation might be a good thing, if one has enough money to make a difference (let me check my pants pockets). A friend recently spontaneously, and very animatedly, told me about why he believes the Tesla is an excellent vehicle. http://www.teslamotors.com/ It has a great safety record, the only maintenance it needs is on the brakes, and is so smooth riding that he got carsick just by being in the back seat. He said all the bad press is from the government, which won’t receive any money from gasoline taxes. At one press conference, he told me, the owner was confronted with the “fact” that George Clooney had said the car was “nothing special.” The response, given with an apparent shoulder shrug, was “It’s George Clooney!”

The owner’s plan to populate Mars may not be off the wall. Back in the ’70’s there was a book, Alternative 003 http://www.amazon.com/Alternative-003-3-Leslie-Watkins/dp/0380446774/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395489532&sr=1-1&keywords=alternative+three It professes there is a plan to populate other bodies, starting with the moon, which it claimed was already happening. This would protect the elite, it explained, in the event Earth became uninhabitable perhaps as a result of a nuclear war. While there have been numerous skeptics about our moon landing http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=we%20never%20went%20to%20the%20moon the book claims it was staged as a first time event well after the original landing and that construction of an inhabitable area had already been accomplished. I don’t know because, not surprisingly, no one has ever asked me if I were interested.

6. water lily
    water lily March 22, 2014 9:22 am

Ah, I see. I guess it wasn’t an original idea, then, calling a dog sh*thead.

Fuzzybuns is cute! I sometimes call my dog punky-monkey. I have no idea why, but it seems to fit her at times.

7. Jim B.
    Jim B. March 22, 2014 11:16 am

Kinda surprised no one brought up the fact that those beaded guns and ammo were made to bring awareness and support for GUN CONTROL. Yes, they kinda look cool, but the intention is for gun control.

As for Elon Musk? Obviously he wanted his inheritance to truly make a difference for humanity. If these guys can make those companies successful that did makes such differences for humanity, that would be quite a punch.

8. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal March 22, 2014 11:30 am

I’m not sure why anyone is surprised that cops claim they need to be exempted from the “laws” against prostitution- they claim they are exempted from just about every other “law” already. They carry guns in schools and other places that ban them; they can lie in court; they can stare at a computer screen while driving (much worse than mere texting and driving); they can murder and claim they thought the other guy had a weapon, or wasn’t kissing their boots fast enough; etc. Saying they “need” to be allowed to have sex with hookers as part of their job is just more of the same. Vermin.

9. naturegirl
    naturegirl March 23, 2014 3:50 am

My first Doberman’s user name was Boo. That irritated his breeder to no end, since he also had a super fancy showdog given name. He grew and grew and really grew – I use to be able to rest my arm on him if he was next to me (I’m 5’6″). Because of his size (he took up a lot of space) he was trained to not show up at the door unless he was called, and I had a few delightful situations where I’d say BOO when I’d see a stranger at the door. The baffled look on their faces changed the second they’d see him.

And I can’t believe that egg is worth so much, and yet was also overlooked so easily. Incredibly ugly, too, LOL.

Claire March 23, 2014 5:41 am

Ellendra — Thanks for caring. The mudslide was nowhere near me. Just looking at the pictures of that monster invading such a peaceful, beautiful spot gives me shivers. The poor people.

I worry about the soggy hill above my house, but fortunately it has stayed in its place. One of my neighbors hasn’t been so lucky. Their house has been hit twice by mudslides from the same hill.

Claire March 23, 2014 5:49 am

naturegirl — I love that your Dobie had a “username.” ๐Ÿ™‚

I agree on the Faberge egg. I used to think Faberge eggs were astonishingly beautiful. Now I just see them as hideous indulgences of uncaring rulers. (I can picture Michelle Obama keeping one by her bedside.) And that jumble-sale egg isn’t even a particularly attractive example.

MamaLiberty March 23, 2014 8:27 am

Just saw the story of the mud slide this morning and wondered if it was anywhere near you. Hope your hill doesn’t slide any more. That is really scary. ๐Ÿ™‚

13. WolfSong
    WolfSong March 23, 2014 11:41 am

I call our pup-a gsd somethingorother cross-Whackadoodle. Her actual name is Daphne, but she comes running, wiggling the whole time, when I call “Whackadoodle-doo, where are you?”

14. Victor Milรกn
    Victor Milรกn March 23, 2014 12:59 pm

So Larry Page wants his money to go the crony capitalist Elon Musk, who gets far more money from the government than any number of poor folks? That, indeed, says a lot about him. Mainly that he’s no friend of either liberty or free markets.

And the notion that “government” somehow opposes the Tesla is simply mistaken, inasmuch as the Tesla would not exist without government subsidy and intervention: not just the money US and state governments pay him so he can sell expensive cars to rich people at a discount, but the monopoly license to sell government-mandated “emissions credits” to other corporations.

Musk’s every enterprise proposal seems calculated to bring more government-granted money and power to him – and bind us all closer to government. That he markets all these things in nerdgasm terms blinds too many of our technophile brethren to the truth: like any crony capitalist, he sees how much more a bigger and more powerful government can do for him.

For freedomistas to continue to obsess that their enemy is “the poor” is as delusional and self-destructive as the Left’s obsession that their enemy is “the rich.”

The powerful, connected rich are the enemy of everyone else.

15. naturegirl
    naturegirl March 23, 2014 1:49 pm

Claire, ๐Ÿ™‚ ….and as for Michelle, I doubt she has only one – they aren’t the type to stop at one of anything. She probably has hoards of em.

And I totally agree with Victor’s last sentence. That goes beyond whatever political party they happen to be; if they have the big money then it goes to their self interests at the detriment of all others.