Saturday linkfest

• I guess this has been around a while, but I just saw it: David Codrea’s Physician Liability Form. Print this out and hand it to any boundary-violating doctor who tries to poke into your gun ownership!
  • I found that via Kurt Hofmann who delivers a hearty smackdown to Mike the anti-gun “Gun Guy.” Anti-gun Mike’s latest BS is that the doesn’t think disabled people should be “allowed” to defend themselves.
  • Speaking of people who want to determine what’s good for you, the push to data-mine more of our health info is getting stronger and creepier.
  • Larry Page of the increasingly Don’t Be Evil Google thinks he could save “100,000 lives” a year if we’d all just trust him more. This is the same Google that’s basically an arm of the NSA. The same Google that just announced plans to ban all “dangerous” advertising. Which (she sighs with weary resignation) of course includes ads for you-know-what.
  • Oh yes, and it’s the same Google whose already-creepy surveillance products can be hacked so pathetically easily that real hackers wouldn’t even consider it a challenge.
  • But that ain’t nothin’, folks. Ain’t nothin’. You want to see real fanboy worship of Total Control Through Technology (TM)? Read this Economist article on birth-to-death e-ID. Wow. Such glowing. Much foolish. (Doge meme for anyone who thinks I’ve just lost all sense of grammar.)

Pat June 28, 2014 10:55 am

Claire, I give myself a break on the weekends and don’t read any bloody news. But you’ve just given me five out of six bad items to peruse. Does that mean I shouldn’t read your blog on the weekends, too? (I do like the Physician Liability Form, however.)

MamaLiberty June 28, 2014 11:00 am

Find a doctor like this: http://www.surgerycenterok.com/
    http://surgerycenterofoklahoma.tumblr.com/ (Dr. Smith’s blog)

More and more medical professionals are leaning this way, and if you go looking for them, it will encourage the practice.

No medicare, medicaid or insurance accepted. They will cooperate with you to give you the records needed to bill your insurance yourself, but they won’t deal with them directly. Prices are a fraction of regular hospial and doctor charges, often less than your “deductible.”

And on top of that, they do not use the electronic medical records, and do not share your records with anyone without a specific court order.

Claire June 28, 2014 12:27 pm

Sorry, Pat. Just had to get those links out of my browser, but I know what you mean.

If it’s any consolation, I’ve got a pair of much, much happier posts queued up for tomorrow. Many links with only one negative in the bunch (and even that negative implies some positive developments)

4. jed
    jed June 28, 2014 6:03 pm

I was just reading, the other day, about the health data broker business. (4th graph) BTW, the Risks Digest is a great resource. Uh, possibly depressing as well.

So … how about a cat picture! (Dog included)

BTW, today is Field Day. I suppose I should take the radio out in the yard, and call CQ while on battery power — pro forma, of course. Somehow, I don’t see how engaging in a frenzy of making radio contacts helps me prepare for disaster communications.

5. LarryA
    LarryA June 28, 2014 11:53 pm

Love to see Trevor Baucom visit Mike.

I also have several students I’d take along.

6. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau June 29, 2014 7:12 am

Wow, that Doge meme site attempted to set a shit-load of cookies. And that cat picture site did too.Talk about annoying…

That physician liability form is cool. I take care of the problem by avoiding doctors for the most part. Anyway I have never had a doctor ask about guns.

Thanks for those links MamaLiberty.

7. jed
    jed June 29, 2014 8:31 am

I do 97% of my web surfing with cookies and JavaScript disabled. I tend to not notice those things. And, those things are why I set my brower up that way to start with.

8. LarryA
    LarryA June 29, 2014 3:01 pm

Well, I used to. But the list is getting so long… Now it’s pressure cookers?