Tuesday links

1. Curt S
    Curt S March 25, 2014 11:26 am

Re Government customer service….

Some years ago I was a remodeling contractor. The city I lived in has a sales tax…seeing I delt in a survice type business I had to show what I paid in sales taxes on materiel used on my jobs on a yearly basis. I recall one time I was in the tax collectors office and we were going over my paper work when a couple showed up needing help/advice on something they had bought. Seems they had bought some windows in an adjoining state and were going to use them in a home they were building in this state. Well, the windows were faulty, they returned them to the seller and had gotten replacement ones. They did not know if they had to pay additional taxes. Lo and behold, the tax clerk looks at me and says “I don’t know….what do you think?!!!!! Egad…..and they walk among us….

2. LarryA
    LarryA March 25, 2014 1:56 pm

According to the National Catholic Reporter, “a constant theme during the event” was “criticism of the capitalist system, which several speakers called a ‘structure of sin.’”]

What was it Jesus said about “casting stones?” Sounds like the Catholic church needs itself some capitalism.

The Vatican has an office of Interpol? Love to check out the story behind that.

So my wife calls for an appointment to set up her Medicare. The clerk asks her some ID questions then “reminds” her she probably isn’t eligible because she’s not a U.S. citizen. Does she want to hear the exceptions?

(My wife’s maiden name is Adams. She [A] was born in San Antonio and [B] has genealogy back to the frickin Mayflower. She has a U.S. passport and votes in every election.)

So my wife has to get her birth certificate out of the safety deposit box and take it with her to the in-person appointment. The clerk doesn’t even make a copy, just punches maybe three computer keys. “No problem,” the clerk says. “We fix this all the time.”

All the time? Sheesh.

And I still have my original SS card, which plainly states, “FOR SOCIAL SECURITY AND TAX PURPOSES – NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION”

Claire March 25, 2014 1:59 pm

Oh, naturegirl — that was mean! Very funny. But definitely mean.

Claire March 25, 2014 2:38 pm

“And I still have my original SS card, which plainly states, ‘FOR SOCIAL SECURITY AND TAX PURPOSES – NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION'”

Sigh. Yeah, I gots one of those, too.

5. Jim B.
    Jim B. March 26, 2014 10:18 am

At least the dogs got treats both before and after the Magic Trick, as it says in the description. So they shouldn’t be too put out.

6. Shel
    Shel March 26, 2014 7:21 pm

I’m glad they got treats afterwards, for some of them didn’t think it was very funny either. I doubt they made the connection between the trick and the latter treat, though.