The good and the bad on Independence weekend

“Sorry folks, Independence Day is canceled.”

But on the other hand, America isn’t becoming more liberal. It’s becoming more libertarian. (H/T MJR)

Now, if only the message could get through to our growing corps of social justice warriors, inflexible bureaucrats, authoritarian congressthings, thuggish cops, etc.

MamaLiberty July 5, 2015 9:39 am

The “social justice warriors, inflexible bureaucrats, authoritarian congressthings, thuggish cops, etc.” will never accept individual liberty, self ownership, as an alternative to their control. Forget about it.

When enough of the general population accepts self ownership and rejects the bogus “authority” of the above, then we’ll have something to celebrate… perhaps with lamp post parties for those of the above who prove unmoved to repentance.

2. jed
    jed July 5, 2015 10:53 am

So many things I could mention today. Sigh. I’ve gotten quite cynical about Independence Day. Mike Vanderboegh has a good cartoon up. Ayep, that’s what it is. Salon has an article about how Adams, Franklin, and Paine all believed in extra-terrestrials. But instead, here’s a musical tribute, done in a unique manner.

Joel July 5, 2015 12:18 pm

Except for guns, where there have been some possibly significant gains (which still confuse me, I confess,) that FEE article says to me that the country is getting more libertine, not more libertarian. When the leviathan state grows bigger and more powerful over the strong objection of a majority of citizens or not at all, then I’ll believe people are moving toward libertarianism. When the welfare ranks shrink and the parasite class becomes a pariah, then maybe I’ll believe it. When a phony-baloney ‘public sector’ job isn’t a mark of pride, then maybe I’ll believe it. Until then it’s Soma and Sex for Everybody.

4. jed
    jed July 5, 2015 1:38 pm

Where do I sign up for the Sex?

Joel July 5, 2015 1:58 pm

Where do I sign up for the Sex?

Any gay bar, but now you might need to get married first.

6. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau July 5, 2015 2:21 pm

[the country is getting more libertine, not more libertarian. When the leviathan state grows bigger and more powerful over the strong objection of a majority of citizens or not at all, then I’ll believe people are moving toward libertarianism.]

You are confusing the two, as if the opinions of the peons had any effect on the actions of the ruling class. Of course those two things are independent. The parasites continue to grow no matter what the host organism’s opinion of them.

I don’t see the libertine thing. Because people think gays marrying is none of their business, is not the same thing as saying they themselves want a gay marriage.

7. Seibert
    Seibert July 5, 2015 5:59 pm

I believe that being a Libertarian means that I do as I please….as long as I am willing to pay the price and not expect others to carry me. Heinlein was so very free-wheeling in his personal choices (ay, carramba), but would have laughed at the notion that someone else pay.

8. LarryA
    LarryA July 5, 2015 11:38 pm

Heinlein was so very free-wheeling in his personal choices (ay, carramba),

Heinlein was an author who wrote stories featuring some characters who made “free-wheeling” choices, and some characters who didn’t. That doesn’t mean he and Virginia participated in such.

9. Bill St. Clair
    Bill St. Clair July 6, 2015 5:03 am

I’ll celebrate Independence Day when the concept of taxation is eliminated, when I can ask anyone I want to recommend any medication I desire, and I can buy and use it without asking anyone’s permission, when there is no longer a concept of automobile registration or licensing of drivers, or anything else, when anyone can make, sell, buy, possess, carry, or, in defense of self or innocent other, use ANY weapon, without showing any identification or undergoing any kind of background check.

10. david
    david July 6, 2015 5:48 am

I don’t see a libertarian tendency as odd or remarkable. To me it would seem to be a natural response to overweening federal power and intrusion. And the more the feds continue to waste our nation’s resources on trying to buy ‘social justice’, to intrude into our lives and pockets, and to throw around the fedgov’s ‘weight’ and bully citizens, the more libertarian we as a nation will become.

Fedgov will bring about it’s own demise with it’s actions unless it changes – but it will not ‘see’ that. It will do what feds always and everywhere do – double down on the power plays and ‘enforcement’, causing even more of us to feel rebellious.

11. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau July 6, 2015 8:30 am

The FEE article left out the growth of homeschooling, a HUGE defeat for the ruling class. And look how popular the Internet is; now everybody has access to information uncontrolled by the government gatekeepers – also another indicator of the libertarian direction things are going. And digital currencies…

12. LarryA
    LarryA July 6, 2015 11:26 am

SJWs et al see the world in 50 shades of liberal to conservative. That’s how they frame the question, “Is [name] liberal or conservative?” Folks who are pro-gay are liberal, folks who are pro-gun are conservative. Folks who are both are… It blows their mind.
    They have no idea who libertarians are, what they stand for, or how to measure their influence.

Claire July 6, 2015 11:38 am

Agreed that SJW’s have no clue about libertarians.

But I don’t even think they go as far as 50 shades of anything. In their world it’s “people who think correctly — like me” and “racist, homophobic, superstitious, violent throwbacks who should be purged from society.”