Midweek links

• Chortle. Mexicans (presumably Mexican yuppies) are now importing pot from the U.S.
  • Sigh. I really thought the Buddhists were better than this. Okay, it’s not Buddhists. It’s the gummint of Myanmar, so not exactly the heart of enlightenment. But still people, get a clue. If you have to force others to respect your holy men, it’s clear you don’t actually think your holy men are worthy of respect on their own.
  • The GNU Manifesto turns 30 this year. (H/T jed)
  • Raising up a whole new generation of shooters. Of course, it’s all the fault of the eeeevil gun industry. But still an encouraging article. (Tip o’ hat to LA)
  • Another powerful one from Mike V: “The E.N.D. Game and the End of Games.” While I hope it never comes to shooting, certainly the nabobs are better targets than their almost endlessly replaceable minions.
  • How it happened in Detroit: one home at a time. Very sad, very well-told story.
  • Two from TZP on the awful doom once again looming over Europe’s Jews: first my take on a recent, must-read Atlantic article; then Y.B. ben Avraham says a shofar is calling Jews home.

1. Kyle
    Kyle March 18, 2015 5:47 am

Claire,

Have you seen anything about ZRTP in your news cycle feed? It’d be nice if some of those computer programmers were developing a more user friendly implementation of it so we can finally have encryption for our voice comms, such as VoIP & cellular.

Claire March 18, 2015 8:35 am

Kyle — I long ago stopped tracking most upcoming tech products (aka vaporware at best). And currently I personally avoid all e-voicecoms as much as possible so haven’t focused on new developments. I know you’re interested in this area (and I will be, too, when there are truly secure products actually available for voice coms). So if you come across good info on VOIP/cell privacy technologies, please feel free to post.

Me, I got burned once (anticipating and hyping a long-ago product that was supposed to ensure secure phone coms for under $100, but that cost over $900 per phone when it finally emerged) and I don’t waste my time any more on tech/products that might, someday, if we’re lucky, be on the market and might, someday, if we’re lucky, perform per their hype. As I mentioned in an earlier comment, the recent security fails of the much-vaunted Blackphone simply reinforce my lack of interest.

When Zimmerman et al. put a product on the market that’s hacker-vetted, then I’ll happily hype it.

3. Matt, another
    Matt, another March 18, 2015 9:39 am

The Myanmar government is not exactly known for it’s tolerance or libertarian approach, to anything. Historically Buddhism has not always been pacifist in nature.

4. david
    david March 18, 2015 9:51 am

1) It seems that the particular insanity that is Islam has permeated Myanmar quite deeply.

2) College science geeks in shooting clubs? This is the beginning of the end of wedgies, isn’t it?

3) E.N.D. Game is a good idea – but we need to remember the “N”s aren’t in uniform. Tactically, those are useful targets, but technically and in the long run, the cancer in society is wearing either tie or high heels, and sometimes both. And we need a priority list for those.

4) It would be funny (maybe ‘interesting’ and not so funny) to see what would happen to a convoy of white Tahoe’s if it were suddenly being interrupted by a bunch of pickups with two armed personnel in them. Say, 5 Tahoe’s vs. a dozen pick-ups cutting passing one at a time until they were all separated by two trucks. Do you think they would call for air support? Or boogie back to the barracks? Or get scared and start shooting? I wonder….

5) I also wonder if GNU would make hacking harder, and finding the hackers easier? Anybody know?

5. david
    david March 18, 2015 9:52 am

OOPs. sorry. I didn’t mean “finding the hackers”, I meant retaliating in kind against the hackers!

6. jed
    jed March 18, 2015 3:52 pm

Well, since GNU has been around for 30 years, it’s already responsible for making cracking more difficult. But “difficult” has to be taken relatively. And it also isn’t so much GNU itself, but the fact that operating systems other than Windows have tended to have better privilege seperation mechanisms. But the GNU philosophy has certainly been instrumental in making these other operating systems more accessible to the consumer.

As for ease of retaliation, I don’t think there’s any particular association one can make.

I don’t know anything about ZRTP, but I think it’d be possible to do securely encrypted voice comm using SIP2SIP. Michael Dean would know about that, I think. Or, I could actually do some research. 🙂

7. LarryA
    LarryA March 18, 2015 11:02 pm

Every time someone blogs, “All your guns won’t make any difference. The Army has tanks and planes and nukes and battleships” I think, “But it isn’t the military that’s meddling with us.”

* Yeah, I know what the branches have, but the naysayers almost always say, “the Army.”

8. Laird
    Laird March 19, 2015 8:59 am

Tanks and armored personnel carriers are worrisome, but frankly neither battleships nor nukes concerns me.

9. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau March 23, 2015 11:03 am

That article about shooting sports in colleges, reported in the Washington Post, is just more proof that Gun Control Is Dead.