Midweek links

• This public murder + mass act of cowardice happened (in gun-free DC, no surprise) on July 4. I just heard about it. If this is how disarmed and “civilized” people behave, you can take your civilization and … ahem.
  • A social justice warrior has doubts about herself.
  • I’m no Rand Paul fan. But suing to stop the horrible FATCA law is a fine idea.
  • One good thing about the Greek crisis. If you’re in the market for a private island, you can now get a fire-sale price on one. Relatively speaking.
  • Are these the death throes of Flash? (H/T PT)
  • TZP has been hopping lately. Special attention to two very recent posts by Nicki. “Loopholes” and the South Carolina church shooter. And quite literally a “no-brainer” : a San Francisco supervisor wants to punish the berg’s only gun store (and any others that might ever be so foolish as to locate in the city) for something it didn’t even remotely do.
  • Fascinating and mostly well-done New Yorker article on the Big One that will someday wallop the Pacific Northwest. (Via jed in comments)

1. Shel
    Shel July 15, 2015 8:20 pm

I had seen the article on the DC stabbing. We’re definitely on our own out there.

Thanks for the warning about the West Coast. I don’t have any desire to experience an event of seismic proportions. The article did note that roads won’t be usable. Perhaps if you turned Old Blue into a trar, your odds would be better. http://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/4×4-camaro-goes-where-no-other-muscle-car-can/

2. LarryA
    LarryA July 15, 2015 10:53 pm

And it happened while D.C. is fighting tooth-and-claw to keep from issuing carry licenses because nobody “needs” to carry a gun unless they have lots of cash or have been personally threatened.

If I knew Sutherland I’d be picketing SCotUS until they killed discretionary licensing. Or went all the way, and just killed licensing.

OTOH, “cowards?” Why would people who aren’t even supposed to protect themselves (If he wants your wallet, give him your wallet, otherwise someone might get hurt) have any obligation to assist anyone else. After all, they did call 911 and rely on the police. [spit]

3. Sawbuck
    Sawbuck July 16, 2015 6:40 am

I work in DC for a few years back in the early 2000s. The Metro is a road show version of “Lord of the Flies”. Minor issues: No one gives up their seats to the disabled or pregnant woman. I always did and was accused of being a “tourist”.

Major issues: I saw people collapse on the train, and other people on the car would yell for people to help drag the unconscious person from the train so the train would not be delayed. If the person were collapsed on the train – we had to wait for EMTs, if on the platform, the trains ran. One post-Christmas I saw a fistfight break out between a yuppie and a priest (He was wearing is collar!) over turf as they were trying to squeeze into the car. I knew then I had to get out of that city.

Sadly, I was only surprised by this story in that it hadn’t happened before. The moral and physical cowardice of that city appalls me still. The DC we see on TV never rides Metro – they travel with drivers above ground.

4. 12bitphoto
    12bitphoto July 16, 2015 11:29 am

No Larry, if you knew Mr. Sutherland you likely wouldn’t be picketing SCOTUS about discretionary licensing because you’d be like him: an anti-gun prog seeking to deny the rest of us the means to defend ourselves against thugs like his killer.

While I don’t wish such a brutal and horrific attack on anyone, I can’t feel a lot of sympathy for Mr. Sutherland. In a way he was the victim of his ideology. Mr. Sutherland was a Statist, anti-gun, anti-selfdefense, SJW and Democratic operative. His killer is the product of the very kind of society Mr. Sutherland was working hard to force upon the rest of us, the microcosm of which exists now in our Mordor on the Potomac.

5. Kristophr
    Kristophr July 16, 2015 6:20 pm

Buying Greek property is a trap.

The Greek government charges confiscatory property taxes, uses extradition to jail delinquent property owners, and refuses to just seize the property, because that would end their ability to tax the owner.

6. jesse bogan
    jesse bogan July 16, 2015 6:31 pm

I live in the hell hole of DC. Actually a native born DC -ite. However I would not ride the metro if they paid me, nor a bus, and a cab only if it was too far to walk. The DC government is anti rights in general, and anti 2A specifically. They can and do arrest and prosecute citizens here for the possession of a spent shell. But not evidently the perpetrators of assaults. Don’t ever come here if you can possibly avoid it.

7. Kevin Wilmeth
    Kevin Wilmeth July 17, 2015 12:35 am

Regarding the “social justice warrior”:

Poor widdle woobie.

The life of such self-evidently superior beings must truly be hard, in a way that We The Unwashed simply cannot comprehend.

I worry not that her doubts trouble her. After all, until others shape things up to remove these problems from her world, the plasmic glory that is her unsolicited opinion will lay blunted: all but fallow, unused, incapable of being the blinding light of change she envisions herself shining all up in the eyes of everyone who didn’t ask for it.

Because, you know, “doubts”. Not “ZOMG, I’m a complete and total Sheila Broflovski“, but “doubts”.