1. Laird
    Laird June 2, 2014 12:07 pm

There’s an old saying that “cocaine is God’s way of saying that you make too much money.” I think you’ve just given us another example.

“A fool and his money are soon parted,” they say. What isn’t usually added is the corollary “and should be.” Some people are put on this earth just to be separated from their money.

Joel June 2, 2014 1:18 pm

Just to be a contrarian: If it’s as advertised, that one in the California mountains appears to be a steal at the price. Which tells me it’s probably not as advertised.

3. Matt, another
    Matt, another June 2, 2014 3:26 pm

First tiny house I lived in was made from a large Mr. Shed product. $1500.00 delivered. Probably put another $500.00 of materials finishing the interior. I don’t think it ever showed up on the county roles as anything more than storage shed.

Pat June 2, 2014 3:43 pm

A couple of those houses look big enough, but realizing that what you see is ALL you get, I couldn’t live in them.

I’ve gotten rid of a _huge_ amount of stuff over the past five years, and I do live minimally ― yet the older I get, I seem to need more space to breathe, and those houses don’t appear to give that. Have been wondering lately if an increasing lack of freedom triggers my spiritual (if not actual) claustrophobia.

The prices are ridiculous. I can understand buying a lot of land to say “keep away”, and I understand building a small house because it’s all you can afford, but I think some minimalist houses are being built as a sort of reverse snob appeal. From 4000 s.f. of a few years ago to 600 s.f. today is still saying “Hey, look at me.”

5. Karen
    Karen June 2, 2014 5:45 pm

Heaven knows! Our friend Joel is a trend setter sitting on/in a small fortune? Although I seem to remember another friend who lived in a yurt that probably wasn’t much bigger. Darned if I’m just always behind the times.

6. Curt S
    Curt S June 2, 2014 7:36 pm

Quick!!! Somone call the EPA!!! There has to be something in the water or in the air!! Seriously, I am beginning to think that people are either losing their minds….or they didn’t have one to begin with. Seems to me I remember something about people buying or building homes with the idea of having something decent to live in and economically sound with regard to cost. Then we have this thing about “location”. The idea of a home being an investment….I dunno….I guess the saying a fool and his money are soon parted is true. Whatever happend to the idea of just living???? Nah…..not any more, it is just another way of saying “Hey look at what I have”!!! Bunch of damm idiots.

7. Richard Wurdack
    Richard Wurdack June 3, 2014 8:36 am

I just finished (over a year and a half) building a 575 ft2 home that serves me well. It is at 3200 ft in the low mountains. It is totally solar/off grid. The wood stove used 0.6 cords keeping the place quite comfortable last winter.

During the build I lived in a 16 ft Pacific Yurt with an outhouse.

Flush toilet is a very nice lifestyle improvement.

I am a strong proponent of small houses, but this summer I am building a 20X20 shop and expanding my solar system.

8. EwB
    EwB June 4, 2014 11:39 am

OK. A small house. How about a big enough house? With my wife, myself, 13 kids, and usually a house guest or two, I figure we need a house slightly bigger than average sized. Preferable made of tree trunks, concrete and cast iron just to survive the normal wear and tear of all those kids rushing through on their errands of mayhem and chaos.

But,oh yes, 250 square feet of solitude and silence, in a little shed/shop/office/retreat away from chaos manor, would be PRICELESS.