The “Mo” inspiration table is done.
Since I have a tendency to overwork art projects (eventually “perfecting” them straight into ruination), I forced myself to stop early by varnishing the tabletop even though there were still elements that were either unfinished or not to my satisfaction. That the painting is rough-edged and imperfect is a feature, not a bug.
Having forced myself to quit putzing with the painting, I glued seed beads all the way down the grooves in the legs and affixed larger baubles where the legs join the top.
Above are the baubles and beads on the legs flanking the (Modigliani-inspired) face. The center doodad on each side leg is a beautiful earring that MamaLiberty happened to include in a package as I was working on this project. A nice bit of serendipity; the earrings are perfect. ML also later provided paints I needed to finish the tabletop (so I wouldn’t have to break my rule of using only materials on hand — nothing bought).
The final photo shows the beading I used on the legs at the top and bottom of the oval. I didn’t have as nice a center bauble here as on the sides. The color’s a little wrong. Oh well. The entire production is meant to be funky.
Though I make no pretense of this being Great Art, overall I’m pretty pleased. It actually came out a lot like I envisioned it a year ago when I first spotted the old table at a garage sale. Biggest change: I originally planned much, much more elaborate beadwork, not just tiny detail like this. But I decided not to bead the top because it’s going to be a working bedside table and I didn’t want teacups or alarm clocks tipping on raised surfaces. And I decided not to do elaborate loops of beads on the legs or around the edges, again to make it more practical as a working table. (Didn’t want to reach out in the middle of the night and accidentally claw off some elegant swoop of beadwork.)
So I could have gotten fancier and done more. But it’ll do.