MamaLiberty May 11, 2014 10:54 am

Long term, there may be a silver lining to this dark cloud. Banks, pretty much without exception, are criminal operations to start with – in cahoots with the controllers at every level. People who want to be free need to find other ways to do business. This “chokepoint” thing will definitely accelerate that process. Banks and governments can discredit each other all they like, if you ask me.

The gray/black market is the creation of the government, of course, and will continue to thrive for as long as there is need… No government has ever had much success getting rid of it, and I don’t expect that to change. I still say that smuggling is the oldest profession. πŸ™‚

2. LarryA
    LarryA May 11, 2014 2:28 pm

[Banks, pretty much without exception, are criminal operations to start with – in cahoots with the controllers at every level.]

I’d quibble that banks aren’t in cahoots with controllers as much as they are under their control. Finance is probably the most heavily regulated field existing. Bankers tell me that about 95% of the business decisions they make are to comply with federal or state regulations.

Of course many bankers are willing hostages.

[I still say that smuggling is the oldest profession.]

3. MJR
    MJR May 12, 2014 9:48 am

I had not though that operation choke point was that bad. Now having rput it under the microscope I see that it is a very insidious piece of legislation.

It has been said that we up here in Canada are around ten years behind in legislation that is passed in the United States of America. Well if this is what I have to look forward to then I will have to find some sort of work around and I don’t like that. While there are dark days ahead, the light hasn’t been extinguished completely. So long as there are alternatives like Bitcoin, MazaCoin, Namecoin, Peercoin, good old cash etc… there is still hope.

When these are no longer viable and those in power start to choke the life out of free men & women then it will be time for some very hard decisions…

4. Grenadier1
    Grenadier1 May 13, 2014 6:21 am

It will come to an end…a har,d violent, bloody and firey end, but it will end.

MamaLiberty May 14, 2014 1:21 pm

[I still say that smuggling is the oldest profession.]

“It’s up there, but you can’ have any illegal profession until you have politicians passing laws to break.”

Of course, Larry… That is the point. πŸ™‚ Before politicians and their “laws,” it was simply trading.

6. R.L. Wurdack
    R.L. Wurdack May 15, 2014 6:55 am

I believe it’s Sweden that has stores in which cash is not an option. Approximately 2% of the transactions in that country (if my recollection is correct that it is Sweden) are cash. Approximately 8% of the transactions in the U.S. are cash. This datum is a couple of years old.

7. Jim Klein
    Jim Klein May 16, 2014 6:13 am

LarryA, if anything the controllers are in cahoots with the banks.

Mama had the silver lining…never underestimate the idiocy of idiots. “Sorry, you’ll simply have to engage cash or barter to engage these activities.” Maybe someone will be foolish enough to try it with beer, but I’m guessin’ not. Smuggling may be the third oldest profession…everyone knows what the first was, and the transportation to get there was the second!

Great piece, Claire; thanks for publicizing that.