Monday links

• Oh man, this creep should be Bloomberg’s next anti-gun spokesthing. “I just … um, yeah, I just found the gun right there on the bench! And as soon as I picked it up it started … um, going off all by itself! Three times!”
  • I have no idea whether Ellen Pau should be fired. But this Reddit revolt is impressive in this day of corporatized Internet.
  • I officially doubt this ever happened. But I can see good horror movie material here. (H/T Jim B. in comments)
  • More on the Texas plan to repatriate and store the state’s gold. A hint at secession?
  • Did foreign governments (including perhaps our “good friends” the Saudis) bankroll 9/11? And more importantly, why aren’t we allowed to know?
  • You should read Maggie McNeill’s July 4th post “My Police State ‘Tis of Thee.” But even more, read her July 4, 2014 post “The Spirit of ’76.” Which is actually about the Roman Empire.
  • Kevin Wilmeth on the larger picture of the “you MUST bake my cake” bullying.
  • Seven political cartoons for your post-Fourth pleasure. (H/T Shel in comments)

1. jed
    jed July 6, 2015 3:27 pm

I’d like to take credit, but that was Shel.

I’d say Texas is doing the right thing. Meanwhile, in Greece … not so much.

Claire July 6, 2015 3:28 pm

“I’d like to take credit, but that was Shel.”

Oops! Sorry, Shel. I meant to doublecheck that, but … Anyhow, good stuff.

3. Jim B.
    Jim B. July 7, 2015 8:34 am

I suspect that it was a small dog. Smaller creatures can attack something bigger if they swarm them. I’m also kinda surprised you didn’t say anything about Cannibal Bambi. ; )

4. Laird
    Laird July 7, 2015 9:09 am

The federal government spends enormous resources taking states like Texas and Arizona to court to prevent them from enforcing the nation’s immigration laws (in other words, from doing ICE’s job for it). So why don’t they spend a single cent challenging San Francisco and other soi–disant “sanctuary cities” who are actively obstructing federal immigration law? A few criminal prosecutions against the persons responsible for establishing and implementing this policy would do wonders.

I know nothing about Ellen Pao, and I don’t use Reddit, but I’m impressed by the internet jihad against her. I liked the petition’s reference to her as “a manipulative individual who will sue her way to the top”. If that’s true (and judging by her lawsuit against Kleiner Perkins I’m inclined to give it credence) she is the type of person who deserves to be slapped down. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

5. Laird
    Laird July 7, 2015 9:33 am

Two great essays by Maggie McNeill. Thanks for linking them.

6. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau July 7, 2015 11:14 am

I never have figured out what Reddit is or how it works. But yeah, slap the litigious bitch down. I’ll join that lynch mob. 🙂

Squirrels… I saw a squirrel attacking a human on a commercial once, does that count?

It’s weird to me that some people think enforcing immigration laws has anything to do with liberty. I mean, I think there are some fairly plausible arguments for restricting immigration (not necessarily winning arguments, but at least they make some sense). But liberty?

With this cake baking thing, I guess conservatives are now getting a dose of their own medicine. Bottom line, only repress people who have no chance of ending up in power over you some day. 😉

7. LarryA
    LarryA July 7, 2015 7:06 pm

Hasn’t been very long since that pretty much described gays.

The law doesn’t say where the (Texas gold) depository would be or how it should be built or secured.

Hell, just stack the stuff in the governor’s garage with a cot, a coffee maker, and a Texas Ranger.

8. Laird
    Laird July 8, 2015 8:41 am

Paul, you are absolutely correct that immigration laws have nothing to do with liberty. But if the concept of “nation” means anything (yes, that’s a separate discussion) at a minimum it means deciding to whom to grant entry. And in a welfare state such as the US controlling immigration is essential. Eliminate the welfare state and we can discuss open borders, but not until then.