Tuesday links

• The more powerful people are, the more time they perceive they have. Interesting. And an insight into why some of us always feel as if we’re scrambling just to keep up!
  • And here’s the schedule those successful people follow.
  • This came up at Joel’s place the other day. I think it was MJR who linked it. In any case, it’s cool in more ways than one — poor man’s air conditioning.
  • Hm. Jeffrey Snider also goes on (as I recently did) about how seventeenth century England made such a difference to Americans. Then he goes on. And on. About modern-day political thievery. Long but interesting.*
  • Jury frees man who shot at cops who were too stupid and lazy to bother checking an address.
  • And things continue to look up! Woman wins big settlement after cop steals her money and arrests her on false charges. (H/T Say Uncle)
  • Everybody knows about Sherman committing war crimes as he pillaged and burned his way to the sea. But I never knew Sheridan did the same thing farther north — on orders from Grant and with the blessing and thanks of Lincoln.

* He screws up saying that Locke fled England under James I. It was James II. But that’s just being technical. Locke was a pretty amazing person and one to whom we also owe much.

1. Curt S
    Curt S July 29, 2014 12:09 pm

When oh when are people going to have enough??? Wrong addresses, choke holds, theft, this thing about “civil forfiture”….. It is not only the cops, the damm politicians are even worse. I have heard that the cops are getting scared. well I wonder why? One thing that should be done….when a cop makes a mistake as in wrong address, pulling some bullshit as in the lady who was pulled over….that’s it…can the SOB on the spot…also black ball him or her. Sure, some people are assholes…they get pulled over and they go off on a tangent. Some guy gets arrested and he goes apeshit…well guess what…crap like that comes with the territory, get used to it or get a different job!

2. LarryA
    LarryA July 29, 2014 6:08 pm

One caviet ref the air conditioning: We had an evaporation unit in our home in Barstow, CA. Worked great in the desert. Cooled well and helped keep the furniture from drying out.

Don’t try it any place as humid as Houston.

3. MJR
    MJR July 30, 2014 6:07 am

Yes Claire I’m the culprit that sent the poor mans AC to Joel. I made one a while ago for our hunt/fishing camp and LarryA is absolutely right when he says it works well except when it’s real humid.

4. Borepatch
    Borepatch July 30, 2014 8:55 am

Regarding Sheridan, if you get to remoter parts of the Shenandoah valley, they hate Sheridan’s guts as much as they hate Sherman in Georgia.

We hung Nazis at Nurnberg for less. And I say that as a born and bred yankee.

5. Scott
    Scott July 30, 2014 9:32 am

That’s a swamp cooler-great for low-humidity areas, not so for humid places.

6. LarryA
    LarryA July 30, 2014 9:51 am

In the end you have to file Sherman, Sheridan, Bleeding Kansas, True to the Union, and any number of other such stories under “civil war is never civil.”

Reconstruction wasn’t much better, but in the end the U.S. buried the Civil War hatchet faster than most other countries have.

The hot-right-now Israel v Arab thing is going on 4000 years.

7. LarryA
    LarryA July 30, 2014 9:52 am

Nazis were on the losing side.

8. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau July 30, 2014 5:49 pm

Thanks for the poor man’s air conditioning, I may try that some time. What I do usually is retreat to the basement, or put on a wet t-shirt (now that’s invigorating, heh). My wife wonders why I don’t just turn on the AC, but I guess I am a primitive.

Yeah Sheridan was a bastard. You can tell, by how many towns are named after him.

Our friend Robert Hawes wrote this book (which I edited some). He gets into some of the blood curdling crap Sheridan did.